ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   The World Cup thread (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/835164-the-world-cup-thread.html)

Funkii Munkii 07 July 2010 08:56 AM

I thought they did 4 years ago ?

Turbo2 07 July 2010 09:08 AM

News to me? :wonder:

I have never seen a card given to a player for this behaviour in any match I've ever watched.

Maybe no-one knows about it! :)

Turbo2 08 July 2010 11:39 AM

Spain v Holland

Let's hope it doesn't go to penalties as these two sides are almost as bad as we are at knocking them in! I'd have to favour Spain if it does though, so I hope NL can win it in normal time. Either way it's good to have a new name on the pot.

alcazar 08 July 2010 11:51 AM

Spain for me: all the Dutch I meet these days are arrogant to a fault. Don't want THEM winning it:(

Apart from Dutch Scooby lover on here;)

Turbo2 08 July 2010 12:29 PM

Fair enough: that old head-case Zidane apparently said that when Spain finally start winning stuff (e.g. Euro 2008), they'll be no stopping them. Maybe he was right.

alcazar 08 July 2010 03:16 PM

They certaqinly restricted the German midfield last night.

Reminded me of France, 1996, and 1998.

Turbo2 12 July 2010 08:51 AM

Arjen Robben

Originally Posted by Turbo2 (Post 9469847)
When are defenders going to learn that they need to stop him cutting in from the wing and firing in a shot? He does it all the time, a bit like Chris Waddle of old: as soon as they found him out, he was dead-meat. Keep him on the wing and see if he can get a cross in.

Phew, at last a team finally did this and kept him out wide. How many times during this tournament did he get down to the right-wing touch-line and get a decent cross in with his right foot? Probably zero. He'll have to change his game for next season now that everyone's worked him out.

The Dutch certainly let themselves down. That Kung-Fu kick by De Jong into Alonso's chest was outrageous. Van Bommel was a disgrace. Robben just kept diving and whining and missing. Sneijder spent more time defending than attacking. Van Persie was anonymous. It would have been a travesty if the Dutch had managed to go on and win on penalties.

Bravo2zero_sps 12 July 2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo2 (Post 9490625)
Van Persie was anonymous

How he gets to be the #1 striker for Holland i'll never know, he's absolutely sh!te for Arsenal and sh!te for Holland. Huntelaar is a far better player and must be wondering how the hell he stayed on the bench all WC.

STi wanna Subaru 12 July 2010 10:33 AM

A very forgettable world cup for me. glad Spain won it though.

Bravo2zero_sps 12 July 2010 10:55 AM

The best game was Uruguay vs Germany as both teams played free flowing attacking football and Uruguay played the best they'd played all tournament. It should teach teams that coming out and playing negative football does not work and that if they were to play how they would normally play then they would get further in the competition. Had Uruguay played that way against the Dutch they would have beaten them in the semi.

DaveBeck 12 July 2010 11:10 AM

Now its over we can find out who is going where and for what over inflated price :D

Surely the assist has put 10 mill on him ;)

Turbo2 12 July 2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DaveBeck (Post 9490752)
Now its over we can find out who is going where and for what over inflated price :D

Surely the assist has put 10 mill on him ;)

And wiped at least 10 million off injury-prone Torres! Liverpool will probably get to keep him now, since I guess the interest from other big mainland European clubs has gone. That only leaves the likes of Man City and Chelsea, but it's a massive gamble for them unless Torres gets back to his best quickly.

Dutch Scooby lover 12 July 2010 01:22 PM

Absolute horrible game by the Dutch.
Glad they lost, as they have been ****e all tournament.

Why the heck did v Marwijk substitute Kuyt for Elia, and not get v Persie out.
He has not played a single good game this tournament, but somehow they were afraid to take him ofrf the pitch.Probably something going on, and I suspect someone will tell the truth about vPersie soon.

Also, the Dutch players and TV were blaming the ref, because he was too strict??
I don't know what match they have seen, the one I saw had the ref being too mild at some times.I think it was a wonder Holland ended regular time with 11, 9 or 8 could have also been.

De Jong should have a purple card,v Bommel tallied up the yellows, but only got one etc.
The players said they did not want to show good football to end up with nothing, but they wanted to win this time, whatever the way they played.
Thank god they failed, because it would have been an outrage if this team (and I wonder how long before the team starts slinging mud)had won it.

Spain was not to good this tournament, and this game was no exception, but ast least they scored when it counted, and Holland did not.

alcazar 12 July 2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo2 (Post 9490807)
And wiped at least 10 million off injury-prone Torres! Liverpool will probably get to keep him now, since I guess the interest from other big mainland European clubs has gone. That only leaves the likes of Man City and Chelsea, but it's a massive gamble for them unless Torres gets back to his best quickly.

My youngest commented that Torres looked either tired, or ill.

If I were his manager I'd be doing blood tests sooner, rather than later. Glandular fever, anyone?

alcazar 12 July 2010 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dutch Scooby lover (Post 9490974)
Absolute horrible game by the Dutch.
Glad they lost, as they have been ****e all tournament.

Why the heck did v Marwijk substitute Kuyt for Elia, and not get v Persie out.
He has not played a single good game this tournament, but somehow they were afraid to take him ofrf the pitch.Probably something going on, and I suspect someone will tell the truth about vPersie soon.

Also, the Dutch players and TV were blaming the ref, because he was too strict??
I don't know what match they have seen, the one I saw had the ref being too mild at some times.I think it was a wonder Holland ended regular time with 11, 9 or 8 could have also been.

De Jong should have a purple card,v Bommel tallied up the yellows, but only got one etc.
The players said they did not want to show good football to end up with nothing, but they wanted to win this time, whatever the way they played.
Thank god they failed, because it would have been an outrage if this team (and I wonder how long before the team starts slinging mud)had won it.

Spain was not to good this tournament, and this game was no exception, but ast least they scored when it counted, and Holland did not.

A very fair call from a Dutchman. :thumb:

Dutch Scooby lover 12 July 2010 04:11 PM

Why deny something that is very obvious, just because the team happens to be from the same country as I am. ;)

I slagged the Brits, Brazil and Italy for woefull playing , so have to do the same if my team sucks as well.

I am just hoping the team will start falling apart, and calling names/blaming the others starts.

NAF 12 July 2010 06:18 PM

In fairness to him Robben was good

Should have scored !

Funkii Munkii 14 July 2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9491223)
A very fair call from a Dutchman. :thumb:

Different story in the Howard Webb thread :lol1:

pauld37 14 July 2010 05:52 PM

At least we moved up a place in the latest FIFA rankings :wonder:

FlightMan 14 July 2010 06:52 PM

Looks like Cesc is on his way to Barca. He's already got the shirt on.

FF to 2.04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ODfbg2YjY

pauld37 14 July 2010 08:49 PM

Torres shows his true colours too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ry-parade.html

FlightMan 15 July 2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by pauld37 (Post 9495414)

World cup parade in MADRID, sporting the colours of the MADRID team he played for. Pretty self explainatory I'd have thought?

But I can see why you'd be confused. :Whatever_

NAF 15 July 2010 01:03 PM

lol :D