ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   After years of debate we have a winner (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/891979-after-years-of-debate-we-have-a-winner.html)

Leslie 10 June 2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 10082159)
Les,

I do understand what you are saying, the bike has a smaller footprint on the road and is therefore able use more of the road to maintain a straighter line through a series of bends. But as the videos from Autocar shows, a decent car can easily make up the deficit with breaking a lot later into a bend and carry more speed through a bend as a result, granted that the bike will always power out of the bend a lot quicker; car quicker into a bend, bike quicker out of the bends. On this occaision the GTR was 3 seconds quicker around Cadwell Park than the Ducati 1098s which I think you'll agree it is a fickin' fast bike!

That is very interesting. I wouild have expected the bike to have the edge.

I know Cadwell very well, it was one of my favourite tracks. You will know of course that it is a track you have to know very well to get the best lap time and I wonder if it was down to some extent to the individuals.

Les

Leslie 10 June 2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 10082653)
Why is a very fast bike being compared with a slightly quick mid-sized family saloon? Surely a 911 GT2/3 RS or the new McLaren or Nobel would have been a more interesting comparison.

If you are referring to the example I was quoting, I was purely comparing my bike and my car through a particuilar corner to illustrate my reasoning for the bike having an advantage.

My car happens to be capable of pretty fast cornering even if it is not all that fast on the straight bits. Its lesser power is not significant while actually well wound up in the corner and due to the innate advantage I have on my bike as described I can get through the corner significantly more quickly. If you read my posts I expect you might realise that I was not comparing their relative perfomances around a track where the bike would obviously leave the car for dead with its superior straight line speed.

Les

jonc 10 June 2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10083750)
That is very interesting. I wouild have expected the bike to have the edge.

I know Cadwell very well, it was one of my favourite tracks. You will know of course that it is a track you have to know very well to get the best lap time and I wonder if it was down to some extent to the individuals.

Les

The guy riding the Ducati 1098s against a journalist in the GTR is Rob Hoyles, a seasoned racing biker who has raced at Cadwell before! I don't think we can question his abilities!

Leslie 10 June 2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10083676)
This is the most pointless argument ever. :rolleyes:

Why aren't these super road bikes more popular then?

Let me see:

-You get wet when it rains
-You get cold when it snows
-You die when you crash
-You can't have friends come along for the ride and have conversation

Come on, bikes are quick because they don't offer the transport/driving package that the car does. Because of this, of course you can get a 200mph bike for 10k.
As above, this really is a pointless argument.

Are bikers better because they can go faster? :rolleyes:

Get back to class! :D

Your post seems even more pointless. It was just a comparison about the comparative capabilities of cars and bikes around a circuit. No one was trying to undermine your manliness in a car or even the advantages of riding a bike over a car or vice versa. You are tilting at windmills! Either type of machine has its merits of course, and biking is a very enjoyable experience I can assure you.

Les :)

Rob_Impreza99 10 June 2011 04:02 PM

This is how difficult the TT course is to do in an Sti prepared race/road car even with an experienced rally driver at the wheel never mind an F1 car attempting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfdgQ...layer_embedded

Rob_Impreza99 10 June 2011 04:30 PM

Mark Higgins did the course in 19m 34 secs, just to give a comparison thats 2 mins 15 seconds slower than Ian Hutchinson's practice time on a super bike in 2010. Mark Higgins has great knowledge of the isle Of Man with him being born there which would make him one of the best qualified 4 wheel drivers to take on the challenge.

I'm not siding with bikes here as i'm mainly a rally fan, i think his average speed was around 115mph which is still very good given how tough the TT course is.

Gear Head 10 June 2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10083800)
Your post seems even more pointless. It was just a comparison about the comparative capabilities of cars and bikes around a circuit. No one was trying to undermine your manliness in a car or even the advantages of riding a bike over a car or vice versa. You are tilting at windmills! Either type of machine has its merits of course, and biking is a very enjoyable experience I can assure you.

Les :)

Missed the point Les.
My main point is the whole price comparison and bhp/£ debate.
You can't compare a £10,000 superbike (which is top dollar for 2 wheels) to a £25,000 family saloon, hot or not.
Well you can if it makes you feel better I suppose. :thumb:

I am not 'dissing' bikers in anyway, just this age old argument.

fast bloke 11 June 2011 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 10083399)

How is comparing a sportbike to a mini-hatchback a fair performance comparison? A CBR1000RR faster than a Clio 1.4? Well done, talk about stating the bleeding obvious!!

If you have to ask?????????

Just for your own education, google the following

sarcasm
irony
head so far up arse you can't see the sun shining

HTH

fast bloke 11 June 2011 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by CREWJ (Post 10083418)
Umm, did you consider the refuelling in that?

No - I don't usually stop to eat when I am shagging someone on the pillion seat of a bike :confused:

Do you?

jonc 11 June 2011 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by fast bloke (Post 10084678)
If you have to ask?????????

