ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   coilovers? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1002211-coilovers.html)

calum4492 17 April 2014 10:32 PM

coilovers?

been doing at abit of research on which to buy :wonder:
iv seen sets on the bay for give or take £400 but id imagine they'd be cheap rubbish, can any1 confirm this?

so which is the best set for money? don't wanna go over board and spend £££ on them but don't want crappy 1's which will fail pretty quickly

can some1 point me in the right direction please

fpan 17 April 2014 11:30 PM

What is your aim?

Fonzey 17 April 2014 11:31 PM

Cheap coilovers are the quickest way to ruin a perfectly good car, I learned that the hard way and have been chasing a good ride quality ever since, several thousand pounds later.

Stick with shocks/springs if a rad car IMO, but bilstein or KW the safe choices for coilovers... Just expect £1k plus.

nemesis1 18 April 2014 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fonzey (Post 11407155)
Cheap coilovers are the quickest way to ruin a perfectly good car, I learned that the hard way and have been chasing a good ride quality ever since, several thousand pounds later.

Stick with shocks/springs if a rad car IMO, but bilstein or KW the safe choices for coilovers... Just expect £1k plus.

i personally think the full set of coilovers u can get for £370 posted brandnew on ebay are good

if your not tracking/racing your car whats the point in spending £££££ on coilovers when your not going to use them to there potential its just a total waste of money i hear to much about people saying or spend a grand buy teins or bc etc... eh WHY?? there are very good coilovers dont get me wrong but all depends on your goal

end of the day if your looking for a nice ride dont buy coilovers in the first place there all hard and harsh and annoying anyways lol

Fonzey 18 April 2014 11:51 PM

Thats why I said stick with springs/shocks if not tracking, it'll drive better than any sub £1k coilover set in my experience.

taylor85 19 April 2014 08:30 AM

i fitted cheap coils to a vectra gsi "Hot tuning" or something they were called, Was changed off after 8 months as they was leaking

nemesis1 19 April 2014 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by taylor85 (Post 11407950)
i fitted cheap coils to a vectra gsi "Hot tuning" or something they were called, Was changed off after 8 months as they was leaking

u get a years cover with new ones tho :)

FMJ 19 April 2014 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by nemesis1 (Post 11407981)
u get a years cover with new ones tho :)

Yeah but you then have to send your shocks away for inspection/repair/replacement. So your car is off the road for weeks. Thats if the ebay seller is still around or honours it....

taylor85 19 April 2014 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by FMJ (Post 11407998)
Yeah but you then have to send your shocks away for inspection/repair/replacement. So your car is off the road for weeks. Thats if the ebay seller is still around or honours it....

Exactly !!

2pot 19 April 2014 06:23 PM

Assuming we're talking about a classic turbo; I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on this:
What about kyb excel-g struts, they're £250 for a set of 4.
P1 springs are progressive 190-203 front and progressive 95-163 rear.
I, along with another member on here, Scott.T, are testing springs at the moment, of various ratings.
You can't go to the P1 front rating, on the excel-g's, but you could do 177 front 163 rear.
Is that a better bet than cheap coilovers?

calum4492 20 April 2014 08:29 PM

so the general thought is to buy lowering springs rather than coilovers?

STI2.0_Bugeye_Black 20 April 2014 09:14 PM

Buy lowering springs if you're just trying to close the gap on your wheelwell for looks and slight handling improvement. My ebay coilovers leaked after a year of normal daily driving.

calum4492 21 April 2014 02:01 PM

So what do you think I should lower it? Seen 30mm lowering springs but is that enough? Got 17" wheels the now but at some point gonna upgrade front brakes as the brakes are **** so will probs need bigger wheels and 18" will be my max I will go
What make of springs are recommended?

2pot 21 April 2014 02:37 PM

What are the wheel centre to arch distances?

calum4492 21 April 2014 11:50 PM

Stock wheels at the moment, I'm guessing from that question I should get the bigger wheels first?

SAM-UK300 22 April 2014 12:28 PM

I got some eBay coilovers - £400 , only had them on 9 months but seem good so far, nice ride and is fully adjustable, was pleasantly surprised, just have to see how long they last.

BUT saying that, IF I had a little more money I would buy BC coilovers.

calum4492 22 April 2014 08:57 PM

which ebay ones did you buy? got a link?
i can hear a little squeak from 1 of the shockies (i think) everytime i go over a speed bump but have heard similar noises on customers cars and it turned out to be the roll bar link bushes, i should check this
regardless of that i only really want to close the gap but having a scoob i thought it would be rude not to put coil overs on it
then again haven't had coil overs on a car before, and the feed back in getting is not to buy them

decisions, decisions.......:wonder:

User 21721 22 April 2014 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by SAM-UK300 (Post 11410599)
I got some eBay coilovers - £400 , only had them on 9 months but seem good so far, nice ride and is fully adjustable, was pleasantly surprised, just have to see how long they last.

BUT saying that, IF I had a little more money I would buy BC coilovers.

Link please. So are they not harsh like your usual coilovers and did they improve handling?

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

SAM-UK300 23 April 2014 07:15 AM

I have found them to be really good, you can adjust spring rate and damper etc so you can make them as hard or soft as you like... softest setting I would say isnt that much different to STI suspension.

These are the ones I bough - Just email him and offer £400 and he will accept it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Racing-Coi...item4ad27b8e10

Grunty 23 April 2014 08:44 AM

Think HSD coilovers have a pretty good rep and are that bit cheaper than BCs. No experience of them myself but dritfworks sell them.

birchy2010 23 April 2014 09:33 AM

I'm rubbing hsd's on mine and they are ok. Struggled to get enough camber though with the design and construction. Fine been a daily driver as long as you avoid the pot holes ;)