ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2.5 WRX - engine? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1009536-2-5-wrx-engine.html)

ScottyPPP 11 August 2014 09:23 PM

Pretty sure my 2.0 has done a ringland. It's puffing like a good un out the oil filler cap....

Carnut 11 August 2014 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyPPP (Post 11489066)
Pretty sure my 2.0 has done a ringland. It's puffing like a good un out the oil filler cap....

shhhhhh...:Suspiciou

ScottyPPP 11 August 2014 10:40 PM

Oh yeah, sorry forgot that never happens to 2.0's.

Except mine hasn't read the script.

SLHawkWagon 11 August 2014 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by SLHawkWagon (Post 11487654)
The way I see it is that an engine is mechanical whichever make/model/version you get..
No matter what you do you will always get some that go wrong and they are the horror stories that people post on places like this..
Most people forget about all the people that have the same car with no problems whatsoever but dont broadcast it..
It will depend on how well a car has been maintained.

I revert to my statement on page one which I believe to be the point bioforger is trying to make,nobody has said they don't go wrong, some go more than others,more often than not it's down to maintenance and how the car has been treated,although some do just go,such is cars I'm afraid..
And going to what xdevil666 said, I don't think Subaru would continue putting that engine in cars if it was costing them a fortune in warranty work, surely it would be more cost effective to revert back to the 2.0 if it was already tried and tested and more reliable or just upgrade the head gaskets and internals of the 2.5??? Mmmmmm????

ditchmyster 12 August 2014 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT (Post 11487562)
In my opinion the 2.5 WRX engine does not suffer the failure rate of the 2.5 STI, the WRX still suffers from the headgasket problem, but at much higher mileage than the STI version.
The 2.5 WRX does have a different design cylinder head combustion chamber to the STI, it seems to give the piston a easier life, as does a slighly lower compression ratio.

I think some people missed this post so just thought i'd quote it.

Makes a lot of sense to me and explains why the WRX tends to fair better than the STI.

I still wouldn't buy one though.:thumb:

urban 12 August 2014 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by XDevil666 (Post 11488974)
Ignore them mate, that Urbans engine didn't even go, he sold it because it had a rattle!

Could have been a billion and one reasons

If the 2.5 was awful there is no way they would still be using that same engine after all these years in multiple countries among multiple cars

Of course it didn't, you clearly know more about my car than I did.
Could you explain perhaps why it used almost 2 litres of oil in about 7000 miles

Out of interest - what exactly do you own right now?
A 2.5 heap of shyte by any change :lol1:

f1_fan 12 August 2014 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11489253)
Of course it didn't, you clearly know more about my car than I did.
Could you explain perhaps why it used almost 2 litres of oil in about 7000 miles

Out of interest - what exactly do you own right now?
A 2.5 heap of shyte by any change :lol1:

Leave him alone urban, don't mock the afflicted. Think he is driving an old blob of some description.

bonesetter 12 August 2014 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.F View Post
The Forrester might be a option if you can't fit the equipment in the hawkeye...
Nah, I can't deal with the looks.

Anyway I am hoping it does all fit... will know very soon

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11488529)
Nah, I can't deal with the looks.

Anyway I am hoping it does all fit... will know very soon :thumb:

Surely (or is it just me?) the Forester STi is better looking than a Volvo??

Carnut 12 August 2014 09:43 AM

Chris,, what car are you thinking of getting now, I know you have a Volvo already but I had a v70 for year's and it was one of the best car's I've owned?

f1_fan 12 August 2014 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 11489303)
Surely (or is it just me?) the Forester STi is better looking than a Volvo??

It's just you :thumb:

f1_fan 12 August 2014 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by chris j t (Post 11489306)
Chris,, what car are you thinking of getting now, I know you have a Volvo already but I had a v70 for year's and it was one of the best car's I've owned?

Might have look at that Spec B that was linked earlier otherwise I don't know. The Volvo is just so dull and I have owned it for 2 years now so want something a bit more engaging for the daily driver, but now my WRX wagon idea is gone I am at a bit of a loss to know where to go.

SLHawkWagon 12 August 2014 01:49 PM

The 2 choices I had were the wrx wagon (which I got in the end) and the A4 avant..I wanted estate,decent performance and 4 wheel drive..not much choice really..
Good luck.

Carnut 12 August 2014 02:11 PM

Going back to Volvo's you could get a v70 R, these have 300bhp and 4wd, there aren't many and most are a not nice shade of green but a black one may be found.

f1_fan 12 August 2014 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SLHawkWagon (Post 11489501)
The 2 choices I had were the wrx wagon (which I got in the end) and the A4 avant..I wanted estate,decent performance and 4 wheel drive..not much choice really..
Good luck.

