ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What has my dozy mechanic done? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1010269-what-has-my-dozy-mechanic-done.html)

stamina_daddy 21 August 2014 08:42 PM

What has my dozy mechanic done?

Hi there, not been on for a while.
Had my friend mechanic who is normally very good with all he does but seems to have buggered something along the way.
I got him to change my rattley cat up pipe to an sti one and now there's oil coming out from back of engine somewhere and car has no boost what so ever?
I understand I need to get remapped and will do in due course.
What could he have disturbed or not put back pproperly.it looks slightly wet on top of turbo where I think a banjo bolt is but seems to much oil for just that.
He's now on holiday till next week so can't ask him.
I'm not to familiar with workings of turbo and have massive hands for my sins so probably won't be able to do anything anyway.
It's not my main car so it can just wait till he gets back.
I just did the cat delete resistor and cleared eml.

scooby87 21 August 2014 09:07 PM

The turbo has to be removed to change the up pipe so the oil leak could be a few things, the oil feed you mentioned or the oil return pipe underneath.

As for no boost that could be a few more things, things not tight or pipes connected the wrong way.... maybe the restrictor pill is now in the wrong place.

The oil feed btw if not right will leak sh!t loads of oil.

stamina_daddy 21 August 2014 09:15 PM

Ok.i only looked briefly as it was getting dark.
It didn't look like the turbo had been removed but I only had a quick look.
I'll look more tomorrow.
I drove for maybe 10 mins and maybe looks like half a litre of oil has been tipped down the back of engine and is sprayed along the underside of car.

rb5 stu 21 August 2014 09:16 PM

If your uppipe was rattling it will have been the cat in it, bits of the cat have maybe went through your turbo and then engine.

Kwik 21 August 2014 09:16 PM

Did he not drive it afterwards to check all was ok?

I'd mirror whats been said above, maybe the oil return clip is loose. It's a bit of a bitch to get to. And the same with the pipework. Find the boost solenoid and check the hoses coming from it go to the turbo, the wastegate and somewhere on the manifold.

merlin24 21 August 2014 09:16 PM

+1 for the oil return rubber pipe under the turbo - will p*ss out if the hose isnt located or the clips are insecure.

Mick

scubbay 21 August 2014 09:17 PM

Sounds like he has disturbed your oil return pipe under the turbo and right beside your recently replaced up-pipe

the shreksta 21 August 2014 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy (Post 11496198)
Ok.i only looked briefly as it was getting dark.
It didn't look like the turbo had been removed but I only had a quick look.
I'll look more tomorrow.
I drove for maybe 10 mins and maybe looks like half a litre of oil has been tipped down the back of engine and is sprayed along the underside of car.

Free undersealing then :lol1:

stamina_daddy 21 August 2014 09:25 PM

Thanks for replying.
I'll have a good look tomorrow.
I've got the old upipe and it all looks intact inside and was moving around on the whole.
would he definitely have to take turbo off?

stamina_daddy 21 August 2014 09:30 PM

If he didn't remove turbo why would it not be boosting?
I had a quick look with free torque pro and boost on idle was minus 8.8 ish.
Not sure if this means anything at all.
should I drive it and report back boost pressure?

scooby87 21 August 2014 09:34 PM

You can't remove the up pipe without removing the turbo, the turbo sits of the up pipe.

I wouldn't drive it with the leak from there, will smoke lots and loose loads of oil..

stamina_daddy 21 August 2014 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by scooby87 (Post 11496227)
You can't remove the up pipe without removing the turbo, the turbo sits of the up pipe.

I wouldn't drive it with the leak from there, will smoke lots and loose loads of oil..

Ok.wasnt going to drive until sorted leak.
Where is the restrict or pill meant to be?

Rob Day 21 August 2014 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy (Post 11496251)
Ok.wasnt going to drive until sorted leak.
Where is the restrict or pill meant to be?

It's in one of the Vacuum pipes that leads to the boost controller (I think). It is basically a small pill with a hole drilled out of it, this restricts the flow of air thus makes more/less boost. I cant see why for life in me this pipe would have been removed entirely, but maybe he has swapped some vac pipes round, and now the pill is in the wrong vac?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bo...es%3B650%3B650

my94wrx 21 August 2014 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by scooby87 (Post 11496227)

why? i have done it many times with leaving the turbo in place, once all the bolts are loose remove the two engine mounting nuts and jack the engine up and the up pipe comes down from underneath

stamina_daddy 21 August 2014 10:54 PM

Cheers, can it just fall out if pipes off?