Just for your own education, google the following

sarcasm
irony
head so far up arse you can't see the sun shining

HTH

Can't win the argument? claim sarcasm instead, nice! :lol1:

fast bloke 11 June 2011 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10083979)
Missed the point Les.
You can't compare a £10,000 superbike (which is top dollar for 2 wheels) to a £25,000 family saloon, hot or not.

OK, an F1 car with a 30 million quid budget is faster than any bike will ever be. A 10k road bike is faster than any car we will ever be able to afford. I've owned bikes and scoobs, and 99% of the time, I would take the Scoob, but if I want to go quickly, I take the bike. The debate has been ongoing for over a decade, but imho, this provides the answer. Machines we can afford on roads we can travel.......bike for speed, scoob for comfort.

fast bloke 11 June 2011 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 10084683)
Can't win the argument? claim sarcasm instead, nice! :lol1:

yeah - whatever.

So answer me this. Given a bog standard road and some money that you can produce..... (I'll lend you 30k) what is the quickest way to get down that road?

jonc 11 June 2011 01:06 AM

For me any car as I can't ride a motorbike!

But I'll concede that if you throw cost into the equation then bikes will win, but only on a nice sunny day, but for the rest of the 300 odd inclement days of the year in the UK, I'd put my money on the car.

But I'm sure these examples should give the bikes a good run for £30k on a B road.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2876799.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2629219.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2908912.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2851317.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2780622.htm

fast bloke 11 June 2011 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 10084697)
For me any car as I can't ride a motorbike!

But I'll concede that if you throw cost into the equation then bikes will win, but only on a nice sunny day, but for the rest of the 300 odd inclement days of the year in the UK, I'd put my money on the car.

So you in any car under a million quid v's Michael Dunlop on a stock bike in the rain?

Go and learn to ride a bike. With 2 k and no skill, you can have something that will beat a 100k car on acceleration. You need a bit of practice in the bends, but if you want to have fun, you can't have more than two wheels. If you want comfort and safety, less than 4 wheels isn't an option.

jonc 11 June 2011 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by fast bloke (Post 10084716)
So you in any car under a million quid v's Michael Dunlop on a stock bike in the rain?

Go and learn to ride a bike. With 2 k and no skill, you can have something that will beat a 100k car on acceleration. You need a bit of practice in the bends, but if you want to have fun, you can't have more than two wheels. If you want comfort and safety, less than 4 wheels isn't an option.

A million quid? £30K isn't it!? A driver who is as skill as Dunlop is on a bike, I'd say the driver will be quicker with the selection of cars I pulled from pistonheads.

I do like bikes, I'd love to have a Ducati Streetfighter (who makes these names up!!), but the mother of my children would cut my jacobs off. Her dad used to ride and has a few scrapes and has put her right off and is adamant I would kill myself, probably not too far from the truth!

GC8 11 June 2011 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99 (Post 10079608)
A WRC car would have no chance due to the lack of top speed that someone has already pointed out.

A better comparison would be an F1 car v the equivelant TT seniors bike, the F1 car would probably fall to bits though with all the bumps and jumps.

This topic has been done-to-eath on PH, with SO much rubbish talked (over years). I have only skimmed up to your post, but Id like to add that Grand Prix bikes didnt ever fair well at the Tourist Trophy, when they were eligible - it was always the machines whose roots were road machines, which won.

The list of likely cars mentioned on PH was always comical, but if you watch Tony Ponds TT Challenge DVD, youll soon realise that there isnt a deal further that cars will go: and that theyll probably never equal motorcycles speeds around the island.

Simon

Leslie 11 June 2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10083979)
Missed the point Les.

No I did not miss the point, That should have been apparent from my earlier post where I was talking about similar levels of grip and power
between both machines. Relative costs were not mentioned.

I was not defending either side of the equation, I have raced cars and ridden bikes for many years so I dont have to take sides or would even want to.

If you were to read my original post, I explained that I reckon that a bike should have the edge on a car of similar power/weight ratio and tyre grip round a corner because the bike can take a faster line through the corner thus carrying more speed into it and is able to accelerate out of the corner a bit earlier because of the more advantageous racing lin being used. Do you understand what I mean by that explanation?

I was merely giving the reasoning why the bike should be faster around the track concerned.

You seem to have assumed that I was in some kind of defensive mode which is quite untrue. I have no axe to grind with respect to cars or bikes!
I enjoy driving cars and riding bikes equally. I mentioned the Mini because it does corner well and it was a valid comparison with the bikes through the corners, but obviously not along the straight bits. That was not part of the discussion. Try throwing a Mini into a significant corner and you will understand why. Money does not enter the question.

Les

jonc 11 June 2011 12:05 PM

Just to add more fuel to the fire, a GSXR1000 is beaten by a girl :lol1: Jeez! that bloke on the bike is mental though!! :notworthy How the hell do you get the back end out on a bike?!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmH3uTpJm7Y