ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How to remove a 2 post lift (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1000780-how-to-remove-a-2-post-lift.html)

JGlanzaV 29 March 2014 12:16 PM

How to remove a 2 post lift

Righty, ive got a 2 post lift i have to pick up, I assume it is the screw/cable type as i dont see a hydraulic resivour anywhere on it.

Ive tried googling and youtubing but I cannot find anything.

How do these come apart and go back together?

RICHARD J 29 March 2014 12:59 PM

Most have a chain running across the floor linking the two sides. Once this is dismantled & the electrics removed, then the legs can be removed & each pillar unbolted & then put in a van or on a flat bed. Be warned they are HEAVY you need a few big mates to help, removing the carriage from the pillars can make it a bit lighter but is more work.

JGlanzaV 29 March 2014 01:04 PM

575kg to be precise :)

How would you take the tension out of the chain etc?

What about if it is a cable lift type?

RICHARD J 29 March 2014 01:18 PM

The chain has a tensioner but you may have to remove a sprocket aswell. All ramps have cables either safety cables or balance cables, the lifting mechanism will be hydraulic or screw type. They are fairly simple just take your time to work it out & be carefull.

JGlanzaV 29 March 2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by RICHARD J (Post 11391800)
The chain has a tensioner but you may have to remove a sprocket aswell. All ramps have cables either safety cables or balance cables, the lifting mechanism will be hydraulic or screw type. They are fairly simple just take your time to work it out & be carefull.

Thanks, I wanted to transport it whole but i just dont think its possible, so allowing for worst case!

my94wrx 29 March 2014 04:34 PM

when i moved ramp which is a old bradbury 2103 i first sent the ramp by about a foot so the arm locks hold the arms in place. i then removed the balance cable and then unbolted the posts from the frame when the posts are unbolted from the frame you can slide the posts inwards, this allows the chain to drop off the sprocket, you can then tip the posts over, you will need a few of you as the posts are heavy and slippy from the grease.

just to ad that i first transported mine whole on the back of a recovery truck very easy to winch on the only reason for taking it apart was that a new location came up and it wouldnt fit through the hole whole.

ALi-B 29 March 2014 08:42 PM

Our Senhoj is a chain...that's easy, like a mechano set. Find the removable link,remove chain, remove safety cables (pulls a cut out switch if one arm fails to move), unbolt the pillars and down she comes (two man job), just leaving the base.

The Bradbury though is a shaft drive. Thats alot more fiddly (and a hell of alot heavier). But once the shaft is out, the pillars unbolt from the base in the same way.

Both are single motor electro-mechanical floor driven with a base (not the base-less jobbies, never messed with one of them - they are either hydrualic or twin motor IIRC).

CREWJ 30 March 2014 03:56 PM

Lift with your legs :D

JGlanzaV 01 April 2014 02:41 PM

Haha, thanks guys, the one i have purchased is a based one with a chain drive, the tensioner is right in the middle so i need to slacken that off and the chain will come out.

There is the safety wire going between the posts does this just get disconnected? there is a screwed connecter in the middle

steve jackson 01 April 2014 06:49 PM

leave it in one piece, put a support between uprights and strap it tight, then lift with forklift on to flatbed trailer easy :-)

Well it worked for me last one I sold.

steve