ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Disappointing RR results.....NOT!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/281313-disappointing-rr-results-not.html)

harvey 18 December 2003 11:03 PM

Back lunch time for turkey stuffing etc

R19KET 18 December 2003 11:40 PM

Andy,

I agree Sam, there is no 'secret mod' with regard to any turbo specs as far as I'm concerned, just some suppliers would like to think so

Says who Sam ? I've never been one to follow the flock
Couldn't agree more :D

This is a good link to what a ported shroud can do, if I can work out how to post it :rolleyes: Page 71.

http://www.gikturbo.se/turbokompresorer.pdf

It's a shame that the GT series ported shroud covers, won't fit the GT series BB turbo's, but this can be got around.

Mark. Edited to add page no. and yippee, it worked :D

[Edited by R19KET - 12/18/2003 11:43:05 PM]

Sam Elassar 19 December 2003 12:37 AM

Sam, Your right..

I have one on my turbo, in fact I have since I purchased the turbo way back

so what turbo are you using ? what specs? why did you actually need to run one?

Says who Sam ? I've never been one to follow the flock

that is why i said they can vary ;),

agree with you there, no such a thing as a secret tuning method anymore. the knowledge is out there, and it is up to people to find it. end of the day results speak volumes.

sam

Andy.F 19 December 2003 07:32 AM

end of the day results speak volumes
So how long will we have to wait to actually see your 1/4 mile and top speed results Sam ;)
Rolling road print outs are.....well....we don't believe them do we ;)

Andy

Scoty 19 December 2003 07:49 AM

Guys, how much ignition advance woould be used "roughly" here to produce those figures?

EMS 19 December 2003 09:30 AM

Let me guess: 20° midrange to 26° @ 6000?

Mark.

AlanG 19 December 2003 04:17 PM

I´m back in the UK between xmas and New Year if you want to meet up Andy.
I haven`t seen the PS cover yet. Would be interesting to see it.

Alan:cool:

Scoty 19 December 2003 06:58 PM

Cheers Mark,

I've been following Alan's progress over the last year and more, and I now have a very similar spec'ed UK car to Alans. (sorry for the highjack mate :p )
Alan has already said to me my car has the potential to produce v similar results, but when speaking to the guy who is mapping my car tomorrrow, he said he would map optimum AFR and 1.5 degrees of safe advance!!!!
I dont profess to knowing everything, but 1.5 degrees?
Will the car not run sh*te?
I remember Sam mapped it on the Link last year and we ran about 30 degrees?

john banks 19 December 2003 07:21 PM

He probably means he will pull it back 1.5 degrees from the detonation threshold.

Scoty 19 December 2003 07:37 PM

ROTF :D

OK John cheers, told you I dont know much :p

Sam Elassar 20 December 2003 02:36 PM

So how long will we have to wait to actually see your 1/4 mile and top speed results Sam
Rolling road print outs are.....well....we don't believe them do we

Andy

i should have more power than my rolling road print outs ;) so i do agree with you that i don't believe them.

will probably do few events with teh car once the weather is better and i have sorted out my tyre/grip issue ;)

Andy.F 20 December 2003 02:42 PM

Nice one Sam. I'm genuinely keen to see how your car goes now :)

I'll be up in Dundee on 4th Jan if you're free then ? Can have a look at that manifold issue we discussed and you can scare me with a whirl in it :)

Andy

Sam Elassar 20 December 2003 05:52 PM

i am away as of tomorrow and will not be back till the 7th. i am sure we will catch up at some point re that manifold. probably do some ap22 logging as well ;)

AlanG 23 December 2003 04:02 PM

Andy

Did you not get my mail?

Alan :cool:

T-uk 06 January 2004 02:28 PM

alan, took this from the project thread and just wondered if you could clear something up.

I'm happy the way it's running now. And it's not solely because i'm using one of "Andy's turbos"...

you specced a turbo and it took almost two years of wrongly specced units and failures before switching to andy's 20g, which as I understood it, has produced the goods and been reliable to date.

obviously you need the supporting mods to run the power you have regardless of turbo.

what other changes where made to your car between the other suppliers last turbo and the 20g? I am assuming that other performance changes were made between the two, if it is not solely down to finding the correct turbo.

AlanG 06 January 2004 02:45 PM

Hi John
The main change that's been made to the car between the two has been taking boost control away from the Link ECU and using the Apexi with its own solenoid and map sensor.
There may not have been great amounts of difference in ultimate outputs between the turbo's but the way the car responds now "on the road" is quite remarkably different. :D

However, it's unfair to compare the two, as the earlier one didn't have its map optimised when it went on the rollers. It's easy to say things like "ah well because it wasn't optimised there must have been more to come" and "the only reason the cars better now is because of better boost control" is a load of mince.

They are very very similar units with one having benefits over the other and vice versa. It comes down to "pays ya money and makes yer choice".
I've already been open about what i think of them both in the other thread.

Alan :cool:

T-uk 06 January 2004 03:30 PM

thanks alan,

did not know a boost controller had also been added:cool: