ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tesco don't trust themselves .. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1008733-tesco-dont-trust-themselves.html)

pimmo2000 27 July 2014 10:05 AM

Tesco don't trust themselves ..

I use a Tesco credit card month to month to get fuel and claim double points, it's a really low limit and it gets paid off each month. (makes us about £10 a month in vouchers)

It got blocked last night because of a suspicious transaction .. that being me buying my shopping in Tesco .. they blocked payment to themselves .. they can't tell me why??

The shop is a mile from my house, I used it all the time and I get fuel from there, what an odd company.

daveyj 27 July 2014 04:21 PM

Whilst slightly inconvenient I'd be very glad of the checks being made.

pimmo2000 27 July 2014 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by daveyj (Post 11477166)
Whilst slightly inconvenient I'd be very glad of the checks being made.

How do you work that out? the credit card is fully protected, so the only people they are "trying" to help is themselves.

What possible logic would suggest this was a reason to lock down my card?

jonc 27 July 2014 08:22 PM

Just because you use a Tesco Credit card in a Tesco store doesn't necessarily mean that payments can't be questioned or why staff on the shop floor would know why it was stopped. Tesco Bank is a completely separate business entity (one that was originally underwritten by RBS) and one that is separate to the store you shop in and would be treated like any other store or shop. If someone got hold of your card and decided to try and use it in a store, wouldn't you want Tesco Bank to stop the payment?

daveyj 27 July 2014 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11477212)
How do you work that out? the credit card is fully protected, so the only people they are "trying" to help is themselves.

What possible logic would suggest this was a reason to lock down my card?

Without being there first hand and having the full facts first hand, can only go on previous experience. I'd rather be getting stops/checks made than being presented with a £1k or whatever bill later down the line and having to then deal with the process of fraudulent payments having been made, which takes time, phone calls and is generally an utter ball ache.

In the grand scheme of things your situation, from what detail you have offered, is an annoying and minor inconvenience. It does, at least, show anti-fraud checks are being made. Blame the fraudsters........I do.

Carnut 28 July 2014 12:17 AM

Iam sure Tesco were doing the right thing but is the thread not just a funny example of how the world spins?

Lisawrx 28 July 2014 12:24 AM

Sounds like possibly some sort of glitch in their system. :wonder:

Unless you were spending in some way out of the ordinary (way more money than usual, or you'd already spent x amount, then made another large spend that you wouldn't normally etc.) I can't see why they would lock down your card, other than just an error.

When you say they don't know why, have you spoken to the card people, not just someone in store?

pimmo2000 28 July 2014 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lisawrx (Post 11477545)
Sounds like possibly some sort of glitch in their system. :wonder:

Unless you were spending in some way out of the ordinary (way more money than usual, or you'd already spent x amount, then made another large spend that you wouldn't normally etc.) I can't see why they would lock down your card, other than just an error.

When you say they don't know why, have you spoken to the card people, not just someone in store?

Finally someone who applies common sense to the situation, I didn't speak to the people in the store I called the card company (Tesco) who told me they are not able to find out why it happened.

A minor inconvenience, what if I'd not had my bank card with me? what if I couldn't afford to pay with a debit card?

As for me landing a bill, it wont happen, the credit card (as I said) is protected, so the only people they are protecting is themselves.

Shopping in my local store, I challenge anyone to tell me why that would flag?

urban 28 July 2014 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11477577)
A minor inconvenience, what if I'd not had my bank card with me? what if I couldn't afford to pay with a debit card?

Are you poor? :D

pimmo2000 28 July 2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11477736)
Are you poor? :D

Extremely

DYK 28 July 2014 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11477894)
Extremely

Should of gone to a Aldi...:D

Lisawrx 28 July 2014 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11477577)

Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly certain when something similar happened to me a few years back, in Tesco as it happens, I called the number on the back of the card when I was still in the shop and they sorted out the problem there and then.

I can't for the life of me remember exactly what the problem was (fraud or whatever) but my bank had blocked my card.

stevebt 28 July 2014 07:18 PM

I use Barclaycard and if they blocked a payment I would have them on the phone to me as soon as it was blocked to see if it were a legitimate payment.

pimmo2000 28 July 2014 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11477992)
I use Barclaycard and if they blocked a payment I would have them on the phone to me as soon as it was blocked to see if it were a legitimate payment.

This ^^^^^^^^ :thumb:

fatscoobfella1 28 July 2014 11:28 PM

I think in the long run it did you a favour...

I mean shopping from Tesco............tsk...

pimmo2000 29 July 2014 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1 (Post 11478260)
I think in the long run it did you a favour...

I mean shopping from Tesco............tsk...

I've got to spend my court winnings somewhere :thumb:

dpb 29 July 2014 07:50 AM

I succumbed to a nectar card, after all this time

I guess I'll save a tenner on shopping over the year , don't shop sainsburys any more than I ever did though :rolleyes: