ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Does The Asian Tsunami Prove there's no God?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/393518-does-the-asian-tsunami-prove-theres-no-god.html)

TelBoy 13 January 2005 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
I often feel that those who speak so positively against God's existence are searching for an excuse not to have to bother with all that kind of thing.

Les

I can't be bothered to answer all the other "you can't disprove it" nonsense, as we've done it all before, but THIS statement is bollox, with respect, at least for me personally. I'd be mildly insterested to know upon what you base this particular theory.

Leslie 14 January 2005 06:31 PM

From my personal experience of talking to many people who state they are non believers Telboy.

Like Geezer I really don't care what people wish to believe-if you follow your own conscience you won't go far wrong.

I also can't be bothered to attack others who have different beliefs to mine. But I will defend anyone's right to follow whatever beliefs they wish to as long as it does not cause trouble for others, and I do not like to see them denigrated by inference or insulted for that matter as you well know. Especially by those who are not prepared to understand what is at the base of those beliefs.

I don't find it necessary to defend my personal beliefs either, or try to influence others to my way of thinking in that respect.

OllyK,

Would you like to list all the other religions apart from the three that you insist were all I covered? if you really think that is relevant when you read my original post again.

Les

fast bloke 15 January 2005 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie

......I also can't be bothered to attack others who have different beliefs to mine. But I will defend anyone's right to follow whatever beliefs they wish to as long as it does not cause trouble for others.......

If you looked at all the wars over the last 100 years, do you reckon the majority would be about wealth, power or religion?

wez_sti 15 January 2005 04:26 AM

my threads grown since i last looked at it!

I think i know where my definate lack of faith comes from. i'll tell you a short story...

Every Sunday from the age of about 4 i remember being dragged to church for mass. now keeping the Sunday Holy, you'd think my family would be looked upon by a happy god. But no, one day whilst we're sitting through one of the most boring things known to a child (mass) our car is stolen

OUR CAR STOLEN WHILST WE ARE IN CHURCH! THE IRONY!

I see someone who believes in god the same way as someone who tries to convince me that the fridge light doesnt go off when you shut the door, just because you can't prove them wrong, they must be right!

Fastbloke, made some good points, i detect a fellow physicist...(sp)

I'd think it quite likely as do many top scientists (a certain prof hawkins for example) that there is life on other planets through the universe. life on earth had a billion to 1 shot of sucess, but there are billions and billions of other solar systems/planets/stars, so why the hell not!?!

ps. i'd love there to be a God and a heaven, an Eternity of getting it on with Racheal Stevens, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Girls Aloud (not the ginger, though i still 'would') awaits me if it does!

Leslie 15 January 2005 10:47 AM

Fast Bloke,

The fashion is to blame wars on religion, I am well aware of that, but I dont follow that theory.

Religion is often used as an excuse to go to war but the basic reason is more likely to be that so called religious leaders will use the religion to persuade others to fight and to commit terrorist acts for their own selfish motives, which are indeed those of power and eventual wealth.The leaders will twist the basic tenets of that religion which are most likely to state that war is not the best way to go through life. Thats something that I certainly agree with too, War is particularly obscene with its dreadful effects on all involved, and should be avoided if at all possible.

Les

hawkthescoobslayer 15 January 2005 01:14 PM

:nono: unfortunately god is not the ruler of the earth at the moment..........

or so ive been told anyways ;)