ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Problem neighbour (unable to look after himself) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1008718-problem-neighbour-unable-to-look-after-himself.html)

jaytc2003 26 July 2014 08:32 PM

Problem neighbour (unable to look after himself)

Hi,

Got a neighbour nearby who is elderly and an alcoholic (75cl of teachers whisky per day and 2 bottles of white wine)

He isn't in great health, and walks with the aid of a stick. He tries to get to the shop at 7am ish every day to get his booze.

My concern is, 3 times this week he has gone to ground (not sure if fallen) and been shouting out for help. Happened today at around about 6.40 am. He is also about 6ft 5 and probably 20st+

He also has a bad hygiene problem (Literally smells of poo and p!$$), and looks like a tramp, clothes dirty and stained. When I have previously helped him (gave him a lift to the shop and then I went in for him hence I know his drinking habits), I had to bin a coat due to helping him back to the flat entrance and then I had to get the car valeted to get rid of the smell.

He lives in a block of new build flats (2nd floor with no lift) which he rents, and speaking with one of the other people who live in the block (I don't) they have said the handrails are smeared in poo. Also a stench in there. One of the neighbours in the flat has reported him to the landlord, but he pays his bills on time so they "don't see a problem"

I don't think it is fair on his direct neighbours, and I don't think he has the best standard of living, and I am concerned for his wellbeing. Is there anyone I can report him to, to maybe get him help? Looked at social services but cant really find anything.

Thanks

donny andi 26 July 2014 08:40 PM

Local hospital may be able to give you a out of hours number to ring (social services/community nurses)

donny andi 26 July 2014 08:41 PM

And you are on my list of 'who not to buy a car off':lol1:

pimmo2000 26 July 2014 08:42 PM

Social services? or CA ?

jaytc2003 26 July 2014 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by donny andi (Post 11476650)
And you are on my list of 'who not to buy a car off':lol1:

lol was my wifes car and it has been px'd :D

jaytc2003 26 July 2014 08:45 PM

Someone mentioned to me ringing the ambulance and police, but I feel as though it may be a waste of time doing that

angel1368 26 July 2014 08:49 PM

he must be pretty well off money wise to buy so much ale

donny andi 26 July 2014 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003 (Post 11476656)
Someone mentioned to me ringing the ambulance and police, but I feel as though it may be a waste of time doing that

Call at the hospital bud....if he's that far gone maybe he needs a bit of help from the mental health team , all you are don't is telling them your concerns, they may send a ambulance out as a non emergency to check him out..

Lydia72 26 July 2014 09:02 PM

You could phone Age UK and see if they can advise you further, 0800 169 6565

john banks 27 July 2014 07:15 AM

In Scotland, this would be best reported to the duty social worker who can use an "Adult cause for concern" process.

dpb 27 July 2014 08:16 AM

Sooner or later he'll presumably fall over again

- and then someone can ring an abundance, and the rest will follow

Spoon 27 July 2014 08:19 AM

Can you not call the shop and see if they'll deliver.

donny andi 27 July 2014 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 11476839)
Can you not call the shop and see if they'll deliver.

:lol1:

dpb 27 July 2014 08:31 AM

I suppose in theory yiu could nowadays drink yourself to death , without anybody noticing - with online shopping

the shreksta 27 July 2014 08:40 AM

**** him......its his choice to live like a piss stinker

stonejedi 27 July 2014 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11476850)
**** him......its his choice to live like a piss stinker

Its a hard line but i have to agree with shrek,he is old enough to know what he is doing,if he wants to p1ss his life away down the drain then sorry but that's his prerogative.SJ.

stonejedi 27 July 2014 09:49 AM

To the OP top marks for being concerned though:thumb:On a serious note:As above just contact the local hospital,local council,Age concern groups etc...and see if they can maybe help the guy out,but you have to appreciate that at his age if he has not learnt the harm that alcohol abuse can cause the human body by now i doubt he will ever learn,and you have to think maybe that is his way out of reality and the way that he wants to end his own life,its sad but most probably the truth.SJ.

ditchmyster 27 July 2014 09:52 AM

Sorry Shrek and SJ but I disagree, they guy needs removing from the community and professional help or at the very least monitoring as he is a danger to himself and others.

