ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   RIP Windows XP (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1001494-rip-windows-xp.html)

f1_fan 08 April 2014 09:56 AM

RIP Windows XP

Microsoft's best ever all round OS has finally gone end of life today after thirteen years!

Microsoft's official statement says the OS will no longer have security updates and patches made available and users should upgrade to a newer OS.

I took heed and now use OSX :D

Thanks Microsoft for the abominations that are Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8... you finally made me realise how great Apple's Mac and OS really is :thumb:

JackClark 08 April 2014 10:00 AM

Doesn't XP account for 70% of the Microsoft install base. Going to be great year for Malware.

f1_fan 08 April 2014 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11399640)
Doesn't XP account for 70% of the Microsoft install base. Going to be great year for Malware.

MS say 30% now, but as that includes many cash points, supermarket EPOS systems and even some airport information systems it is quite an important user base!

jonc 08 April 2014 11:07 AM

Typically, those kinds of endpoints are on a "closed" network with very limited access and priviliges and are not subject to your typical malware infection.

XP was great and I think Windows 7 will go the same way.

wrx5343 08 April 2014 11:14 AM

Its not 100% dead, Our government and the Dutch government struck a deal with Microsoft to extend support at a cost of $200 per user!!!!

hodgy0_2 08 April 2014 11:38 AM

I like Windows 8.1

and I am one of the biggest luddites going

Rob_Impreza99 08 April 2014 02:27 PM

My mate ran into this problem recently, the problem he had was his PC was around 8 yrs old so finding motherboard drivers to run windows 7 or 8 was impossible, never mind trying to run it with ancient hardware. It was an old PC world computer with a generic, cheap motherboard with very little support.

In the end i built him a new PC, in the long run it was by far the best option, he's never experienced SSD's before, he can't believe the speed compared to the old 5400rpm mechanical drive that he used to have. In a way he's made up that XP came to an end as it forced him to upgrade his PC.

riiidaa 08 April 2014 03:30 PM

7 and 8 are ok but Vista was an abomination

BLU 08 April 2014 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11399638)
Thanks Microsoft for the abominations that are Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8... you finally made me realise how great Apple's Mac and OS really is :thumb:

+1

sent from my iMac :D

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 11399822)
7 and 8 are ok but Vista was an abomination

We have 7 on my daughters and 8 on my sons laptop. I just can't get on with either, especially 8.

Ant 08 April 2014 04:36 PM

windows 7 isn't that bad tbh neither is 8 a lot stabler than xp

hodgy0_2 08 April 2014 06:51 PM

Seriously, if you think windows 8 is bad, wait until you try Office 2013 - jeez a hard core redesign of the UI

As I said I like windows 8, I like logging in with a live id - and having seamless access to cloud services

I like the block graphics

f1_fan 08 April 2014 07:43 PM

I like an OS that just lets me get on with it, that's why I like OSX!

Used to be into building PCs and overclocking and all that nonsense, but these days I need a computer I can turn on, not have to fight it at every turn to get it to do what I want it to do and then turn it off!

bioforger 08 April 2014 07:49 PM

Yea well you can do all that with a PC running Win7 unless you are an idiot.

JackClark 08 April 2014 08:55 PM

LOL. New printer for the office last week. Macs, there's a new printer nearby, do you want to use it? Windows, various drivers of up to 60mb - once they could see it - what a pain but I guess I'm an idiot.

BLU 08 April 2014 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 11400022)
Yea well you can do all that with a PC running Win7 unless you are an idiot.

Until it throws a random wobbler like windows machines seem to do :-/

I'm well and truly converted to mac for the same reasons as f1_fan. Haven't got time to be gaffing around, I just want it to work!!

ALi-B 09 April 2014 12:44 AM

About time XP died. Since Vista I've hated it (I have to use it daily - not my choice :( ).

Plugs and no play, searching and manually installing drivers as autodetect never works, Poor WiFi integration, hell even poor DVD-RW integration.

Vista/Win 7...Miles better. Much more resource hungry, but then you don't run a slow computer on Vista...which too many people went and did. win 7 is a bit of push these day after all the patches. Win 8? Nope. Thats finished it for me.

Hopefully by the time win8 onwards becomes forced upon me, the software that forces me to to use a MS operating system will support and make it work properly on other operating systems.

....The gas analyser runs XP, it crashes/locks up daily. The office PCs run win7, they've never crashed/blue screen/locked up.

pimmo2000 09 April 2014 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11400015)
I like an OS that just lets me get on with it, that's why I like OSX!

Used to be into building PCs and overclocking and all that nonsense, but these days I need a computer I can turn on, not have to fight it at every turn to get it to do what I want it to do and then turn it off!

