ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Travelling to London help. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1001301-travelling-to-london-help.html)

Ant 05 April 2014 07:47 PM

Travelling to London help.

I'm traveling down from notts next weekend for the London marathon , what's the best train station to park at and travel into on the train? In the zonal areas

Help appreciated

Wyorksautoectrical 05 April 2014 08:16 PM

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/london/
This is what I use, you can pay to leave you're car on eg: someone's drive, which vary in price £10/£20 for the day.
Check above link.
I did this when I have been to wembley stadium, the tube from wembley to central London is 15 min..
I found a private drive for £15 for the day and was a 10 min walk to the stadium, I would to check on map and try find one Nr one of the tube stations.

grey_boy 05 April 2014 08:18 PM

I used this similar and cost effective and safe, if off the road that is!
https://www.parkatmyhouse.com/uk/parking/london/

hodgy0_2 05 April 2014 09:16 PM

I have done the London marathon a few times so good luck, and it is a great day

I would park on the jubilee line, Neasden, Dollis Hill, Willesden Green - all have close free street parking (yellow lines free on Sunday)

Jubilee line to Waterloo, then train to the start

Close to the end of the M1 too (and you get free travel)

Ant 05 April 2014 09:20 PM

Park on my drive are exploiting the marathon and changing £60 where a few months ago family member got it for £10 (same drive)

Hodgy any idea what's the parking like near stanmore?

hodgy0_2 06 April 2014 07:33 AM

Stanmore has a car park - most tube station at end the line do

But you may need to check whether it is running a full weekend service, some "end of the line" stations cater for commuters primarily, so have reduced service on the weekend

But the jubilee line is a good one, quite new/modern and gets you to Waterloo without a change

Lots of websites have info in parking at tub station though - I would just try an avoid driving to far into London, Sunday traffic in london can be very unpredictable

And getting stressed is the last thing you need on he morning of a marathon

JonMc 06 April 2014 07:39 AM

You can park n my drive for £55 and I'll drive you to Stanmore station!!!!

There is an NCP car park at Stanmore or Canons Park (next stop along) but don't try and skimp by parking in any of the surrounding as there are lots of restrictions and the traffic wardens will be out in force on that day:(

hodgy0_2 06 April 2014 08:03 AM

On a Sunday?

JonMc 06 April 2014 08:16 AM

You'll be surprised - especially in residential zones. One of the guys in MSOC got a ticket for parking on a Saturday night about 10-ish when you'd normally have expected the zones to have expired:cuckoo:

hodgy0_2 06 April 2014 08:29 AM

Yeah, you certainly have to have your wits about, I was born in central London and lived there for 40 years, passed my test in 1984 - and did most of my driving in and around London

The parking restrictions seemed to get worse and worse - often for good reasons and often to protect the residents - as any Londoner would attest to if you happened to live near a Tube Station with free street parking that was used by commuters driving parking then getting the tube - it could be a nightmare - until the introduction of residence parking

Anyway - I am pretty sure Sunday would have few restrictions over and above the statutory ones regarding double yellow lines - but it is also worth taking careful notice the resident parking times, they will be posted

My father has off road parking that you maybe able to use - but it is right in central London - on the central line - which would mean a change and a potential nightmare to get too

Ant 06 April 2014 09:28 AM

Thanks guys, the ticket office is open on Sundays at stanmore so I presume the line will be running.

I had to work 3 weeks in London for BT the parking restrictions is crazy compared to ooop north
Normally I take the train straight from nottingham to St pancreas so hence the question.

hodgy0_2 06 April 2014 09:54 AM

I would just check the timing of the first train

Is the marathon a 9.30 start, good to get there with half an hour to go

Like I said keep all unnecessary stress levels to a minimum - this allows you to keep focused

At this stage it is all in the head - a mental challenge as much as a physical one

Especially at 8 miles, when you realise you have 18 to go - a head fvck every time

JonMc 06 April 2014 01:18 PM

You can get into the start in plenty of time along the Jubilee line - I did it a couple of years ago. You're more than welcome to park outside my house but it is then a bus ride to Stanmore - depending upon when my son's football starts that day I might even be able to run you into Stanmore station:thumb:

Ant 06 April 2014 01:29 PM

Thanks for the offer Jon but we have two cars travelling down so parking would be better for us.

Hodge I'm not running it (I'm not marathon built :lol1: ) my brother is running it on behalf cancer research. He's raised £2500 so far which is not bad for his first ever marathon

JonMc 06 April 2014 01:31 PM

The road outside our house is always clear so 2 cars is not a problem - the offer's always there if you need it:thumb:

hodgy0_2 06 April 2014 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 11397982)
Thanks for the offer Jon but we have two cars travelling down so parking would be better for us.

Hodge I'm not running it (I'm not marathon built :lol1: ) my brother is running it on behalf cancer research. He's raised £2500 so far which is not bad for his first ever marathon

Well good luck to him, as I said earlier, a great day - London at its best, both for runners and spectators

And marathon built!!! Lol, no such thing in the London marathon you literally see every shape and size possible

Post race --- Westminster station (on the jubilee line) can get busy - i.e. a queue to get in the station, maybe tab to Green Park

Ant 06 April 2014 06:00 PM

I'll remember the bit about green park :thumb:

Ant 13 April 2014 11:59 PM

Well just got back , all good advice received .

The NCP was £5.50 for the day :thumb:

And Westminster was rammed so avoided the jubilee line and used the Piccadilly line to get to green park.

Brother ran it in 4:10.09

But after getting up at 5am and only just getting through the door I'm knackered :D

riiidaa 14 April 2014 12:07 AM

great stuff

SJ_Skyline 14 April 2014 07:12 AM

Good time :thumb:

JonMc 14 April 2014 07:46 AM

Long day but glad it all worked out - I went through Stanmore about midday and it was rammed with Sheffield fans getting smashed before heading off to Wembley - the Mrs said the trains weren't to bad though.

Good time, hope you all enjoyed the carnival atmosphere - after I did it in 2010 I didn't want to do another marathon but after watching it yesterday I've decided to re-apply for the London Marathon next year:thumb:

Ant 14 April 2014 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 11404167)
Long day but glad it all worked out - I went through Stanmore about midday and it was rammed with Sheffield fans getting smashed before heading off to Wembley - the Mrs said the trains weren't to bad though.

Good time, hope you all enjoyed the carnival atmosphere - after I did it in 2010 I didn't want to do another marathon but after watching it yesterday I've decided to re-apply for the London Marathon next year:thumb:

Nice one jon.i think we may make it an annual thing to spectate as like you say the atmosphere is great

I think it would of been easier for me to run it then dealing with the queues on the tube :lol1:

ChrisB 14 April 2014 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 11404167)

It is quite inspiring - makes me want to get cracking with training for the Yorkshire Marathon in October

paulr 14 April 2014 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 11404153)
Good time :thumb:

Depends on age etc, but it's a decent time. For a fit, healthy male you need to be under 4 hours.

All IMO of course.

JonMc 14 April 2014 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 11404467)
It is quite inspiring - makes me want to get cracking with training for the Yorkshire Marathon in October

TBH it's as much about the atmosphere in London - I don't think I'd do any other Marathon as I didn't enjoy the run per se, but I am looking a doing a 100km race next year - too late for this year as I'm just coming back from injury:eek: