ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Show plates (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1005997-show-plates.html)

scoobyman2012 10 June 2014 06:01 PM

Show plates

I used to have a private plate that I sold with my old car a few years ago , now I have bought the car back , but previous owner has sold the plate , and it's too expensive to buy back , but only really like the plate for when I had the car on stand at car shows ,

So sounds stupid but if I had the same plate made up as a show plate , (just for use when it's on the stand) so off-road only, would that be legal , even though some else owns the plate and it's on another car?

Thanks

Raptorman 10 June 2014 06:15 PM

My guess would be its illegal.

dabiscuit 10 June 2014 06:20 PM

Yeah you'll be fine as long as you put proper one on to and from the shows!

Raptorman 10 June 2014 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by dabiscuit (Post 11447301)
Yeah you'll be fine as long as you put proper one on to and from the shows!

Are you sure?

I can see no problem if the show plate read "ABC TUNED" but the op
is wanting to use his old reg that has been sold on and is now
presumably registered to another vehicle.

Hawkeye D 10 June 2014 06:33 PM

Tricky one this, whilst harmless enough just at shows, people take pictures and stuff.

Not sure I'd want my private plate used in that way.

scoobyman2012 10 June 2014 07:06 PM

I have no intention of driving with the plate on , just for when it is off the road , I would buy it back but the owner wants over £2000 and it's not worth that

Thanks

Raptorman 10 June 2014 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyman2012 (Post 11447335)
I have no intention of driving with the plate on , just for when it is off the road , I would buy it back but the owner wants over £2000 and it's not worth that

Thanks

I wouldn't personally but it's your choice at the end of the day.

blackvenom 10 June 2014 10:23 PM

So many other plates out there on the dvla website, unless it was L555 BAT I wouldn't pay that.

mcfc11 10 June 2014 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyman2012 (Post 11447335)

Thanks

hi,

as long as your on private land with the land owners permission and entered into the car show then you can have what you want on your reg :thumb:
because at the end of the day your genuine reg is there for all to see on your tax disc.

but if your just attending the car show and your on private land in the public car parking then your plate is illegal.

53 10 June 2014 11:21 PM

What is the plate ? :)

dabiscuit 11 June 2014 08:57 AM

I'd keep the originals in the car too. I personally would do it until told otherwise

Matt_STi 11 June 2014 09:21 AM

What does the plate say? I cant see it being worth the hassle unless it says "FU 2" (the plate i'll buy when I win the euro millions jackpot on Friday).

scoobyman2012 11 June 2014 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 11447632)
What is the plate ? :)

Don't really want to say, as if some one google's the plate it will then show this thread up ( the car is not a subaru and the plate is just the name of the car )

I just wanted to check that legally it is ok to have any plate you want made up as a show plate and put on my car on my own property/private land :thumb:

Thanks

scoobyskool 11 June 2014 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_STi (Post 11447751)
What does the plate say? I cant see it being worth the hassle unless it says "FU 2" (the plate i'll buy when I win the euro millions jackpot on Friday).

my mate is a bit dyslexic - he thought he bought fu2 for his new ff rr - turns out he paid £10k for 2 UF - lol guessing in a rearview mirror it kinda does what he wants

scoobyskool 11 June 2014 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyman2012 (Post 11447754)
Don't really want to say, as if some one google's the plate it will then show this thread up ( the car is not a subaru and the plate is just the name of the car )

I just wanted to check that legally it is ok to have any plate you want made up as a show plate and put on my car on my own property/private land :thumb:

Thanks

how perfect was the plate you sold ? given the fact that as a show plate you can have absolutely any digits on there you want can you not think up an even better plate to use as show plates ?

ie - SCOOBYMAN

scoobyman2012 11 June 2014 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyskool (Post 11447759)
how perfect was the plate you sold ? given the fact that as a show plate you can have absolutely any digits on there you want can you not think up an even better plate to use as show plates ?

ie - SCOOBYMAN

It's exactly the model/name of car and number of version , so say for example the plate is EVO 1 and going on a Evo 1 (that is not the plate just a example)
Say some one owns that plate and runs that on there own car,

I do not want the owner seeing it and saying I have cloned there car :confused: even though it is offroad and won't be a legal size plate

Lunchmoney 11 June 2014 11:13 AM

Have you considered asking the owner (who've you been in contact with already to get their price) if they mind you using it for shows?

Have you asked the DVLA?

LuckyWelshchap 11 June 2014 11:39 AM

My undertsanding is this, that if the car is off the public road - and certainly on private land - it doesn't even need number plates, so therefore you can put what you want on it.

Number plates and Reg Nos aren't registered trademarks or copyrighted, so no problems in that respect.

HOWEVER, if you did put 'confusing' plates on there is the possibility that you could open yourself up to (possible) deception and almost certainly cause the owner of the plates some hassle and consternation (which would come back on the op).

Imagine these scenarios:
  • Someone at a show posts all over FB, PH etc. about a wonderful scooby reg AB12 XYZ (stupid I know but people don't always think of omitting Reg's) and the owner of the Reg picks up on it.
    Not going to be the happiest bunny I suppose.
  • Someone at a show offers to buy it (car or plate). An embarrassing situation, saying it's not the right reg.
  • For some reason you rush off from a show and forget to take those plates off. My car's only ever had 1 MoT failure. Know what it was?
    The owner forgot to replace the short plate at the front with the legal one before the MoT.
Hopefully there's plenty of food for thought there. :thumb:

albob 12 June 2014 01:10 AM

scoobyman -- just do IT !!