ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   standard map sensor max boost? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1000341-standard-map-sensor-max-boost.html)

just me 23 March 2014 08:19 PM

standard map sensor max boost?

I have a problem with my boost gauge reading 2 bar, I know this is far too much as the car was mapped for 1.65 bar.

I dont know if the gauge is over reading, I used the boost gauge on Torque app, which I beleive takes the reading from the map sensor.

However it only shows 1.5 bar max boost?

Is this the maximum boost the standard map sensor can see? And if it is how is it possible to map a car for more boost?

Car is a widetrack blob sti running 409bhp with supporting mods.

53 23 March 2014 08:29 PM

1.7 IIRC for a later map sensor ? :)

tweaks 23 March 2014 08:37 PM

As above, and you can map a car for more boost than the stock map sensor can see easily it's just that the safety parameters are compromised as the map sensor can no longer tell if the car is over boosting.hth

Tim

just me 23 March 2014 08:37 PM

Thanks 53, seems neither the gauge nor Torque app are accurate, or one of them is accurate but need to find out which one:wonder:

Either way if its over boosting or under boosting I still have a problem.

Cleaned the bcs recently with brake cleaner, replaced a split pipe at the turbo t peice, checked for anymore leaks with a smoke machine at a garage.

Could I have ruined the bcs with the brake cleaner?

just me 23 March 2014 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by tweaks (Post 11387303)
As above, and you can map a car for more boost than the stock map sensor can see easily it's just that the safety parameters are compromised as the map sensor can no longer tell if the car is over boosting.hth

Tim

Thanks Tim, I wanted to check if the Torque app reading was accurate, as if it was it would indicate my boost gauge is faulty.

However if the map sensor can see 1.7 bar it causes further confusion as torque is only seeing 1.5 bar.

peter zippy reid 23 March 2014 09:07 PM

did the hose you replaced have a restrictor pill in it

just me 23 March 2014 09:09 PM

It was the one on the other side, restrictor pill is still there.

cheers

53 23 March 2014 09:32 PM

Also if it's mapped to 1.65 that doesn't leave much in the way of margin for overboost and fuel cut, which you really want to avoid :)

just me 23 March 2014 10:02 PM

I would have thought that fuel cut would kick in before 2 bar?

She pulls all the way to the red line.

53 23 March 2014 10:10 PM

Yes 1.7, which is my point :) 1.65 is very close to the fuel cut unless it's been bypassed :) On my classic for example I rewired in a later map sensor as the OEM sensor is only 1.2 ! :) I run 1.4 so 1.7 is plenty for my needs. :)

just me 23 March 2014 10:14 PM

Oh I see what you mean :)

Just ordered a new gauge, hopefully this one wont go over 1.7 bar, but at least it should rule out a faulty gauge.

peter zippy reid 23 March 2014 10:14 PM

I run 1.65 but i have avcr with 3bar map sensor

Jolly Green Monster 23 March 2014 11:11 PM

the ecu will only show a max of 1.55bar... effectively 255 being its highest possibly number for the size in memory it is allocated.. the sensor normally maxes around 1.65bar, occasionally 1.7bar but usually find 1.65bar so I suspect it has been mapped with no boost cut if it overboosts.

double check for leaks in pipework to actuator and boost solenoid

just me 24 March 2014 02:00 AM

Many thanks JGM, I will check the pipes again, I was wondering if I find all the pipes intact, and the new gauge still reads over 1.65 bar, could you suggest if there is anything else that might cause this issue?

Thanks

just me 25 March 2014 02:32 PM

Checked all the pipes again, still cant find any splits, I would like to replace the hoses anyway, just in case I have missed something, do Samco make replacement hoses, cant seem to find any?