ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   What's the best phone? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1008884-whats-the-best-phone.html)

pimmo2000 29 July 2014 07:50 AM

What's the best phone?

I've been a member of the S family now for years, it's not that I fancy a change, I'd just like to know if it's still the best option?

Not interested in iPhones :D

What about those waterproof ones?

mrtheedge2u2 29 July 2014 07:56 AM

No idea which is best on a side-by-side comparison level. I use an SIII at the moment. Will probably go for an S4 in a little while. Just do not see the point in paying over the odds for the latest and "greatest" new phone as i do not need it.

andy97 29 July 2014 09:08 AM

It will be the galaxy note 4 in September

ditchmyster 29 July 2014 09:11 AM

The one that has a signal and works anywhere when you need to make a call. ;)

http://www.google.hr/search?q=motoro...hp%3B240%3B209

:D

dpb 29 July 2014 09:13 AM

G3. :thumb:

jonc 29 July 2014 09:16 AM

Depends what you want to use it for! :lol1:

These days phones aren't used just for making and taking calls, it's become more of a secondary function!. Also size of phones is a big consideration. I think the best are LG G3 for screen, Samsung Galaxy S5 for camera, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for phablet, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact for “small” phone, Sony Xperia Z2 for battery life, but I think the one regarded as the best overall is the HTC One M8.

pimmo2000 29 July 2014 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11478406)
Depends what you want to use it for! :lol1:

These days phones aren't used just for making and taking calls, it's become more of a secondary function!. Also size of phones is a big consideration. I think the best are LG G3 for screen, Samsung Galaxy S5 for camera, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for phablet, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact for “small” phone, Sony Xperia Z2 for battery life, but I think the one regarded as the best overall is the HTC One M8.

:notworthy:thumb:

Matt_STi 29 July 2014 10:47 AM

I have a Google Nexus 5 and I love it. It's so cheap every month and has a fantastic camera.

Battery life is around a day but that includes playing games and surfing the net.

is it waterproof? I'm not sure. I presume not!

stevebt 29 July 2014 11:45 AM

I have the s5 and its splash and dust proof and thats good enough for me. The size bugs me as they are getting too big. The HTC m8 and the Sony z2 are bigger again and weigh more so they would definately be off my list.

I think I would wait and see what the s5 mini has to offer if they are making one?

scotty boy 80 29 July 2014 12:13 PM

Sony Z1 or Z2

Tidgy 29 July 2014 12:14 PM

all the latest batch of phones are much of a muchness when it comes down to performance, anyone who says different is just a fanboy of what ever make

Chip 29 July 2014 12:27 PM

HTC one! :thumb:

pimmo2000 30 July 2014 06:18 AM

I took advantage of having a HTC, Sony Z1 and S5 in work and the S5 pisses all over them for speed. It is full of bloat but still.

The HTC is a nice looking phone with the Sony confusing me which was the front :)

Bored Secretary 30 July 2014 09:19 AM

Nexus 5 if you vanilla Android is your thing.

Giffgaff as a provider if not being tied to a stupidly long contract is your thing also. Their contract arrangements are ahead of the pack by a huge margin.

dpb 30 July 2014 10:21 AM

S4/ S5 isn't just dust and water resistant,you could go swimming with it!

dpb 30 July 2014 10:22 AM

Nexus 5 looks the best without turning it on

Rob_Impreza99 30 July 2014 12:19 PM

Phones are personal choice, its whatever you like and it suits your lifestyle thats the best.

bioforger 30 July 2014 09:16 PM

S5 for me for its screen, camera, performance. It is NOT waterproof its water resistant. Yes you can take it for a quick swim but don't be surprised if it fails if you keep doing it. Touchwiz is pants but any droid i get always gets a launcher applied, Nova Prime usually, then its awesome.

G3 is nice but the screen is not as good as the S5 and it also has UI lag.

M8 is good but no replaceable battery! Best speakers on the market, camera is pants.

BoozyDave 30 July 2014 10:09 PM

the wife has had galaxy s2, s3 and s4 and I've always found they are great (and better than my phone at the time)

I've had HTC (hated every minute I used it) and sony xperia's (not impressed), I've just upgraded to the galaxy s5 :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

what a device :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

the screen is not just HD, it's 4k. can't believe how crisp the picture is

it's rated as IP67, waterproof to 1M :thumb:
http://www.eos.com.au/images/IP%20Rating.jpg

bioforger 30 July 2014 10:16 PM

Water resistant! to 1M and for 30mins there's a difference to it being waterproof. For example if you put it under a tap it would not keep the water out.

pimmo2000 31 July 2014 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 11479767)
Water resistant! to 1M and for 30mins there's a difference to it being waterproof. For example if you put it under a tap it would not keep the water out.

but if you dropped it in the bath it would be?

CutMasterT 31 July 2014 08:24 AM

I have the S2 and its a pile of sh!te. Battery lasts one hour tops, and it keeps turning itself on and off.

Best phones are the old ones that could do nothing apart from call and text. My old Nokia could last days on a full charge.

bioforger 31 July 2014 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11479894)
but if you dropped it in the bath it would be?

Probably, but not something i would like to test with mine to be honest! It's designed to repell rain or small drops of water, not to go swimming or a have a bath with it.

bioforger 31 July 2014 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by CutMasterT (Post 11479918)
I have the S2 and its a pile of sh!te. Battery lasts one hour tops, and it keeps turning itself on and off.

Best phones are the old ones that could do nothing apart from call and text. My old Nokia could last days on a full charge.

That's a shame the S5's battery is awesome if you know how to setup things correctly. Normal usage it will last a day or two between charges with medium to heavy usage without a problem. And if you utilise the ultra power saving mode it will last a week.

CutMasterT 31 July 2014 03:11 PM

Fairly sure my battery is knackered. But also this phone has been very buggy ever since I got it. Turning itself on and off randomly and crashing/freezing. Also I'm with 3 and never get signal :(

To be fair most others with Galaxy's seem ok, I probably got a bad pick off the line

jaygsi 31 July 2014 05:15 PM

I have 2 nokia's cheap android phone and an iphone 4 only decent one is very old nokia lol

Mates got S4 and its a mint phone

Littleted 31 July 2014 07:28 PM

I have the s4 z2 and z2 tablet, if you like android and want to stay there then I'd go z2 or htc m8, I find the samsung flimsy. The sony is heavy but very nice.

That being said I've been a long time apple fan, and only just tried android these last 8 months. I,ll be honest apple all the way for me, android just doesn't cut it for me.

stevebt 01 August 2014 09:01 AM

The thing with iphones is if you browse the web they will stick you on a mobile web page 9 times out of 10 and there is no option on the phone to stop this so you have to go looking for the desktop site part on the screen.

bioforger 01 August 2014 10:05 AM

The biggest thing i hate about IOS is the lack of customisability! On Android you can tweak pretty much anything you like, its perfect.

*matthewturb2000* 01 August 2014 10:18 AM

Why do u lot need 3 or 4 phones, I got a z2 very happy with it