ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Running without a DV- benefits other than noise..? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/757268-running-without-a-dv-benefits-other-than-noise.html)

chrisdicko 16 April 2009 06:21 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that. My car use to pop and bang, which mean't too much fuel.....but it hasn't done it once since, so to me isn't throwing as much fuel in!

Stevesbluewrx 16 April 2009 06:24 PM

I'm taking my DV off at the weekend to see how I get on. Will give a full report how I get on lol

Dunx, are you saying that with taking the DV off and blanking it even if you run a recirc your loose the pops and bangs meaning your not burning the fuel as fast? Or am I not thinking straight?

Steve

chrisdicko 16 April 2009 06:27 PM

I think thats how it works.....

Seems to with mine.

mike81 16 April 2009 06:29 PM

didnt lose the pops and bangs when i tried it

jonny_693 16 April 2009 06:37 PM

You dont loose any air with a recirc anyway.

jasonius 16 April 2009 06:41 PM

Chris..:thumb:

Stevesbluewrx 16 April 2009 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by JONNY_693 (Post 8645030)
You dont loose any air with a recirc anyway.

True mate, I didn't make it clear from my point of view.

I've had pops and bangs added into my map by JGM. Now when I removed my VTA i lost the violent pops and bangs but still had them etc.

My car pops and bangs etc now with the Forge recirc on and you can hear the air being forced back through blah blah blah. But will this not confuse the MAF running no DV etc.

Steve

Stevesbluewrx 16 April 2009 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by mike81 (Post 8645014)
didnt lose the pops and bangs when i tried it

That's because your a jock strap. :hjtwofing

Your car sounded good mate I have to admit.

Jack Twist

EddScott 16 April 2009 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx (Post 8645125)
True mate, I didn't make it clear from my point of view.

I've had pops and bangs added into my map by JGM. Now when I removed my VTA i lost the violent pops and bangs but still had them etc.

My car pops and bangs etc now with the Forge recirc on and you can hear the air being forced back through blah blah blah. But will this not confuse the MAF running no DV etc.

Steve

Do you have a forge recirc and an induction kit?

When first started, I can hear air being chopped (comp surge or whatever its called) but once warm I can hear it chuffing away through the K&N.

Anyway, you can change the springs in a forge DV. I've thought for a while to get a spring kit for it and set it up so its closed for all but full boost.

Sure I've said this before?

Stevesbluewrx 16 April 2009 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 8645444)
Do you have a forge recirc and an induction kit?

When first started, I can hear air being chopped (comp surge or whatever its called) but once warm I can hear it chuffing away through the K&N.

Anyway, you can change the springs in a forge DV. I've thought for a while to get a spring kit for it and set it up so its closed for all but full boost.

Sure I've said this before?

Hey mate,

It is the Forge recirc dude. Have the Red Spring in there and a shim at present as the Blue spring couldn't cut the mustard.

I have a Hyperflow CAIK. I think think the reason I cannot hear this as much is due to the positioning of the filter itself as it is way down in the bumper area.
It chatters etc now but I want more,more.......more. :nono::norty:

Steve

jonny_693 17 April 2009 01:09 PM

If I machine a bush with a hole in to fit in the pipe between intercooler and standard dump valve will it delay the opening of the dump valve? A bit like the restrictor pill on the actuator? Could have the best of both worlds then.

bluenose172 17 April 2009 02:36 PM

I'm hopefully going to pick up a blanking plate for the DV this Sunday, I'll do some logging, check the numbers and do some power runs, I'll let you know the results.

jasonius 17 April 2009 07:45 PM

Yea, good one. Post up your findings asap..;)

jonny_693 17 April 2009 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by JONNY_693 (Post 8646642)
If I machine a bush with a hole in to fit in the pipe between intercooler and standard dump valve will it delay the opening of the dump valve? A bit like the restrictor pill on the actuator? Could have the best of both worlds then.

Ignore this, it doesnt work. :D

bluenose172 17 April 2009 10:40 PM

Just to be clear, I'll need to get a couple of bungs for the pipes, what sizes? 32mm for the intake return, what about the smaller hose?

jonny_693 17 April 2009 10:55 PM

The bung I made was 40mm, a real tight fit. 37mm would of been ideal. I am talking about MY97 though.

