ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   How Long Have You Owned Your Scooby? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/813932-how-long-have-you-owned-your-scooby.html)

IainMilford 06 February 2010 06:00 PM

mine has just retired as a daily driver, been at 340 bhp for 18 months and covered 18K in that time, 40 miles a day up and down the motorway, 200 miles a week, occasional trackuse too the car has never ever missed a beat, no relaibility problems whatsoever, regular service/oil change etc runs like a dream, so modded cars can be reliable if done right in the first place and well looked after.

Tim W 06 February 2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 9206539)
And on the question of reliability .... remember that day you came into the club with steam coming out your Radiator top?? ;) Whilst you admired my standard offering on the ramp? I saw you going all starry eyed at the fact that mine was still working properly :lol1: ;)

Errrmmm, that was down to a bleeding issue and the system over pressurising because I had an air lock. Granted on the new engine the first set of head gaskets appeared to have failed at 300 miles, but that was because I had made a schoolboy error and reused a set of gaskets (which had been torqued down but the engine never run on) to save money. BIG mistake! The steam was coming from the split heater matrix where the airlock had been, since replaced...got front CV joints to replace this weekend as they're just starting to click, after 110k miles of abuse ;)

As for the car on the ramp, that was your young'uns MX5, just after you'd lowered the ramp on top of the oil drain pan and made a lovely mess :lol1:

Your one was outside full of garden trimings ;)

chocolate_o_brian 06 February 2010 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ding Dong Silver (Post 9206707)
Had mine 2 weeks now and this is my first. I love it! Im always looking for excuses to go out and take it for a spin, i forget things off the shopping list so i can take it back out (a bit sad i know) lol.

The fuel is crippling me though, spent £45 the 1st weekend i had it and i did about 65 mile! to be fair i am booting it everywhere i go still but im sure that will ware off when all my wages is going on petrol.

Does anyone use the normal **** or is that a big no no?

If V-power is £1.16 a litre, I get your MPG down as 7.8 if what you say above is true? :lol1:

SunnySideUp 06 February 2010 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tim W (Post 9207716)
As for the car on the ramp, that was your young'uns MX5, just after you'd lowered the ramp on top of the oil drain pan and made a lovely mess :lol1:

Your one was outside full of garden trimings ;)

Ha Ha Ha ... you have a good memory! Don't tell everyone that I did that, I have a reputation on here as the Oracle on all things Engineering :lol1:

The reason I slipped up was because of all the steam coming from your Scooby - it blinded me for that crucial moment :D

You have reminded me, my daughters MX5 service is due about now! You up the club doing your CV's this weekend?

Tim W 06 February 2010 11:55 PM

Tomorrow, just swapping the complete front shafts for a spare set I have. Also going to check a few bits out under the car while I have it on the ramp mainly to improve NVH ;)