ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Sports Cat vs Decat Downpipe (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1000958-sports-cat-vs-decat-downpipe.html)

ScottyPPP 01 April 2014 10:19 AM

Sports Cat vs Decat Downpipe

Hi,

I have a collection of parts to go onto my Blob wagon (TD05 16G, Hawk 550 injectors, Prodrive sports cat, STi Up-pipe, 3 port etc).

This is the first turbo car I've had and would really like the odd flame and pops and bangs etc out the back which i'm not going to get with the sports cat.

If I went full decat instead and just kept hold of my current WRX catted downpipe for MOT's would this work? Or will fitting the downpipe for an MOT cause a load of argo as the car would be mapped with the decat?

The sports cat I have is the prodrive divorced wastegate item with the 2nd decat attached to it.

Cheers,

Scott

Alan Jeffery 01 April 2014 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyPPP (Post 11393828)
Hi,

I have a collection of parts to go onto my Blob wagon (TD05 16G, Hawk 550 injectors, Prodrive sports cat, STi Up-pipe, 3 port etc).

This is the first turbo car I've had and would really like the odd flame and pops and bangs etc out the back which i'm not going to get with the sports cat.

If I went full decat instead and just kept hold of my current WRX catted downpipe for MOT's would this work? Or will fitting the downpipe for an MOT cause a load of argo as the car would be mapped with the decat?

The sports cat I have is the prodrive divorced wastegate item with the 2nd decat attached to it.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott

It's the usual dilemma. You have to choose! Fitting the sport cat just for an MOT won't hurt the car at all.

Alan Jeffery 01 April 2014 01:41 PM

PS of course it will have to be mapped to get the best from the decat, also to eliminate the warning light issues.

ScottyPPP 01 April 2014 02:01 PM

It wouldn't be the sports cat i would fit for MOT's just the stock WRX downpipe.

Alan Jeffery 01 April 2014 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyPPP (Post 11393976)
It wouldn't be the sports cat i would fit for MOT's just the stock WRX downpipe.

Ditto..

Gambit 01 April 2014 11:20 PM

I thought the ppp sportcats are mot friendly & flow very well, so the difference between full decat and sportcat isnt that big? Which inturn doesnt really make it worthwhile swapping in & out each year.

Is there a proven % difference between ppp & decat?

ScottyPPP 01 April 2014 11:32 PM

Its not the power difference i'm fussed about, I want flames

derek sti 01 April 2014 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyPPP (Post 11394490)
Its not the power difference i'm fussed about, I want flames

Hope you're ready for the barrage coming you're way mate.

ScottyPPP 01 April 2014 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by derek sti (Post 11394493)
Hope you're ready for the barrage coming you're way mate.

Your* :thumb:

I just want the odd flame out the back on spirited gear changes and some pops and bangs. Not a flamer kit!!!

ScottyPPP 04 April 2014 08:56 AM

Are classic and newage downpipes the same fitment?

Gambit 05 April 2014 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyPPP (Post 11396363)
Are classic and newage downpipes the same fitment?

no

just me 06 April 2014 04:32 PM

Im at 409bhp with a prodrive sports cat, car wouldnt go any higher so will be going decat.