Rob Day 21 August 2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy (Post 11496308)
Cheers, can it just fall out if pipes off?

Not really, there pretty much wedged in there. To remove them in the past takes a bit of spit and a lot of squeezing, and in some cases some pliers.

Turbotits 22 August 2014 06:04 AM

Sorry but you definatly can change an up-pipe without removing the turbo.
I preference doing them with the turbo in place

johned 22 August 2014 01:32 PM

Changed my up pipe a few weeks ago and left the turbo in place.

JdcTypeR 22 August 2014 02:27 PM

+1 ive done a few uppipes and have never taken the turbo off.

BrownPantsRacing 22 August 2014 02:34 PM

Trouble is there is no telling what damage could have been done to the turbo now if it's been run on no oil or with oil starvation. If you say the car feels like it's lost power then this is not a great sign.

My guess would be the oil drain/return pipe on the bottom of the turbo has not been put back correctly. They are a pain in the arse to get on. Sounds like he may have removed the turbo even though it wasn't really required.

Hope you sort it.

stamina_daddy 22 August 2014 05:27 PM

Update.
I removed intercooler and turbo heatshield.
What it looks like to me is the top of return hose is not on fully as the little hose clip just spins.its on but obviously not fully and the oil must be getting blown out around it.
If it's not boosting could turbo be buggered?
Do you of think I should a.remove up pipe and push return on or b.remove turbo and check it first.Or c.you lot have a better idea.
Thanks for replies.

jazzyjembreaze 22 August 2014 05:36 PM

Another "my mechanic" thread
Sorry but sounds like he should go back & learn his trade
Hope your friendship doesn't suffer if your ride is broke

stamina_daddy 22 August 2014 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze (Post 11496730)
Another "my mechanic" thread
Sorry but sounds like he should go back & learn his trade
Hope your friendship doesn't suffer if your ride is broke

I've known him for around 15 years and he's done countless jobs for me.what can I do? These things happen.
Worst case is new turbo isn't it?

stamina_daddy 22 August 2014 05:44 PM

There isn't any smoke out the back of car, how do I check if turbo is damaged.
Would it just seize up and not spin?

Rob Day 22 August 2014 06:37 PM

I don't know what power your car is, but if you can gauge, would you say its lost 50% power?

Is there any other noises that weren't present prior?

Is there any check lights on the dash?

Could it be in limp mode?

Oil issue will be east to fix if you can get under the car, ot maybe you have fixed it if the Y pipe was loose on the turbo? However I cant see this pipe pushing the amount of oil out that you described, I've only ever seen a small amount in the intercooler pipes.

Rob

stamina_daddy 22 August 2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Day (Post 11496775)
I don't know what power your car is, but if you can gauge, would you say its lost 50% power?

Is there any other noises that weren't present prior?

Is there any check lights on the dash?

Could it be in limp mode?

Oil issue will be east to fix if you can get under the car, ot maybe you have fixed it if the Y pipe was loose on the turbo? However I cant see this pipe pushing the amount of oil out that you described, I've only ever seen a small amount in the intercooler pipes.

Rob

Oil return pipe off turbo rob.

stamina_daddy 22 August 2014 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy (Post 11496788)
Oil return pipe off turbo rob.

It's the top of the oil return pipe I'm thinking it's blowing past.

stamina_daddy 22 August 2014 06:56 PM

It's ppp 05 wagon.
It didn't seem to boost at all and I couldn't hear any spooling etc.
There was lights on dash from changing up pipe but I switched it off with resistor cat delete thingy.

Rob Day 29 August 2014 11:39 AM

Any update?

stamina_daddy 29 August 2014 12:43 PM

Tried to get turbo off the other day and was stopped by a rounded off dp nut and snapped a Halford pro rachet.
So today my new rachet and new rubber turbo return pipe arrived.
I'm going to get the irwin nut grip sockets today and give it a go over the weekend.
My mechanic isn't back till next week and if it is the split pipe I can't really blame him.