ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tour de France (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1007256-tour-de-france.html)

Bonehead 01 July 2014 09:31 AM

Tour de France

Anyone going to watch it this weekend when it's in England?

Steve vRS 01 July 2014 09:59 AM

I was going to until I stupidly agreed to work this weekend without checking my diary first :(

Steve

*matthewturb2000* 01 July 2014 10:01 AM

Not through choice, it's shutting Cambridge down for the day, I live on one of the roads that are getting biked up so I'm trapped home all day

hodgy0_2 01 July 2014 10:49 AM

yep, quite exited

will be going to see the start in Cambridge on Monday, with all the kids

andy97 01 July 2014 11:11 AM

I am debating whether to go and fight with an estimated 60,000 on Holme moss or in Sheffield somewhere.

I want to see the professionals suffer, it makes me have a slight smug face for a moment, but then that is wiped off when i remember cycling up steep hills!

dpb 01 July 2014 11:21 AM

Miles away for me.

Saw them last time mid nineties Brighton.

( for about 20 seconds ).

Saw the start in Limoux couple years back ( old dear lives about 10 miles away)

nik52wrx 01 July 2014 01:00 PM

I'm goint to watch stage 1 at Grinton or where ever i end up cycling to.
Hopefully the weather will be nice making for a good day out.

ChrisB 01 July 2014 07:43 PM

I volunteered as a Tour Maker, so will be out marshalling in Leeds on Stage 1. Will hopefully be a flag marshal on a obstacle. Downside is I have to be at the meeting point at 5.30am!

Then we're out to watch it on Sunday on one of the climbs into Sheffield.

Brun 01 July 2014 08:06 PM

I just can't think for a single reason why any one watches road cycling!
Quite frankly I wouldn't poke my head round the curtain if they were peddling straight past my front window :confused:

dpb 01 July 2014 08:30 PM

I'll be happy pay my fiver for month eurosport to watch it, if that's possible

Ok no atmosphere but you get everything else.

It's a tactical game Brun, just like any team sport - plus lone break aways and of course the odd tumble.. I watched the whole thing last year - cos I had broken toes, very conveniently

Course I won't be able do that this year

nik52wrx 01 July 2014 08:31 PM

Thanks for a vey useful post :thumb:

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 11460649)
I just can't think for a single reason why any one watches road cycling!
Quite frankly I wouldn't poke my head round the curtain if they were peddling straight past my front window :confused:

Brun 01 July 2014 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11460672)
I'll be happy pay my fiver for month eurosport to watch it, if that's possible

Ok no atmosphere but you get everything else.

It's a tactical game Brun, just like any team sport - plus lone break aways and of course the odd tumble.. I watched the whole thing last year - cos I had broken toes, very conveniently

Course I won't be able do that this year

I can appreciate someone enjoying the sport to watch on tele but to watch a load of bikes zoom past in a matter of minutes then I can only assume you might see, if lucky a tumble but nothing else??

Dingdongler 01 July 2014 09:13 PM

It's virtually going past my front door so even though not a great fan will watch it with the kids.

Brun 01 July 2014 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by nik52wrx (Post 11460675)
Thanks for a vey useful post :thumb:

Does my post not possibly create debate? I might learn a thing or two by expressing my opinion!
I would suggest that my post has more use than yours - but that's another debate!
Let's face it, SN is short of debate ;)

Bikerboygreen 01 July 2014 09:21 PM

Really looking forward to it. Going to watch Saturday's stage in North Yorks - Masham - and Sunday's down the road from where I live in Honley, West Yorks. :thumb:

Chip 01 July 2014 09:32 PM

No!

nik52wrx 01 July 2014 09:33 PM

Masham will be good, it was my second option.
I bet the Black sheep beer tent will be very popular :D

Originally Posted by Bikerboygreen (Post 11460719)
Really looking forward to it. Going to watch Saturday's stage in North Yorks - Masham - and Sunday's down the road from where I live in Honley, West Yorks. :thumb:

nik52wrx 01 July 2014 09:36 PM

Who's going to watch the tour, let's debate :confused:

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 11460712)
Does my post not possibly create debate? I might learn a thing or two by expressing my opinion!
I would suggest that my post has more use than yours - but that's another debate!
Let's face it, SN is short of debate ;)

hodgy0_2 01 July 2014 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 11460707)
I can appreciate someone enjoying the sport to watch on tele

Lol the irony

Watching sport on Tele, is one of the main reason this is a nation full of fat bastids

And while I am at it, I would ban people from wearing any sort of sports clothing unless engaged in some sort of sporting activity

Sick and tired of seeing fat idiots wearing football shirts that could not even jog to the half way line

But do enjoy watching it on Tele - ridiculous

joe v3sti 01 July 2014 10:02 PM

It's a flipping pain in the arse and is going to bring my local roads to a stand still!
Nightmare!

Brun 01 July 2014 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by nik52wrx (Post 11460737)
Who's going to watch the tour, let's debate :confused:

Sorry for not keeping the thread on track.

No, not going to watch.

Brun 01 July 2014 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11460745)
Lol the irony

Watching sport on Tele, is one of the main reason this is a nation full of fat bastids

And while I am at it, I would ban people from wearing any sort of sports clothing unless engaged in some sort of sporting activity

Sick and tired of seeing fat idiots wearing football shirts that could not even jog to the half way line

But do enjoy watching it on Tele - ridiculous

Been to see plenty of sport live but for the most part, prefer to watch on the TV.
Was at the British Gp in 92 and enjoyed the atmosphere, the noise and the smell but quite frankly, didn't even see 5% of what tv coverage can offer so I'll be sticking to the tv thanks.
Far from being a fat ******* and the only sport clothing I own would be a Senna t-shirt!

dpb 01 July 2014 10:19 PM

I'm 76 kg, down from 81, a couple months back. :smug:

Unfortunately I can still pinch half an inch, which can only mean I don't have much muscle at all

I'll be watching the tour in shorts and tee shirt, straight After my triathlon 9:30 to 12:30 Saturday. - or there abouts

*matthewturb2000* 01 July 2014 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 11460760)
It's a flipping pain in the arse and is going to bring my local roads to a stand still!
Nightmare!

This
Its going literally past my front door it's a hinderance, and why is the tour de France coming through England in the first place...... Surely the clues in the name??

DYK 01 July 2014 10:34 PM

I'm quite surprised it's coming here,given the state of our roads,especially oop north.

dpb 01 July 2014 10:35 PM

I spect Cambridge put a bid in, and won.? :)

Bikerboygreen 01 July 2014 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 11460796)
I'm quite surprised it's coming here,given the state of our roads,especially oop north.

As if by magic, the roads around my way that form key stages of the route have been repaired! My Scoob will appreciate them when the show leaves town on Monday. :thumb:

hodgy0_2 01 July 2014 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 11460779)
and the only sport clothing I own would be a Senna t-shirt!

That's fine - but you would only be alowed to wear it whilst driving

*matthewturb2000* 01 July 2014 11:15 PM

i haven't seen any pot holes on my road being repaired and there's a few, although the council has been zipping up and down the foot path in the sweeper machines, im assuming they're going to be biking up the path :)

Miniman 02 July 2014 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11460745)

Mind you round here (Surrey) there are a lot of new cyclists, also fat (huffing and puffing) idiots wearing skin tight lycra, blocking up the hills, doing 5 mph.

So possibly they are better off watching it on tele, in their new expensive cycling gear and just admiring the latest carbon bike they have just purchased, than going anywhere near a real ride.