ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Just lost 5psi boost pressure!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/100722-just-lost-5psi-boost-pressure.html)

MAFFA 30 May 2002 01:33 PM

Just been out in the Scoob (MY95 UK) which was peaking at 16psi & is all of a sudden peaking at 11psi :eek: The only thing i've done since yestersday is take out a coil pack & put it back again but this shouldn't matter.

Any suggestions what I should look for?

Cheers

MAFFA

DeanF 30 May 2002 01:41 PM

Sounds like you have hit fuel cut, when you do it reduces boost, if a restart doesn't cure it, It could be the boost solenoid sticking & requireing a clean. I believe MY95 hit fuel cut around the 15 Psi mark, it might be worth knocking the boost back slightly or investing in a Fuel cut defenser.

Dean

TonyBurns 30 May 2002 01:44 PM

Loose pipe anywhere? and at what sort of rpm does it drop harshly to 11psi??

Tony:D

MAFFA 30 May 2002 01:59 PM

It used to overboost occasionally in the winter weather when it used to hit 16psi & up until today it wasn't doing it at all at 15psi in the warmer air. It doesn't drop suddenly it just doesn't make it over 11psi & it feels really sluggish (For a scoob):(

EvoRSX 30 May 2002 03:21 PM

Maffa,
Sounds to me like the solenoid isn't bleeding off any air and so you're only getting about 0.75 bar boost which is what my Evo hits without any bleed from the line to the actuator.
I'd suggest you remove the solenoid and clean it and the line to it and see if it clears up.

Andy

DeanF 30 May 2002 03:31 PM

yes it sounds like the boost solenoid, Buy yourself a tin of spray brake cleaner (local motor acessorie shop about 2 quid) & remove the vacuum pipes Etc from the solenoid, give the solenoid & pipes a good dose of the cleaner, plug them all back in quickly & go for a thrash making sure your using boost. You may need to repeat this a couple of times but should work. Does the trick on mine.

TonyBurns 30 May 2002 04:25 PM

The problem i had with my scoob when i hit 16psi and then it dropped off to 11psi (at around 4.5krpm) was cr@p in the wastegate pipe.
Had that cleaned and the power went up nicely :D:D:D:D now its not really noticable though unless your doing over 100mph as it felt sluggish up there (and 224bhp proved it :() but you could try that, i think its probably the most likely problem.

Tony:D

DeanF 30 May 2002 04:50 PM

Tony, does he have to crap in the wastgate pipe ? If so he had better consume a few curries & purchase a funnel !!

MAFFA 30 May 2002 05:07 PM

This'll be the third time i've cleaned it in a year :eek: Mind you I had it serviced about 1000 miles ago. Might check the oil level.

dhorwich 30 May 2002 05:34 PM

You could try resetting the ecu as the ecu may of seen it as a fault when you were fiddling with the coil pack and is limiting your boost... just a thought....???

Dan

MAFFA 30 May 2002 10:35 PM

Cheers Dan. I was gonna try that first before I clean the solenoid. Driving home from work it peaked at 12psi so it's a little better :)

Scooby-Doo 30 May 2002 10:40 PM

As your running a 95 I assume you haven't been blue screened, have you tried a reboot ?

See you Sunday if youre going to Sussex

MAFFA 30 May 2002 10:50 PM

Blue screened :confused: What's that? I'll try the ECU reset & if that doesn't work i'll clean the wastegate again :rolleyes:

Katana 30 May 2002 10:54 PM

As your running a 95 I assume you haven't been blue screened, have you tried a reboot ?
Haha very funny. Could be worse, hecould be running a Millenium. :D

dhorwich 30 May 2002 10:56 PM

sound like IT talk to me...:)

MAFFA 30 May 2002 10:58 PM

LOL :D

Markus 31 May 2002 10:23 AM

So what's the latest Matt? back to 16psi???

I'm tempted to clean my pipes out (no smriking at the back! ;) :D:D) as it might help me with my lowly 225bhp.

DeanF 31 May 2002 11:51 AM

Maffa,
After talking to you yesterday about boost solenoid cleaning Etc, Mine is now doing exactly the same, I have reset the Ecu & it worked fine for half a day 16psi achieved but now back to 10 psi. This problem must be transmitted through the internet. Have you sorted yours Then ?.

Dean

john banks 31 May 2002 03:59 PM

Do you get any fault codes Dean - plug together the underdash connectors reading the CEL? http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/m...agnosisegi.pdf

DeanF 31 May 2002 04:46 PM

John,
Unfortunately i reset the Ecu, If it happens again (sure it will sometime soon)I'll retrieve the code & post it.
Cheers
Dean

MAFFA 01 June 2002 11:57 PM

Mines still running at around 11/12psi after cleaning the solenoid & resetting the ECU. Dunno whether it could be something to do with the warmer weather :confused:

Either that or i've got a leak somewhere :eek:

MAFFA 01 June 2002 11:59 PM

Wahoo a corner in general technical :) God i'm such a Muppet :D

flat4 04 June 2002 05:36 PM

i had this problem, turned out my boost gauge had broke :eek:

might not be the solution but i borrowed someone elses boost gauge and it was reading fine, problem is you said it felt slugish :confused:

kev :)

MAFFA 05 June 2002 12:09 AM

Feels quicker now even though the boost guage is reading 11/12psi.

Maybe time for the rollers again. We'll soon see if the 297BHP drops :(