ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Battery Drain Solution? Fixed! (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/1008080-battery-drain-solution-fixed.html)

cobyjim 15 July 2014 12:08 PM

Battery Drain Solution? Fixed!

Hi guys, I know there are loads of threads all over the forums about battery problems, especially on the blobeye scoobys. I even posted a few about it. There was much debate as to whether it is a parasitic drain from a tracker or this so called "smart" alternator. After getting hold on a multimeter I am convinced its the latter. Had bought a new bosch s4 battery for my scooby which only lasted 2 months before she went flat.

I was convinced it must be the alternator on the way out so got her changed for a reconditioned one. Same problem as before, battery went flat. S after reading about this smart alternator I got hold of a multimeter, charged battery to full and tried to figure this out. Connected battery and checked voltage before I turned her on....reading 12.4. Tidy I thought. So kept meter on and turned the scooby on. Should have seen small dip then she should have gone up to a range of 13-15 or there abouts to prove alternator is working....but no. She slowly drops to 12.3, then 11.9 and so on.

So I heard about the side lights and/or fan remedy. Apparently putting side lights on increases electrical demand so the "smart/retarded" alternator kicks in, which should show up on multimeter. I ask the misses to put side lights on and hey presto the voltage jumps from a dwindling 11.6 up to 14.3. She floats around this number. Tried with just the fan and she seems a bit intermittent on whether this activates the alternator or not. So the side lights seems the best bet. So Ive been driving around for last few weeks with side lights on and sometimes the blowers on low and she has been great. (Touch wood). I tend to so small journeys a few times a week and maybe a long run on weekend, so its not ideal for the car but I had an RX-8 for 3 years and she never needed new battery and always started.

Anyways, just wondered if this would be helpful to others or if you have experienced some similar problems. Or possibly some scooby genius may rip this to shreads, lol. Worked for me so far......:luxhello:

alcazar 16 July 2014 07:28 AM

No, you are quite right....nothing new in your post, but you have finally provided figures to prove what we have been saying.

What a crazy system.....you would think it could sense batter voltage and kick in from that.

JDM_Stig 16 July 2014 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by cobyjim (Post 11469440)
Hi guys, I know there are loads of threads all over the forums about battery problems, especially on the blobeye scoobys. I even posted a few about it. There was much debate as to whether it is a parasitic drain from a tracker or this so called "smart" alternator. After getting hold on a multimeter I am convinced its the latter. Had bought a new bosch s4 battery for my scooby which only lasted 2 months before she went flat.

I was convinced it must be the alternator on the way out so got her changed for a reconditioned one. Same problem as before, battery went flat. S after reading about this smart alternator I got hold of a multimeter, charged battery to full and tried to figure this out. Connected battery and checked voltage before I turned her on....reading 12.4. Tidy I thought. So kept meter on and turned the scooby on. Should have seen small dip then she should have gone up to a range of 13-15 or there abouts to prove alternator is working....but no. She slowly drops to 12.3, then 11.9 and so on.

So I heard about the side lights and/or fan remedy. Apparently putting side lights on increases electrical demand so the "smart/retarded" alternator kicks in, which should show up on multimeter. I ask the misses to put side lights on and hey presto the voltage jumps from a dwindling 11.6 up to 14.3. She floats around this number. Tried with just the fan and she seems a bit intermittent on whether this activates the alternator or not. So the side lights seems the best bet. So Ive been driving around for last few weeks with side lights on and sometimes the blowers on low and she has been great. (Touch wood). I tend to so small journeys a few times a week and maybe a long run on weekend, so its not ideal for the car but I had an RX-8 for 3 years and she never needed new battery and always started.

Anyways, just wondered if this would be helpful to others or if you have experienced some similar problems. Or possibly some scooby genius may rip this to shreads, lol. Worked for me so far......:luxhello:

Can I ask what you have learnt that wasnt already what people were telling you ?

You already said that "Apparently putting side lights on increases electrical demand so the "smart/retarded" alternator kicks in"
so you have just proved what others have said ?

If Im wrong please correct me.

cobyjim 16 July 2014 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11470031)
Can I ask what you have learnt that wasnt already what people were telling you ?

You already said that "Apparently putting side lights on increases electrical demand so the "smart/retarded" alternator kicks in"
so you have just proved what others have said ?

If Im wrong please correct me.

Ummm, am I getting told off? Ye mate, I had seen a lot of recent posts that were similar to my problem and I knew that people were having trouble figuring out what the issue was. Many answers to the battery drainage problems from forum members. So I thought I'd post my own findings that supported the above theory to do with the "smart" alternator. Is that ok?

