ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   ACL Surgery (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/754546-acl-surgery.html)

worley 15 December 2009 11:09 PM

Knee braces or knee protection? Did you GP / Consultant recommend these?

I have a lot of experience with damaged knees (my own and skiing buddies) try and do without if possible.

Nik

davyboy 16 December 2009 06:20 AM

My consultant never wants me to ride again.

He said if I ski I should wear a brace, and I have a medical one for this.

But for motocross I've bought a pair of these. I'm still not sure if wearing these would have saved my knee though.

POD MX

davyboy 16 December 2009 06:21 AM

My consultant never wants me to ride again.

He said if I ski I should wear a brace, and I have a medical one for this.

But for motocross I've bought a pair of these. I'm still not sure if wearing these would have saved my knee though.

POD MX

trails 16 December 2009 08:38 AM

as an alternative try CTI knee braces...cracking bit of kit.

Fat Boy 16 December 2009 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by worley (Post 9102387)
Knee braces or knee protection? Did you GP / Consultant recommend these?

I have a lot of experience with damaged knees (my own and skiing buddies) try and do without if possible.

Nik

Can't see the point in not wearing one - it's not like they are supports, they just prevent over extension or whatever. You are just risking further damage to an already compromised joint in pretty much any reasonable fall by going without.

FB (13 knee ops so far and decades of skiing)

Fat Boy 16 December 2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 8834324)
some flesh wounds on here...this is a proper knee reconstruction :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/trails/knee.jpg

Pah! Amateur -I've had two of those and 11 arthroscopies ... :D but agree with everything else.

trails 16 December 2009 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 9102775)
Pah! Amateur -I've had two of those and 11 arthroscopies ... :D but agree with everything else.

thats one pi$$ing competition I'm happy to loose :lol1:

davyboy 08 March 2010 11:31 AM

After 51 weeks of physio and rehab I entered my first race of the MX season.

Not suprisingly I was slow, but I was chuffed to finish and had a good smile on my face.

2nd race I was travelling a bit faster, when coming down a hill I started to brake and then was catupulted straight over the bars...and landed on my head.

I lied there for a while before moving a few parts of my body, and finally my neck....which hurt like hell. Got up and made my way back to the car. Was very sore and people suggested I went to hospital. Had a thourough check over which proved I just had a whip lash type injury rather than and thing more serious. I also mentioend my 'other' knee hurt. On inspection, it had swollen massively! Had an xray and doctor suspects...get ready....ligament damage!!!

However, I'm positive this is not the case, the bruising on my leg is exatly the same shape as my knee brace, and I think it's this that has caused the pain and swelling.

In addition, I had a bruised forehard and need to throw away my 'lucky' helmet!!

Ever feel you are too old for this?

trails 08 March 2010 11:41 AM

$hit luck Davy, that's terrible for your first race, hope it's just not your ACL...if it helps I've torn my meniscus in my good knee messing around in a foam pit.

My head says yes, but my body seems to be saying no more frequently.

SJ_Skyline 08 March 2010 11:44 AM

Dave,

Well done on your first race but that sounds like a whole load of Snazy-style luck :( fingers crossed it isn't too bad.

Ever feel you are too old for this?
Frequently! :)

Fat Boy 08 March 2010 04:31 PM

Good tactics - landing on your head rather than the old glass knee. Keep up the good work ;) :D

r32 08 March 2010 04:46 PM

My daughter had this done, sadly it was NHS, her treatment was shocking, after surgery they left a very tight bandage on for a day and a half, despite her being in agony. Once they took it off (should have been on for just a few hours) and she now suffers with DVT and is on warfarin for life. Plus her knee is very poor and she will limp for life.

Spoon 08 March 2010 09:05 PM

Dave, did you misplace the Leatt? :nono:

davyboy 08 March 2010 09:14 PM

Never been convinced by them.....many top racers (and rubbish ones like me) don't wear them.

However....I might be change my view now. Not being able to move my neck or sleep very well is challenging! Not sure how long this will last.

Skiing in 12 days....

Spoon 08 March 2010 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 9273087)
Never been convinced by them.....many top racers (and rubbish ones like me) don't wear them.

However....I might be change my view now. Not being able to move my neck or sleep very well is challenging! Not sure how long this will last.

Skiing in 12 days....

Ah but I know too many ex-racers that could qualify for Dancing on Wheels that wished they'd worn them before it was too late. Unlike ACL damage you don't get a second chance with spinal cord damage, let alone a third, fourth...

Nobody is ever convinced fully until they get fitted for a wheelchair.

It's your call. :)

davyboy 16 March 2010 10:26 AM

Been to see my consultant today.....first thing he did was drain out all the blood.

I'd been reading up on what it could be and he seemed to agree: Quadriceps contusion (Intermuscular)

Dead Leg (contusion)

After draining the blood, he wrapped it very tightly to stop further bleeding and allow time for the fibres to bond.

He seemed to think easy skiing would be OK.....phew!

davyboy 26 October 2010 08:11 PM

Never give up!

After the ACL, whiplash, knee trauma, ligament damage of thumb.....then another comeback where I did my back in and ended up with sciatica.......I managed to complete 2 race meetings and a practice!

I'm chuffed to bits, a shame the season is over, but glad I got back on.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j.../IMG_0978b.jpg

Myles 26 October 2010 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 9677858)
Never give up!

After the ACL, whiplash, knee trauma, ligament damage of thumb.....then another comeback where I did my back in and ended up with sciatica.......I managed to complete 2 race meetings and a practice!

I'm chuffed to bits, a shame the season is over, but glad I got back on.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j.../IMG_0978b.jpg

Good man!