Doesn't sound like you were very good at it then :D my rig was built once and has worked for 6 years now.

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11400085)
LOL. New printer for the office last week. Macs, there's a new printer nearby, do you want to use it? Windows, various drivers of up to 60mb - once they could see it - what a pain but I guess I'm an idiot.

Apparently you are, Wins 7 and 8 have support for most printers, I've never had an issue with either.

f1_fan 09 April 2014 08:38 AM

Being called an idiot by bioforger and pimmo..... An oxymoron in itself :lol1:

f1_fan 09 April 2014 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 11400094)
Until it throws a random wobbler like windows machines seem to do :-/

I'm well and truly converted to mac for the same reasons as f1_fan. Haven't got time to be gaffing around, I just want it to work!!

Precisely and to be fair I have had a Mac for a long time for testing purposes yet was always a Windows user in preference as it's what I used in my previous jobs. Windows Vista and then Windows 7 finally made me try the old Mac more and more and then I bit the bullet and bought a nice new 27" iMac.... fantastic. Quiet, quick and no hassle. Just let's me do my job :thumb:

JackClark 09 April 2014 01:01 PM

Windows 7 and 8 detected the printers, a Dell and a HP, even had a pretty picture, then asked for the driver.

ALi-B 09 April 2014 01:19 PM

If its connected to the net, vista/7/8 should just do it automatically. Always has for me at least (HP, Epson (domestic and commercial) Oki and Canon). The scanners on some multifunction printers can be a bit hit and miss, but that is more down to the printer manufacturers IMHO (For example the Epson CX11 needs software to use the scanner, whereas the Canon MP970 doesn't and cheap domestic HPs are an arse).

pimmo2000 09 April 2014 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11400354)
Being called an idiot by bioforger and pimmo..... An oxymoron in itself :lol1:

I didn't call you an idiot.

Galifrey 09 April 2014 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11399638)

7 is way better than XP. XP still has stability problems, endless bluescreens, unexplained slowdowns, memory cap as only 32bit. Don't get me started on the almost unsupported x64.

Haven't used it since 7 was in beta (except on work pcs) and will not miss it in the slightest, as it is a proper pain in the ass having to go back to my crappy work PC with it's antiquated software.

Vista and 8 both rubbish, agreed, but Windows 7 Pro 64bit is all I will need for a while.

f1_fan 09 April 2014 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Galifrey (Post 11400616)
7 is way better than XP. XP still has stability problems, endless bluescreens, unexplained slowdowns, memory cap as only 32bit. Don't get me started on the almost unsupported x64.

Haven't used it since 7 was in beta (except on work pcs) and will not miss it in the slightest, as it is a proper pain in the ass having to go back to my crappy work PC with it's antiquated software.

Vista and 8 both rubbish, agreed, but Windows 7 Pro 64bit is all I will need for a while.

Use Windows 7 all you like, sing its praises, write it a bloody song if you want... doesn't change the fact that I think it's sh1t :thumb:

Galifrey 09 April 2014 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11400624)
Use Windows 7 all you like, sing its praises, write it a bloody song if you want... doesn't change the fact that I think it's sh1t :thumb:

I just dispute it is worse than XP where you are clearly factually incorrect.

I care not what you THINK, just the facts.

:thumb:

pimmo2000 09 April 2014 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Galifrey (Post 11400627)
I just dispute it is worse than XP where you are clearly factually incorrect.

I care not what you THINK, just the facts.

:thumb:

Oh dear, he doesn't like facts, here come the insults..

bioforger 09 April 2014 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11400550)
I didn't call you an idiot.

Neither did i to be fair, i think he's lost the ability to read and understand what has been written in recent times.

jonc 09 April 2014 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Galifrey (Post 11400616)

Yep don't miss XP either, whilst it was a good OS, Win7 leagues a head, have on my kids PC and wife's laptop for several years and had not one problem with them. No longer plug and pray like XP, everything works in Win7. I run Linux on my laptop and run Win7 in Virtualbox, definitely recommend that over VMware Player and is a great setup and very secure. Apart from XP, OSX is currently the least secure mainstream OS build currently out there.

pimmo2000 09 April 2014 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 11400736)
Neither did i to be fair, i think he's lost the ability to read and understand what has been written in recent times.

It's difficult to read the forums from his high horse.

bioforger 09 April 2014 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11400781)
It's difficult to read the forums from his high horse.

Yes, also he seems to have turned into a right stuck up snob since shoehorning himself into that sh1tty kraut barge he sometimes potters around in ;)