The 4WD thing doesn't fuss me, my Volvo went up and down the steep hills round here in the winter before last with the winter tyres on no probs! I guess I was just set on the WRX and didn't have a plan B

Originally Posted by chris j t (Post 11489514)
Going back to Volvo's you could get a v70 R, these have 300bhp and 4wd, there aren't many and most are a not nice shade of green but a black one may be found.

May look into them, but my guess is they won't be even close to cheap to run and parts will be expensive.

bioforger 12 August 2014 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11489547)
May look into them, but my guess is they won't be even close to cheap to run and parts will be expensive.

Indeed and they chew up front tyres and pads like you wouldn't believe. Nice sheep in wolfs clothing mind. I would have said the same, looks like the pull of ze krauts is the only way with an audi of some sorts.

The Trooper 1815 12 August 2014 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by SLHawkWagon (Post 11489160)
I revert to my statement on page one which I believe to be the point bioforger is trying to make,nobody has said they don't go wrong, some go more than others,more often than not it's down to maintenance and how the car has been treated,although some do just go,such is cars I'm afraid..
And going to what xdevil666 said, I don't think Subaru would continue putting that engine in cars if it was costing them a fortune in warranty work, surely it would be more cost effective to revert back to the 2.0 if it was already tried and tested and more reliable or just upgrade the head gaskets and internals of the 2.5??? Mmmmmm????

Subaru US have rolled over and taken the hit with the 2.5 engine failures. The UK market is tiny in comparison to the US and rest of the world and a small manufacturer, but IM (Subaru UK) have still got their head up their big fat 'arris over the problem.

It's here because of emissions (2.5), the JDM 2.0 is not restricted in such a way.

f1_fan 12 August 2014 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 11489559)
Indeed and they chew up front tyres and pads like you wouldn't believe. Nice sheep in wolfs clothing mind. I would have said the same, looks like the pull of ze krauts is the only way with an audi of some sorts.

But isn't one krautmobile enough? ;)

bioforger 12 August 2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11489576)

Probably but you said you wanted something practical ;)

Carnut 12 August 2014 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11489576)

Do you still get little old lady's spitting at you in the street for having a German car or is that just the Japanese cars.:wonder:

bioforger 12 August 2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by chris j t (Post 11489590)
Do you still get little old lady's spitting at you in the street for having a German car or is that just the Japanese cars.:wonder:

The gobbing has nothing to do with his choice of car :lol1: :)

f1_fan 12 August 2014 04:22 PM

It's too fast for them to gob at me.... when you lot get into proper performance cars... you'll know what I mean :)

fat-thomas 12 August 2014 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11489604)
It's too fast for them to gob at me.... when you lot get into proper reliable performance cars... you'll know what I mean :)

efa :thumb:

Tail Slider 12 August 2014 04:43 PM

Its funny listening to the 2.5 owners living on the "It won't happen to me" assumption whilst crossing all fingers and toes...lol

fat-thomas 12 August 2014 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tail Slider (Post 11489625)
Its funny listening to the 2.5 owners living on the "It won't happen to me" assumption whilst crossing all fingers and toes...lol

or using the "its not true its just internet rumour" method.

even though in the u.s. subaru have caved in and admitted the engine is sh1t

fat-thomas 12 August 2014 04:53 PM

https://www.mrtperformance.com.au/ab...25l-turbo-cars

http://www.hngn.com/articles/36570/2...ent-models.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...suit/12859865/

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/22/s...xcess-oil-use/

http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_subar...nsumption.html

its fine, honest just internet talk..............strangely enough i couldnt find the same about the 2.0 turbo which is still in production in japan:lol1:

scrappydoo7619 12 August 2014 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 11489054)
"...28 Subarus in 8 years..."

WTF?

Big fud has had far more than.me and your putting this on his threads. Some of us just like the marque and wqnt to achieve more from each car we have. So dont judge pleaee

scooby1929 12 August 2014 08:23 PM

In 2007 I bought the hawk WRX my brother Astra VXR, mum MX5 2.0 and boss in work 530d and all roughly the same mileage.
BMW clutch failure and now swirl flap failure resulting in damage to valves and pistons.
Astra VXR new turbo, new inlet manifold immobilser problems and seized caliper and electric window regulator
MX5 new battery. I now own this
Subaru no issues

joz8968 12 August 2014 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by scrappydoo7619 (Post 11489768)
Big fud has had far more than.me and your putting this on his threads. Some of us just like the marque and wqnt to achieve more from each car we have. So dont judge pleaee

You misunderstand; I'm not judging. :confused:

It was just a throwaway exclamation on simply how many cars owned per year - that's some going!