ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   SSQV Venting to atmosphere running rich? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1000156-ssqv-venting-to-atmosphere-running-rich.html)

A2k00 21 March 2014 02:25 PM

SSQV Venting to atmosphere running rich?

Firstly I have searched a few threads but none the same spec as my car and dunno if it makes a difference.
I have an SSQV wich vents to atmosphere, would it be better to get the recirculation kit? I have no idea if it was mapped with the SSQV but when you let off throttle under load it does violently pop n bang which inst to everyone's tastes. Would the SSQV also be making it run rich?

Spec:

03 STI

GEMS ECU
TD05 18G
Ported headders
Decat Downpipe
Decat Exhaust
HKS SSQV
Standard airbox with uprated pannel filter

LukeyB 21 March 2014 04:21 PM

Yeah venting to atmosphere with the car mapped to use MAF will cause it to run rich after venting. Recirculating it is what everyone will recommend as its better for the engine. If its just the PSSSSHH you like then recirculating it into an aftermarket CAI will allow you to still get this sound but you will likely loose the pops and bangs.

A2k00 21 March 2014 06:09 PM

What about running no bov? Will replacing it with a blanking plate kill the turbo? I know that standard tubby doesn't like it but what about a TD05 18g?

imprezaworks 21 March 2014 06:47 PM

Im no expert but was allways under the impression if you didnt like the turbo have no dump valve

LukeyB 21 March 2014 08:03 PM

I believe that running no BOV can potentially damage your turbo and/or inter-cooler etc due to excess pressure, I can't imagine this happening unless your running high boost and driving the car aggressively but it certainly is a possibility.
Also, when you run no BOV the excess pressure created when the throttle is closed causes the air to be forced back through the turbo which causes the characteristic chirping sound, this however also forces the turbo turbine to slow down so when you open the throttle again it takes longer to spool back up. I am however no expert so don't quote me on this.

alcazar 22 March 2014 12:39 PM

TD05 will cope with no D/V longer than a standard turbo, but it's not kind to any turbo.

A2k00 23 March 2014 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11385884)
TD05 will cope with no D/V longer than a standard turbo, but it's not kind to any turbo.

Many thanks to all replies, I certainly don't want to do any harm to my turbo so I think I'll stick with running a bov, I will try putting the standard one on and see what the difference is, cheers

FMJ 23 March 2014 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by A2k00 (Post 11387121)
Many thanks to all replies, I certainly don't want to do any harm to my turbo so I think I'll stick with running a bov, I will try putting the standard one on and see what the difference is, cheers

Mine has an SSVQ and was mapped with it fitted by Scooby Clinic. It also pops and bangs and was nothing to worry about. Been fine for years.