ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   At last, Squatters are to be recognised as criminals (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/948239-at-last-squatters-are-to-be-recognised-as-criminals.html)

jonc 03 September 2012 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 10773882)
The actual reality is that we have some of the most effective and transparent laws regarding the recognition and protection of property in the world

Except the law is ineffective when it comes to "Squatter's Rights".

The problem I have with this law is its cynical populism, playing on mainly unfounded fears that the minute people leave their house it will be overrun by squatters.

Undoubtedly this does seem like a populist change in the law, I wouldn't say that the fears are unfounded, some have already highlighted instances reported in the tabloids and would guess many more go unreported.

What this law will do is allow large organisations/companies/housing associations/councils etc leave properties empty and fall into disrepair in effect just banking the land and its increase in asset value, great for me personally tbh, great for the UK PLC?, I am not so sure.

Large organisations/companies/housing associations/councils etc will continue to leave properties empty and in a state of disrepair whether this law is change or not. Whether its right or wrong to evict squatters, the point is that they are occupying property that is not rightfully theirs and should not be allowed to do so. This law is designed to put balance back in favour of the legal owners. It is neither the responsibility of these companies or private owners to house squatters in their property at great cost to the rightful owners and, in some cases, making the owners homeless in the process and causing extensive damage to the property.

Leslie 03 September 2012 11:37 AM

The actual reality is that we have some of the most effective and transparent laws regarding the recognition and protection of property in the world

That is why so many million and billionaires throughout the world put their money/wealth in the UK property market – boosting property prices in the process.

The problem I have with this law is its cynical populism, playing on mainly unfounded fears that the minute people leave their house it will be overrun by squatters.

What this law will do is allow large organisations/companies/housing associations/councils etc leave properties empty and fall into disrepair – in effect just banking the land and its increase in asset value, great for me personally tbh, great for the UK PLC?, I am not so sure.

People have indeed found their property taken over by squatters even when they had left it for a short time.

Is that what you want to see-with your own house for example?

Les

Leslie 03 September 2012 11:38 AM

TDW:

Why can't you answer the question I asked you above?

Les

trails 03 September 2012 04:55 PM

A decent change in legislation that is long overdue in my opinion...for those users that are posting defending squatters; how much actual experience do you have in this area? I have quite a few 'friends' who squat and frankly they are almost all scumbags taking advantage of others. The state of some of the houses is actually mind boggling because they are just not looked after.

Leslie 04 September 2012 02:18 PM

As one might expect of course!

Les