ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Child car seats (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1005490-child-car-seats.html)

tarmac terror 02 June 2014 10:55 PM

Child car seats

I have tried a range of booster cushions in the back of our Legacy, but when my kids sit in them they don't look comfortable.

The seat belts cross their legs / hip area as it should, and they are tall enough for the belt to cross their shoulder properly.

I have considered the safety aspect of going with booster cushions over seats with sides and backs, but my kids are just too tall, they look uncomfortable in their seats which I why I started the process of looking for booster cushions.

They appear to sit more naturally on the seat, if I raise the rear of it slightly, but am concerned about flattening the angle of the cushion which may make it prone to submarining in the event of a collision. It is almost as if the dished part of the cushion is too far forward, which makes their back look curved at an unnatural and uncomfortable angle.

Has anyone else encountered this and how was it solved - I know I cant put a price on my children's safety, but I cant afford to change a car every time the children outgrow a car seat. They are both 4 years old, and 115cm tall.

chocolate_o_brian 03 June 2014 06:18 AM

I hazard I'll have similar issues with my son. He's just 3 in March and over a metre already. Even had people in the street ask us when he was 2 why he's not at school FFS!

His current one is a Britax Evolva 123, which is supposed to be upto 11 years old. I doubt it in fairness so booster cushions may be required when he's older.

The Dogs B******s 03 June 2014 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 11441917)
I hazard I'll have similar issues with my son. He's just 3 in March and over a metre already. Even had people in the street ask us when he was 2 why he's not at school FFS!

His current one is a Britax Evolva 123, which is supposed to be upto 11 years old. I doubt it in fairness so booster cushions may be required when he's older.

He doesn't get his height from his dad.:D

chocolate_o_brian 03 June 2014 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 11441922)
He doesn't get his height from his dad.:D

Nope. Just stunning good looks and a winning smile.

Next.

Carnut 03 June 2014 09:47 AM

I had the same problem when I had a Legacy, I think you just need to accept that child car seats are made to fit the average bench like seats that come in golfs etc. The Legacy I had was fitted with sporty rear seats and the booster seat sat on top of the thigh supports.

Dr Hu 03 June 2014 11:44 AM

They are 4 and sit on boosters???

My kids are 8 & 10 and have just (in the last couple of months) come out of their Britax car seats.... the 'Group 2-3' - Age 4 to 12yrs
The rear backrest ratchets up as they grow...

Personally I wouldn't feel happy about a 4yr old just on a booster as they tend to slouch sideways and then the belt isn't a good fit then across their shoulder, it usually ends up against their neck!

These Britax seats have been in Impreza's, Legacy & now a new Forester... all have fitted perfectly on the ISOFIX mounts.

(actually they are still using them - but just as boosters, you can slide the back off the seat to use it a booster only)