Stevesbluewrx 18 April 2009 08:03 PM

Have tried this today.
On light driving I couldn't hear much of a difference (partly due to the Team Ice System) throttle response seemed delayed slightly.

No pops on gear change.

On opening her up on the carridgeway and motorway........woooooooooooow the noise was very good. Change up in the gear seems quicker ,holds onto boostbloody well but when lifting off the loud pedla there seems to be a delay as though the boost holds too much.

Still not 100% sure what to think to be honest. I've lost the bangs on gear changes and over the exhaust system I find it hard to hear the noise. The 1st-2nd delay is weird and annoying so could be my driving plus the big turbo?

Will go for a longer drive tomorrow and test it out as that way I can check the MPG too.

Steve

s_inman 22 April 2009 08:40 PM

Just read the whole thread and it sounds intresting. Does removeing the dump valve cause Compressor Surge like in this video YouTube - Tial 50mm Blow-Off Valve on Subaru WRX? I mean before the bov kicks in ;).

jasonius 23 April 2009 08:20 AM

My fuel consumption has settled, in fact taking it easy off boost I returned 25mpg..! So, as is quite often the case with all these things, the 'excess' fuel consumption was down to my 'evaluation process', ie giving it loads of right foot..!:)

Boost is back up to 1.7bar..! So that needs checking, but I'm definitely going to keep it this way.

Interestingly, I haven't noticed this 1st-2nd delay that a lot of people have been experiencing, so I might have to try it out, as I don't tend to give it too much in first. Out of curiosity, what is the theory for this delay in 1-2, when the other changes are so much better..?

chrisdicko 23 April 2009 10:27 AM

I've not noticed anything in 1st to 2nd. I will look out for it today though.

My fuel has gone up from ~200miles/tank, to ~250miles/tank........although this is just from 1 full to empty tank since I put the plate on, so isn't a fair comparison really.

jasonius 23 April 2009 09:28 PM

Just to be sure about these 1st- 2nd 'issues' that people have noticed, are we talking about full bean, WOT up changes or just normal steady gear changes..?

So far I've definitely not noticed any issues with steady up changes..:)

chrisdicko 23 April 2009 09:37 PM

Whats a WOT up change? lol

GT_MAXER 23 April 2009 09:48 PM

Wide open throttle mate!

not sure what to do myself, ive got a dv at the minute but might put the recirc back in...

jasonius 24 April 2009 12:27 PM

Full beans/max revs through the gears..;)

Stevesbluewrx 24 April 2009 01:43 PM

I think the 1st -2nd issue maybe like mine. If you have a bigger turbo etc. I'm running a md321t hence the later spool and possible delay reason?

On full chat even from 5th-6th it sounds bonkers. I have not noticed any different in terms of return of MPG as I was using a re-circ DV.

Only thing I find really annoying is the fact is your giving it semi-heavy foot the rev's hold on way to much at around 1.0bar/1.2bar and it makes it sound like you cannot control the clutch on up shift to 4th (in my case).

Steve

wrc-dave 24 April 2009 05:56 PM

**********UPDATE*********

removed DV from hose going into intercooler and blocked it off, there was also another hose going into the top of the DV from the top of the mainifold,again blocked it up.

results, no running issues like some others, however i must say.........kinda disapointed - not really much chatter ( even when giving it some beans) in lower gears, but nice and present in high gears?!?!

however, when in 1st,2nd and sometimes 3rd, i get a kinda "gush" sound rather then the flutter/chatter..............anybody able to enlighten me?

thanks

STiFreak 24 April 2009 07:41 PM

Are you still running the oe resonator, air box and filter? You would probably have a louder sound if you ran with an induction kit and silicon inlet pipe, but I wouldn't think that would be worth fitting just for the noise.

wrc-dave 24 April 2009 08:54 PM

i have a k&n cone air filter, not the oe box

any ideas on the "gush"? sounds like like its trying to dump all at once, ??

Stevesbluewrx 24 April 2009 09:43 PM

Thats the surge/stall "guuuuuuuush" on changing up yeah bud?

That's the main thing thats loud on mine.

Steve

wrc-dave 24 April 2009 09:44 PM

yh mate, its alomost as if theres a dump valve somewere! lol