ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Identity theft again! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1006068-identity-theft-again.html)

Dingdongler 11 June 2014 03:54 PM

Identity theft again!

Well here we go again, not as bad as last time but yesterday two credit cards I never applied for came through the post.

Today I get a letter from vodafone saying somebody has tried to fraudulently open a contract in my name but they figured out what was going on.

I don't understand why this keeps happening to me. I'm really careful about not giving out any info to anybody over the phone and same goes with emails.

The last time it happened forced me to pay a stupid amount of money for a monthly subscription to experian and equifax.

What worries me is sometimes I need to raise finance in a hurry and any black mark against my credit file could slow this down.

tony de wonderful 11 June 2014 04:00 PM

We've got so much personal info out there I guess it's very hard to do much about it?

Dingdongler 11 June 2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11448043)
We've got so much personal info out there I guess it's very hard to do much about it?

True. I've tried to do the best I can so I don't use facebook, twitter, linkdin etc.

I even refused to use internet banking up until about two years ago!

ditchmyster 11 June 2014 04:05 PM

Sounds to me like your being targeted, is there no way of tracing back the information, probably some scumbag related to your being a doc, folks know you've got a few bob because everyone knows doctors are loaded, apparently. :(

dpb 11 June 2014 04:22 PM

Ummm Vodafone eh

I got a letter a week or so later apologizing after somebody I think within Vodafone attempted to get my upgrade, went to my account online to find different name address but still my number after receiving text saying thank you for informing us of your change of address.......

Even after the letter from Vodafone I recieved return envelope for surrendering my old phone ,before they sent out new S5.....

zip106 11 June 2014 07:43 PM

Could be Tony trying to get a mortgage :D

ditchmyster 11 June 2014 08:04 PM

:lol1: he's building up a credit history, because he's a saver.:lol1:

dpb 11 June 2014 08:24 PM

Haha

Carnut 11 June 2014 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11448034)
Well here we go again, not as bad as last time but yesterday two credit cards I never applied for came through the post.

Today I get a letter from vodafone saying somebody has tried to fraudulently open a contract in my name but they figured out what was going on.

I don't understand why this keeps happening to me. I'm really careful about not giving out any info to anybody over the phone and same goes with emails.

The last time it happened forced me to pay a stupid amount of money for a monthly subscription to experian and equifax.

What worries me is sometimes I need to raise finance in a hurry and any black mark against my credit file could slow this down.

Maybe you are throwing bank statements etc in the bin without shredding them. Someone may know you are doing this on a regular basis and are coming back time after time.

pimmo2000 12 June 2014 07:47 AM

Do you have your detailed listed public as a GP ?

jonc 12 June 2014 09:16 AM

You need to shred everything that contains your name and address especially if it contains any unique identifiers like account numbers or customer references, eg bills, statements, receipts, invoices etc before disposing of them. Utility bills, statements, etc are accepted methods of proving who you are, if you leave them in tact, people can get hold of these when you put the bins out. Identity theft isn't restricted to just email phishing and online fraud.

dpb 12 June 2014 09:23 AM

Credit card could be anyone you left your card details with,

Somebody was using / attempted use my cc in SA, 12 months after we were there

dpb 12 June 2014 09:25 AM

Could been previous tenants got hold your mail

Dingdongler 12 June 2014 11:46 AM

Thanks.

No I don't appear on a GP register (as I'm not a GP). I started to shred everything when this happened before but then got lazy, it takes so much time.

I am a company director and the fraud dept guy said that's where they may have got my details from. But that must mean tens of thousands of people must be prone to this.

Thanks

tony de wonderful 12 June 2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11448498)
You need to shred everything that contains your name and address especially if it contains any unique identifiers like account numbers or customer references, eg bills, statements, receipts, invoices etc before disposing of them. Utility bills, statements, etc are accepted methods of proving who you are, if you leave them in tact, people can get hold of these when you put the bins out. Identity theft isn't restricted to just email phishing and online fraud.

In that film Argo the Iranians were able to re-assemble shredded documents.

Scooby Soon! 14 June 2014 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11448575)
Thanks.

No I don't appear on a GP register (as I'm not a GP). I started to shred everything when this happened before but then got lazy, it takes so much time.

I am a company director and the fraud dept guy said that's where they may have got my details from. But that must mean tens of thousands of people must be prone to this.

Thanks

Just had this done to me about 3 weeks ago and was going to ask if you were a company director as that is the way many of the frauds are being done,

to give you an idea I have never been on facebook social networking etc but because I am a director for free online you can find out:

Date Of Birth, home address, work address, years at address, approximate income, and with a little digging they can find my signature and if they are really interested they can get my mortgage and credit history.

I am now under CIFAS automatically after the first fraud attempt are you not on this?

Dingdongler 14 June 2014 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 11449890)
Just had this done to me about 3 weeks ago and was going to ask if you were a company director as that is the way many of the frauds are being done,

to give you an idea I have never been on facebook social networking etc but because I am a director for free online you can find out:

Date Of Birth, home address, work address, years at address, approximate income, and with a little digging they can find my signature and if they are really interested they can get my mortgage and credit history.

I am now under CIFAS automatically after the first fraud attempt are you not on this?

Hi mate

The fraud guy said all those details were available at CH. However I've been in contact with my accountant who says my dob does not appear, only my name and address. Is this not correct?

Yes I'm on cifas now.

I'm going to subscribe to some acct/credit card with my bank that also gives insurance/legal costs against identity fraud.

Cheers

r32 14 June 2014 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11448631)
In that film Argo the Iranians were able to re-assemble shredded documents.

That's who it is then, damn Iranians.

DYK 15 June 2014 06:13 AM

This happened to someone in family,a betting account was set up in their name.Any personal info I burn.

markjmd 15 June 2014 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 11450106)
This happened to someone in family,a betting account was set up in their name.Any personal info I burn.

+1. One of the definite advantages of an open fire-place. So much quicker and more secure than shredding.

scoobyboy1 15 June 2014 11:47 PM

Happened to me years ago, and the same as you I had to have monthly subscription to experian and equifax so that I could get there first while the credit checks where going through I would get a text to my phone and do something about it.

Ended up with 5 i-phones being took out in my name, store cards, credit cards etc, and still to this day I think it was someone working at Carphone Warehouse who had my details, because 2 years before I took out a phone and that day my dad come with me and took out a contract with Carphone Warehouse, and he was done the sametime as me with credit fraud, at the same companys, which was a bit of a coincidence!!