ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Panel filter or induction (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1005045-panel-filter-or-induction.html)

madmattwrx 26 May 2014 11:11 PM

Panel filter or induction

I have a standard wrx bug it will have a new full turbo back decatted system on By end of the week I want to do the rest of the breathing tho..... As next month I plan a remap
What are you running or what is best my my old girl

FMJ 26 May 2014 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by madmattwrx (Post 11437249)
I have a standard wrx bug it will have a new full turbo back decatted system on By end of the week I want to do the rest of the breathing tho..... As next month I plan a remap
What are you running or what is best my my old girl

Panel all the way. IK's suffer from heat soak and can lead to MAF issues. You also don't need one until you start needing far more air then your standard turbo could ever need. Get a good panel filter like green cotton and jobs a good'un.

MrNoisy 27 May 2014 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by FMJ (Post 11437263)
Panel all the way. IK's suffer from heat soak and can lead to MAF issues. You also don't need one until you start needing far more air then your standard turbo could ever need. Get a good panel filter like green cotton and jobs a good'un.

Not all true, it depends what you go for.
The K&N Apollo kit is a sealed unit that we've seen 2 members in our group make impressive gains with over the standard air box when used with a cold air feed from the front fog cover.

I'd go either Green panel filter or K&N Apollo if you can stretch to it.

stonejedi 27 May 2014 11:55 AM

Panel filter as has been said K&N,GREEN,COSWORTH,will do you fine.SJ.

FMJ 27 May 2014 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MrNoisy (Post 11437367)
Not all true, it depends what you go for.
The K&N Apollo kit is a sealed unit that we've seen 2 members in our group make impressive gains with over the standard air box when used with a cold air feed from the front fog cover.

I'd go either Green panel filter or K&N Apollo if you can stretch to it.

What sort of gains? Really extra BHP or torque with just the fitting of the IK?

madmattwrx 27 May 2014 05:40 PM

Thanks guys think il go panel filter for the negligible gains il get with extra expense of a IK and put the extra to a walbro

MrNoisy 29 May 2014 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by FMJ (Post 11437617)
What sort of gains? Really extra BHP or torque with just the fitting of the IK?

About 20bhp and about 10-15 ft/lbs if I remember. We were as amazed as he was, no other changes just put it on, mapped and dyno'd
Look up the revolution test on it. More air, easier route, huge improvement.

FMJ 29 May 2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by MrNoisy (Post 11438891)
About 20bhp and about 10-15 ft/lbs if I remember. We were as amazed as he was, no other changes just put it on, mapped and dyno'd
Look up the revolution test on it. More air, easier route, huge improvement.

So you need a remap to get the benefit then. I though you meant as a stand alone mod :).

MrNoisy 30 May 2014 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by FMJ (Post 11438910)
So you need a remap to get the benefit then. I though you meant as a stand alone mod :).

Nope, but you have to admit that's mighty impressive for just a CAIK!
Panel filter wise, in the back to back Total Impreza test I think Green came second, and the first entry was a surprise can't think who it was but certainly wasn't the companies who would traditionally spring to mind first!