ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Electric cars (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1052743-electric-cars.html)

JackClark 22 April 2024 05:32 PM

Stop the press! New cars lose money!!

I'm still very happy being paid to put fuel in my milk float. Was buying it new silly, oh yes, just like my new Subaru back in the day.

IdonthaveaScooby 24 April 2024 05:24 PM

Maybe can offset losses with bit coin

ALi-B 25 April 2024 07:44 PM

Serviced my first E -tron today.

Had to drain the coolant leakage reservoirs as part of the schedule.

WTF is that you ask? I asked the same. Well, the motor armature has a hollow shaft used for cooling with slip ring seals to keep coolant out of the motor/gearbox. The reservoir is there to catch any coolant that may weep into the motor casing.

A few ml is ok, but if its found to be full there's a leak . If the reservoir isn't emptied coolant contaminates the motor causing an earth fault and the vehicle to shut down the HV system (equivalent of a RCD tripping) rendering the car immobile. Rectification is to replace the motor. Kerching, turns out E-Trons are bricking quite a lot with this issue. Hope the owners have a good warranty.

Its the modern version of a head gasket failing. But this ain't no scabby old K-series :D

1509joe 25 April 2024 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12137565)
Serviced my first E -tron today.

Had to drain the coolant leakage reservoirs as part of the schedule.

WTF is that you ask? I asked the same. Well, the motor armature has a hollow shaft used for cooling with slip ring seals to keep coolant out of the motor/gearbox. The reservoir is there to catch any coolant that may weep into the motor casing.

A few ml is ok, but if its found to be full there's a leak . If the reservoir isn't emptied coolant contaminates the motor causing an earth fault and the vehicle to shut down the HV system (equivalent of a RCD tripping) rendering the car immobile. Rectification is to replace the motor. Kerching, turns out E-Trons are bricking quite a lot with this issue. Hope the owners have a good warranty.

Its the modern version of a head gasket failing. But this ain't no scabby old K-series :D

:lol1::lol1::lol1:

IdonthaveaScooby 16 May 2024 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 12137540)
Stop the press! New cars lose money!!

I'm still very happy being paid to put fuel in my milk float. Was buying it new silly, oh yes, just like my new Subaru back in the day.

how much less of an 'investment' has it been than the Subaru ??

forgetting about your solar for a minute

Erik72 24 May 2024 11:38 PM

Sooner or later, taxes will be imposed on electric cars, so it's worth considering whether your car is worth exchanging for an electric car.

JackClark 25 May 2024 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by IdonthaveaScooby (Post 12137768)
how much less of an 'investment' has it been than the Subaru ??

forgetting about your solar for a minute

Not sure I get what you mean but the Subaru lost ~£20,000 in my ownership plus an absolute **** ton of petrol. My little milk float didn't cost that much.