Who knows what has led him to become an alcoholic, the straw that broke the camels back with one of my very best mates was watching his premature son die in hospital after a few weeks of life.

I's not always as simple some bloke that got to like the taste of alcohol too much.:)

Midlife...... 27 July 2014 10:01 AM

Local Hospital will not help as it's not their job..........google your local council adult social care department and give them a ring.

Shaun

the shreksta 27 July 2014 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11476895)
Sorry Shrek and SJ but I disagree, they guy needs removing from the community and professional help or at the very least monitoring as he is a danger to himself and others.

Who knows what has led him to become an alcoholic, the straw that broke the camels back with one of my very best mates was watching his premature son die in hospital after a few weeks of life.

I's not always as simple some bloke that got to like the taste of alcohol too much.:)

there is a difference between turning to drink to subdue bad memories and living in **** mate,if he was disabled then yes he needs help but i think it sounds like its self inflicted

i am just a heartless prick anyway and i have no sympathy for people who cant help themselves-drugs/booze/living in ****.............either way **** em

tony de wonderful 27 July 2014 10:45 AM

I wondered why PSLewis hadn't been on in a while.

angel1368 27 July 2014 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11476899)
there is a difference between turning to drink to subdue bad memories and living in **** mate,if he was disabled then yes he needs help but i think it sounds like its self inflicted

i am just a heartless prick anyway and i have no sympathy for people who cant help themselves-drugs/booze/living in ****.............either way **** em

i do agree with this, we all get choices and if you make bad ones then get on with it just dont involve me or my family, infact like shrek im a pretty heartless **** when it comes to others, aslong as my family are ok then **** em all

stonejedi 27 July 2014 11:09 AM

I'm not heartless well i don't think that i am,but i personally think that some people just want the easy way out of things that is the plain and simple truth of the matter,they cant cope with reality so delve into drugs and alcohol abuse etc...so they don't have to face it,its a sad cop out but its still one all the same,i understand your thinking ditchy as well,but i have come to the realization that some people are well pass saving,we all have faced lost one way or the other and if not will do one day,it's not and excuse to let yourself go,as they say life goes on and you have to live it to the best of your ability.SJ.

LSherratt 27 July 2014 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11476929)

jonc 27 July 2014 11:43 AM

ditchmyster 27 July 2014 11:50 AM

Your on form today. :lol1:

ditchmyster 27 July 2014 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by stonejedi (Post 11476939)
I'm not heartless well i don't think that i am,but i personally think that some people just want the easy way out of things that is the plain and simple truth of the matter,they cant cope with reality so delve into drugs and alcohol abuse etc...so they don't have to face it,its a sad cop out but its still one all the same,i understand your thinking ditchy as well,but i have come to the realization that some people are well pass saving,we all have faced lost one way or the other and if not will do one day,it's not and excuse to let yourself go,as they say life goes on and you have to live it to the best of your ability.SJ.

I agree with all three of you and this post in particular more accurately reflects my own opinion, we all make choices in life as expressed before in previous drug/alcohol abuse threads, "Life is difficult" but as I get older I realise some people are just not as well equipped as others to deal with some of the things that life throws at us all.

It's a good thing that there are those more compassionate than some of us and I hope that none of us heartless bar stewards find ourselves in need of their services. :lol1:

Stay strong guys.:thumb:

the shreksta 27 July 2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11476985)
I agree with all three of you and this post in particular more accurately reflects my own opinion, we all make choices in life as expressed before in previous drug/alcohol abuse threads, "Life is difficult" but as I get older I realise some people are just not as well equipped as others to deal with some of the things that life throws at us all.

It's a good thing that there are those more compassionate than some of us and I hope that none of us heartless bar stewards find ourselves in need of their services. :lol1:

Stay strong guys.:thumb:

If life gets to hard for me then I will just turn to booze and drugs and **** myself.......seems to work for alot of other people............

ditchmyster 27 July 2014 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11477004)
If life gets to hard for me then I will just turn to booze and drugs and **** myself.......seems to work for alot of other people............

Don't forget to sign on the dole to mate.:lol1:

David Lock 27 July 2014 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 11476898)
Local Hospital will not help as it's not their job..........google your local council adult social care department and give them a ring.

Shaun

Correct

Or send him back to Poland :)

dl