ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   engine whine (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1002695-engine-whine.html)

Kieran-STI 24 April 2014 03:15 PM

engine whine

my mates subaru impreza wrx sti 05 i think blobeye is making a annoying whining noise under the bonnet or under the gear box, when hes a low revs in a high gear it makes a very annoying like whining noise but once he lets off the accelerator it stops, can anyone help to what it could be?

ditchmyster 24 April 2014 03:19 PM

I want to know what people think it is as mine does exactly the same thing too.

Donnie Brasco 46 24 April 2014 06:40 PM

You sure it's not the other way round? ie whines a little on next to no throttle and then disappears when the accelerator is pressed??

Kieran-STI 24 April 2014 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco 46 (Post 11412366)
You sure it's not the other way round? ie whines a little on next to no throttle and then disappears when the accelerator is pressed??

No, if it's at low revs high gear & lightly press the accelerator it comes on but the higher the revs it goes away, but doesn't do it in lower gears

Steve's Sti 25 April 2014 12:23 PM

front diff?

ST1 26 April 2014 10:07 AM

Mine does this too, I'd also like to know peoples thoughts.

ditchmyster 26 April 2014 12:35 PM

Mine's been doing it for 10k, just hoping what ever it is that it keeps going till I pull the engine out in a couple of months and investigate further.:lol1:

Swiss tone 24 May 2014 12:59 PM

I've just posted a new thread with something similar if you can have a look and see what you think? Annoying noise from engine bay.

Swiss tone 24 May 2014 01:05 PM

Sounds like a few people are experiencing the same thing! Mine is a blobeye sti WR1. Think we all have the VF55 turbo and I'm thinking turbo bearing. Can buy the bearing cheap and an overhaul kit is only £40 on fleabag. What does anyone think?

K3ogh_sti 29 May 2014 12:52 AM

Gearbox, my 05 sti does It too, very annoying

Swiss tone 29 May 2014 08:48 AM

Hi matey, how are you sure it is the gearbox?
Just find i odd that mine only makes a whine noise when touching the accelerator. Lift off and it goes even when in gear and moving. I would have thought it would carry on making the noise if it's the gears as they are still turning.
You might have a different thing I guess though.

I am going to ivestigate the turbo further though by taking the pipe off at the compressor and spinning it by hand and feeling if any play in the turbo.

I could be wrong but as mine done 36K just can't see it being the gearbox where turbo's can suffer at any time depending how they are tret. Gearbox oil has been changed a couple of times looking at the service history as well.
Hope you get yours sorted anyway.

K3ogh_sti 29 May 2014 10:26 AM

Exact symptoms as mine dude, a lad down the road has a widetrack same as me and suffers the same he had it checked iirc and was told it's nothing to worry about, my car is 50kfsh etc motul oils in gearbox diff changed 5k ago, I refused to believe him to start with and thought it was coming from the glove box area but my hearing is wayward anyway, I had the glove box off and drove around to see if it was louder but it wasn't.

I confirmed it was gearbox by putting a cup over the gaiter surround whilst someone drove and sure enough you could hear it louder, sounds daft I know!

And I agree 100% with what your saying it only happens when you feather the accelerator and doesn't do it when you ease off if you try it out of gear it doesn't do it, for me it's gearbox whine :(

Chris

Swiss tone 29 May 2014 04:32 PM

Well that's thrown the cat amonst the pigeons then bud!

I don't think it will be too bad to look at the turbo so I'll post if I find anything. If it is the gearbox and nothing major then prob best leave well alone!

ditchmyster 29 May 2014 05:13 PM

Subarus tend to have noisy transmissions anyway, so I decided to suck it and see, a policy which thus far hasn't caused any problems and it does get driven in anger sometimes, doesn't seem to mind it, famous last words.:lol1:

K3ogh_sti 29 May 2014 06:35 PM

Yea let me know the outcome dude seems a lot of 05 dccd cars suffer with it, I put a thread last year or so and someone said there's done it from new :O

K3ogh_sti 29 May 2014 06:38 PM

https://www.scoobynet.com/showthread.php?t=952015&page=2

K3ogh_sti 08 June 2014 10:21 PM

Any news dude