I'm new to the forums so maybe I haven't read the rules on posting stupid comments or wasting forum space. Your response is dripping with the smell of a small prick.....but please, correct me if I'm wrong. :thumb:

modrich 16 July 2014 09:12 PM

Thanks cobyjim for taking the time to write this up, I wasn't aware of this system so have bookmarked this for future ref. I'm like you and take the time to prove things to myself and fully understand how things work if there is a problem, then if I can be bothered, write it up so someone else can benefit from it, that's what the forums for...

cobyjim 16 July 2014 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by modrich (Post 11470517)
Thanks cobyjim for taking the time to write this up, I wasn't aware of this system so have bookmarked this for future ref. I'm like you and take the time to prove things to myself and fully understand how things work if there is a problem, then if I can be bothered, write it up so someone else can benefit from it, that's what the forums for...

Ye cheers mate. That was my aim. ha ha. :D

Paben 20 July 2014 05:59 PM

No you didn't deserve a cleverdick kick in the nuts mate but this is a well ploughed field with no satisfactory conclusions that I'm aware of. Sidelights don't help in my case or those of lots of others either. I have got so fed up with the flat battery syndrome (after about 4 - 5 days usually) that I automatically connect up a CTEK battery conditioner and leave it in place until I next drive the car. The only downside to this is forgetting the CTEK is connected and attempting to drive off......

PhilWrx100 20 July 2014 06:42 PM

Same here my 05 Wrx will last a week without use and then the battery will be tired. I also brought a Ctek charger, just in case :thumb:. I also leave the side lights on to help the battery, but as above no real change. The scoobs just like sucking the life out of batteries :)

Maz 20 July 2014 07:30 PM

I had this problem so fitted a battery brain remote isolator. Turn car off, arm the alarm so the doors lock and activate the isolator so the battery is disconnected. Problem solved. No flat battery and no fretting. Great product.

http://www.batterybrain.co.uk/products.php?cat=5

Paben 20 July 2014 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11472726)
I had this problem so fitted a battery brain remote isolator. Turn car off, arm the alarm so the doors lock and activate the isolator so the battery is disconnected. Problem solved. No flat battery and no fretting. Great product.

That sounds like a great idea although perhaps not if a Tracker is fitted? These things are often blamed for battery drain problems. Does disconnecting the battery disconnect the Tracker too?

Maz 20 July 2014 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11472875)
That sounds like a great idea although perhaps not if a Tracker is fitted? These things are often blamed for battery drain problems. Does disconnecting the battery disconnect the Tracker too?

I presume so. Although it does add a further element of security in disabling the battery. It was the lesser of two evils, I got fed up of a dead battery so opted for this device. With the remote fob it was a godsend.

Paben 21 July 2014 07:35 AM

Thinking this through the disconnected Tracker is not a problem. Anyone attempting to drive the car away would have to reconnect the battery, Tracker back on. I'm sure this device is the way forward, thanks Maz

cobyjim 21 July 2014 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11472667)
No you didn't deserve a cleverdick kick in the nuts mate but this is a well ploughed field with no satisfactory conclusions that I'm aware of. Sidelights don't help in my case or those of lots of others either. I have got so fed up with the flat battery syndrome (after about 4 - 5 days usually) that I automatically connect up a CTEK battery conditioner and leave it in place until I next drive the car. The only downside to this is forgetting the CTEK is connected and attempting to drive off......

Oh **** ye. I'd probably do that one day in a hurry. Will have to look into these ctek battery conditioners. I'm hoping the side lights strategy works for a while at least, so far so good. But we shall see.

cobyjim 21 July 2014 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11472726)

Just checked this out. This could be the solution right here for all the scooby owners experiencing this. Cheers Maz. I looked at site, would have to go for the remote controlled version. Is it hard to install?

Maz 21 July 2014 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by cobyjim (Post 11473098)
Just checked this out. This could be the solution right here for all the scooby owners experiencing this. Cheers Maz. I looked at site, would have to go for the remote controlled version. Is it hard to install?

Mate it's an absolute boon! I was getting effed off with the battery drain as I only used the car occasionally and short journeys. I thought about an in car manual isolator like they have in race cars. However after surfing the net I saw the Battery Brain and though it was just the ticket. I got it fitted by my garage and it took less than half an hour. It basically clamps on the positive terminal and you're good to go. No more flat battery. :thumb:

Scooby-Mark 23 July 2014 11:28 PM

Great write up and advice, I wasn't aware on a draining issue, My first 05 was a daily drive so I guess I never came across the issue however my new 05 STI is a toy and I have noticed the battery runs flat in about 4 or 5 days.

Figured it was due a new battery as I know previous owner had it as a second car too, anyway shelled out for new battery earlier this week (Only £45 off flea bay) so worth changing it anyway will keep an eye on charge levels etc over the next few weeks and maybe purchasing one of those battery brain things, at least I am more clued up about the issue now, well worth the read :thumb::thumb:

53 23 July 2014 11:55 PM

Looks like an expensive way to do what I do lol :D

http://www.electricalcarservices.com...=search&PPGR=0

Paben 24 July 2014 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 11474938)

Now that's a really inexpensive fix, not high tech so it can't go wrong unless the clip breaks. :)

Maz 24 July 2014 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 11474938)

I'm lazy git and couldn't be bothered with opening and closing the bonnet.:D