ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Should I change my turbo (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1008407-should-i-change-my-turbo.html)

dewijos12 21 July 2014 08:25 PM

Should I change my turbo

Hi all I'm thinking about changing the turbo on my wrx 2000 uk
I have a v24 fast spool turbo should I change it or could I do some damage

BLU 21 July 2014 08:37 PM

Depends what you're trying to achieve I suppose.

Where in N Wales are you?

Local forum link in my Sig ;)

LuckyWelshchap 21 July 2014 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by dewijos12 (Post 11473429)
Hi all I'm thinking about changing the turbo on my wrx 2000 uk
I have a v24 fast spool turbo should I change it or could I do some damage

Hi mate and welcome to SN.
Power (presumably that's what you're after) is dependent upon a chain of things, and just like replacing one link with a stronger one won't make the whole chain any stronger the same goes with a car.

Firstly, a more powerful turbo won't make that much difference if the fuel system can't supply the increase in petrol demand quickly enough.
Secondly - MUCH more importantly - if not remapped the ECU and the rest will carry on as before, exepcting the new turbo to spool just as quickly, when it won't of course, and that can be disastrous.

Going back to the chain analogy - you put one better-spec link in and then put more stress on the chain. Result? - the other links break.

Have a search through some threads on here. Loads of them related to upping the power and most of them detail what needs to be considered ie. uprated fuel pump, possibly injectors, turbo and THE one - a remap.
That's £350+ on its own.

Oh - and welcome to the money pit aka upgrading. :)

Tidgy 22 July 2014 08:05 AM

there is no such car, wrx is an import, turbo 2000 is uk.

need to make sure you know which it is before you do anything.

dewijos12 22 July 2014 09:44 PM

Thanks

You were so helpful and the things you said maid so much sense. And I have a uk 2000 not wrx glad I learnt that as I was going to buy a wrx sticker lol

Tidgy 23 July 2014 12:06 AM

haha, no probs. start point is very different as far as tuning goes when comparing the two.

Decat, panel filter and rempa will see a nice gain.

Vf24 will be an upgrade on current turbo, but you will need supporting mods as said. Will need mapping (dont go for cheap generic map, get it done properly by a decent mapper), fuel pump will need changing, then panel filter and decat or sports cat before map to get the best from it.

my advice is find a tuner your happy with and have a chat about options and prices

imprezaworks 23 July 2014 12:26 AM

I have the vf24 turbo in my wrx, very happy with it

dewijos12 23 July 2014 12:55 PM

Hi

Originally Posted by imprezaworks (Post 11474300)
I have the vf24 turbo in my wrx, very happy with it

Did it make any difrance mate and did you change anything else. Thinking of just a remap now