ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Trans Atlantic Virgin (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1001982-trans-atlantic-virgin.html)

K3ogh_sti 14 April 2014 08:39 PM

Trans Atlantic Virgin

Who's flown with Virgin to the states? We only booked economy or poverty spec if you like, what was the in flight services like? We booked yesterday to San Francisco again 1200 quid each :cuckoo:

nik52wrx 14 April 2014 09:05 PM

We use them when travelling to Florida.
Overall experience has been very good although only flown economy once, other flights have been premium economy. For me it's worth the extra cost as I find regular economy too cramped for such a long flight.

As it happens we were looking at prices today, another trip to Disney was on the cards but the prices seem to have gone astro. Two weeks on site in a one bed villa £6000 which doesn't include the flights!
Way too much to justify for two weeks marching around theme parks....

Pigman149 14 April 2014 09:36 PM

i also used them to go to florida 3 years ago,went economy class but upgraded to extra leg room seats £60 each,each way. found them very good

SJ_Skyline 14 April 2014 09:46 PM

Virgin are ok but I prefer BA. Virgin check-in desk at LAX is truly dire if you are flying anything other than upper class.

RobsyUK 14 April 2014 10:09 PM

To sanfansico and back from Vegas for me in the near future is £700 including taxes... I don't know who's ass ****ing you but they are enjoying it.

Wife is going via air miles.

K3ogh_sti 14 April 2014 10:15 PM

We're going in August so booked relatively late that's the price :( we flew with united airlines last year was ok but not great, we're going for 17 days to stay with family in San Jose but have a few things planned whilst there one being going down the gulf of Cali to cabo etc, wow 6k is exspensive! We done a lot last time we went and spent 2800 dollars in two weeks we went to Vegas etc for a weekend though.

tony de wonderful 14 April 2014 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 11404792)
Virgin are ok but I prefer BA. Virgin check-in desk at LAX is truly dire if you are flying anything other than upper class.

LAX is a dump.

K3ogh_sti 14 April 2014 10:28 PM

Must admit I've never really fancied LA

SJ_Skyline 15 April 2014 06:11 AM

Totally agree with you Tony, it's not a very nice airport. I don't think I've ever paid £1200 for a cattle class return though, more like £800.

JGlanzaV 15 April 2014 07:48 AM

Virgin arent so bad, apart from when we arrived two days late for our holiday because they over sell all their planes on the basis that some people wont turn up!

Apart from this one time everyone did turn up and there were no seats and we ended up going via NY, and somewhere else to get to FL.

This was a few years ago now, so maybe they have sorted their lives out?

Used them alot since and never had this problem

SJ_Skyline 15 April 2014 09:40 AM

FWIW Emirates business class from London to Australia sets the bar (pun intended), especially on their A380s. :thumb:

K3ogh_sti 15 April 2014 12:31 PM

O no dont say that its my luck it would happen to me "/ i paid a grand or so last year and i booked well in advance so 1200 doesnt seem so bad? Not able to select seat 60 days beforw the flight is ****e tho tbh

Graz 15 April 2014 12:58 PM

Flown them a few times but not recently. Got bumped from Premium Economy to First Class whilst on a business trip to Washington. Very nice :)

Economy was also fine, I'm 6ft3 and didn't find it too bad while on a trip to NYC. Probably shouldn't have gone out drinking until the early hours once I got there though (leisure trip), worst jet lag I've ever had :lol1:

billythekid 15 April 2014 08:19 PM

VA are pretty good. Better than some of the other airlines I have flown over the pond. Their miles deals are good if you fly regularly.

Upper on VA is very good for the money, premium eco is also not bad. Both upper and premium are a lot cheaper than business on BA or Emirates.

Dingdongler 15 April 2014 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 11405048)
FWIW Emirates business class from London to Australia sets the bar (pun intended), especially on their A380s. :thumb:

I couldn't agree more. I'm in the taxi on the way home having just flown Emirates business.

They put Virgin Upper class and BA business to shame, Emirates are leagues ahead.
I'll never fly Virgin Upper or BA again if I can help it.

urban 16 April 2014 09:17 AM

I've flown to Florida with Virgin 3 times and upgraded to premium on the last two occasions (for very little money).

BuRR 16 April 2014 01:46 PM

I flew Emirates business class to Dubai, on a A380, but found it just like economy with space..... too many people to make you feel "attended to" ;)

Love the Virgin upper class lounge at Heathrow, and the limo transfer....... can't be arsed with the ninja suits they offer on an overnight flight though :)

Dingdongler 16 April 2014 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by BuRR (Post 11406026)
I flew Emirates business class to Dubai, on a A380, but found it just like economy with space..... too many people to make you feel "attended to" ;)

Love the Virgin upper class lounge at Heathrow, and the limo transfer....... can't be arsed with the ninja suits they offer on an overnight flight though :)

Funnily enough I know what you mean. I actually preferred business on their 777 to the A380 as it felt more private/intimate. The service however was still excellent, imho much better than I've had from some sour faced old tarts on BA and VA.

The 'lounge/bar' on the A380 is a nice touch though and it's far better stocked with food and drink than the bar I've experienced on VA UC.

SJ_Skyline 16 April 2014 03:27 PM

I love the A380 bar, what a civilized way to travel without having to mix with the great unwashed on the lower deck :smug:

Fonzey 16 April 2014 03:53 PM

I've used VA a few times now to Florida. They operate two planes to the US, the 747 and the A330. Until 2012/early 2013 the A330 was the one to go on, as it had the "new" interior - ondemand entertainment system etc, and the 747s had the oldschool "films on a loop" type arrangement.

By early 2013 though they'd refurbed all of the 747s to the same style interior - so they're all pretty good planes to go on now!

One of my favourite air-liners, doing a load of work trips to the US this year so hoping to get a spot on a VA plane!

urban 16 April 2014 04:38 PM

the A330 - was the the purple/lilac interior?

Devildog 16 April 2014 04:53 PM

Flying to Thailand with Emirates in the summer.

Considering the business class updgrade but its a cool £1850 extra per person return

Fonzey 16 April 2014 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11406102)
the A330 - was the the purple/lilac interior?

Yeah, If I recall correctly!

BuRR 16 April 2014 06:17 PM

tbh.... I thought the idea with flying business class is to get wasted in the executive lounge before you even get on the plane.... then who cares what it's like? :D

davyboy 16 April 2014 08:01 PM

Hard not to get wasted with Emirates business. Especially if it involves a stop over.

I got in to the wrong bed on virgin upper class once. Might have had to long in the lounge on that one.

dpb 16 April 2014 08:09 PM

I can't imagine there's too many transatlantic virgins left...!

little-ginge 26 April 2014 09:33 PM

Flown VA to LAX twice and once to Orlando. Went by BA to Orlando too....never ever again. VA all the way. Much friendlier, better seats and inflight stuff!