ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Looking for your opinions on next little mod (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1000293-looking-for-your-opinions-on-next-little-mod.html)

mellinator2k 23 March 2014 03:05 PM

Looking for your opinions on next little mod

Hi Guys,

I have a blob eye sti in blue.

I am looking to perform a little mod once i get car back from paint shop (getting boot resprayed due to classic spoiler rust)

I have outlined a few options and looking for your opinions on what to go for as I am lost!!

*Mudflaps
*Front and rear strut brace
*HID fitting kit
*STI wing stiffi's

Any thoughts or any other suggestions?

Cheers:luxhello:

mellinator2k 23 March 2014 03:07 PM

To note I already have a front splitter on the car

alcazar 23 March 2014 03:35 PM

Stiffer rear arb?
Solid droplinks all round?
4-wheel alignment?

Inviroman 23 March 2014 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11386934)
Stiffer rear arb?
Solid droplinks all round?
4-wheel alignment?

Apologies to hijack, what size rear ARB and best place to buy both ARB and drop links from, is it wise to replace the front ARB aswell?
Already had the full alignment done, will need re setting up after?
Cheers

JonMc 23 March 2014 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Inviroman (Post 11386947)
Apologies to hijack, what size rear ARB and best place to buy both ARB and drop links from, is it wise to replace the front ARB aswell?
Already had the full alignment done, will need re setting up after?
Cheers

CDF Racing does a full kit, but try others such as Alyn at ASP for some good advice on thickness etc.

You shouldn't need to get your wheel alignment redone unless you disturb any bolts or settings other than the ARB ones:thumb:

mellinator2k 23 March 2014 10:10 PM

Does fitting the front and rear strut actually make any difference, or is it worth saving for the rear arb (24mm)?

Cheers folks!

alcazar 24 March 2014 12:09 PM

Don't replace BOTH arbs, unless you keep the front softer than the rear, or you will put the understeer back:(

As for struts, not as important on new age cars as on classics.

mellinator2k 24 March 2014 04:03 PM

Cheers mate, I am thinking a set of mudflaps from scoobyworld. Just a plain blue set.
I dont drive the car hard enough to need an arb and I think the mud flaps would set the car off

kevfawcett 24 March 2014 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by mellinator2k (Post 11387855)
Cheers mate, I am thinking a set of mudflaps from scoobyworld. Just a plain blue set.
I dont drive the car hard enough to need an arb and I think the mud flaps would set the car off

They wouldn't, mud flaps look gash, IMO

romford-boy 24 March 2014 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by mellinator2k (Post 11386913)

*Mudflaps
*Front and rear strut brace
*HID fitting kit
*STI wing stiffi's

-Mudflaps are a good little DIY mod.
-You won't notice front and rear strut braces much and you don't need to make the car stiffer.
-HIDs - I have a feeling there are legality issues about installing these, check on the lighting forum of this website as the answers are there.
-Wing stiffi's - personally not a fan.

Is the car on a sports exhaust with a remap?
Front splitter?
Black dash instead of silver?
Better door speakers?

Lunchmoney 24 March 2014 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by kevfawcett (Post 11387869)
They wouldn't, mud flaps look gash, IMO

So dont put mud flaps on your car. If the OP likes the look then he can put them on. Everyone is free to change the look of their cars however they want.

kevfawcett 24 March 2014 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lunchmoney (Post 11387879)
So dont put mud flaps on your car. If the OP likes the look then he can put them on. Everyone is free to change the look of their cars however they want.

I haven't and won't. He can and might however, the title of the thread is 'Looking for your opinions on next little mod'. I gave him my opinion.

mellinator2k 24 March 2014 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by romford-boy (Post 11387878)
-Mudflaps are a good little DIY mod.
-You won't notice front and rear strut braces much and you don't need to make the car stiffer.
-HIDs - I have a feeling there are legality issues about installing these, check on the lighting forum of this website as the answers are there.
-Wing stiffi's - personally not a fan.

Is the car on a sports exhaust with a remap?
Front splitter?
Black dash instead of silver?
Better door speakers?

Do HID's look taccy unless they are geniune headlamps? I am not sure...
Wing Stiffi's I think may be a bit of a nightmare to install
Strut braces, yeah I think they would not add that much to the handling
Mudflaps- I am still unsure tbh- Not sure again if they look taccy of not?? I am after a 'clean' look and not sure if these spoil it or not.
Already got a front carbon splitter
Door speakers, now there is something- mine are terrible!!!! Would not want to spend a fortune though.

Thanks!!

mellinator2k 24 March 2014 05:11 PM

Not got a remap, but have PPP with sports cat- cant afford 400+ for remap at the moment. Would love to though

mellinator2k 24 March 2014 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by kevfawcett (Post 11387891)
I haven't and won't. He can and might however, the title of the thread is 'Looking for your opinions on next little mod'. I gave him my opinion.

All opinions welcome folks, no bad opinions here-thanks! :luxhello:

mellinator2k 24 March 2014 05:14 PM

I do have one major dilemma though....

So the boot lid has a little rust where the spoiler meets it-due to the weather stripping prob knackered. Its not too bad but you can just see it if looking close.

My bonnet has a lot of stone chips on it and one slight dink from a stone chip. Annoys me a lot.

What one of the two panels would you get resprayed- I can only afford one panel to be done@ £200 a panel!

My brother thinks im mental even considering the bonnet, but i think it would look great. However rust on bootlid should prob be dealt with first?

tubbytommy 24 March 2014 05:31 PM

Wrc sticker kit

mellinator2k 24 March 2014 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11387907)
Wrc sticker kit

THE definition of taccy to me :lol:

Trinity 24 March 2014 06:08 PM

HID's - the most important thing you could ever do. Standard halogen lights are just big candles and should be banned from being used. I really believe we would see a reduction in traffic accidents at night especially in the countryside if this happened.

I would punt for a set of proper OEM JDM Xenons though!

Perrin Stifis - whats the point?
Mudflaps - look gash (as already mentioned)

but its your car, dress it up how you want, but id spend the money on more functional things, even cheap bits like polybushing the roll bars and putting in some solid drop links

BLU 24 March 2014 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 11387939)
HID's - the most important thing you could ever do. Standard halogen lights are just big candles and should be banned from being used. I really believe we would see a reduction in traffic accidents at night especially in the countryside if this happened.

I would punt for a set of proper OEM JDM Xenons though!

I disagree with that statement completely. A DECENT set of halogens are more than good enough, even for dark unlit B roads.

Don't think they did an oem hid headlight for the Blob, they did for the Bug and the Hawk iirc though.

Trinity 24 March 2014 06:17 PM

you obviously have halogens then :norty:

yes they do do an OEM unit, JDM models, I have them on mine (hence why I said JDM)

romford-boy 24 March 2014 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 11387942)

yes they do do an OEM unit, JDM models, I have them on mine (hence why I said JDM)

They could be a bit out of his price range at the mo though - I thought the OEM JDM ones were a bit pricey?

In my view this (the S204) was the very best four door Impreza ever made, and all the mods are nice and subtle - would make a great basis for your mods as and when your budget allows:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...y-rare/2135034

mellinator2k 24 March 2014 06:59 PM

Thanks everyone, loving the opinions! :luxhello:

BLU 24 March 2014 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 11387942)
you obviously have halogens then :norty:

Well I didn't know that they did them on the Blob. Learn something new everyday! :thumb:

HIDs are a pet hate of mine, far too bright for oncoming road users. BTW I've driven both and don't see the need for them personally, but thats for another thread :D