ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Twinscroll Turbo choice. SC46 billet or LM450 billet? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/935775-twinscroll-turbo-choice-sc46-billet-or-lm450-billet.html)

Shaun 13 May 2012 09:56 PM

Bicco,
5th gear run will potentially give you an enhanced curve upto peak torque.

gussy 13 May 2012 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10622050)
Yes.. Untouched JDM finest!

And as rare as rocking horse ****e/hens back teeth when your after a set :( how you keeping Shaun :)

wrx9181 13 May 2012 10:49 PM

Very nice then Shaun
Need a twin scroll sc46 to post up now as a comparasion .

jura11 13 May 2012 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by wrx9181 (Post 10621753)
V nice on forged 2.1 stroker
How come @ 4 k it's making less on meth than v power
Meth adds pick up usually

If you are looking at 4.5k RPM on V-power 370-380bhp and on V-power and 20% methanol making 420bhp

Jura

wrx9181 13 May 2012 11:25 PM

No looking at 4k makes less on meth than vpower

jura11 13 May 2012 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by wrx9181 (Post 10622239)
No looking at 4k makes less on meth than vpower

Not sure why,but we are happy with the 490bhp at moment,but think will make more with better heads,we are hoping break 500bhp:D

Jura

wrx9181 14 May 2012 06:52 AM

On another day you prob would jura
Such I'd the way with rr and dyno results
2.1 next for me I think

apac 14 May 2012 07:39 AM

Great the ball is rolling on the graphs, twin scroll 2 litre only if people can. Please put up a mod list too if you can be ar$ed.
Here's a link to Scooby Clinics various graphs from their billet thread, but keep in mind that all have been posted by Scooby Clinic themselves and are not independents....
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=929

Also, Can anyone give further information on an earlier question i asked?
Scooby Clinic do an exhaust housing swap on purchase with the OEM fv36/37 when purchasing the SC42 billet twin scroll, but i thought this was the weak link in these turbos towards making more power as the size of the housing restricts the gas flow across the turbine?? I read that DavidAPI had his vf36/37 modified by Owen Developments and got near 400bhp from it. Scooby clinic link...... http://http://www.scoobyclinic.com/products_turbo.htm

Can anyone cast some light on this?

harvey 14 May 2012 08:09 AM

Your torque figure is very impressive Shaun.
I have now gathered all the bits to convert H13 from a GT30 to an SC50 twin scroll so testing on that should not be too long away. This should have been long finished by now but was unfortunately interrupted by my enforced absence.
I have gathered oil sump, pickup, headers, uppipe and downpipe as well as the SC50 sent by Kev.

Shaun 14 May 2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by apac (Post 10622365)
Great the ball is rolling on the graphs, twin scroll 2 litre only if people can. Please put up a mod list too if you can be ar$ed.
Here's a link to Scooby Clinics various graphs from their billet thread, but keep in mind that all have been posted by Scooby Clinic themselves and are not independents....
https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=929

Also, Can anyone give further information on an earlier question i asked?
Scooby Clinic do an exhaust housing swap on purchase with the OEM fv36/37 when purchasing the SC42 billet twin scroll, but i thought this was the weak link in these turbos towards making more power as the size of the housing restricts the gas flow across the turbine?? I read that DavidAPI had his vf36/37 modified by Owen Developments and got near 400bhp from it. Scooby clinic link...... http://http://www.scoobyclinic.com/products_turbo.htm

Can anyone cast some light on this?

Easy answer to that one....

The oem housing is machined out to accept the bigger turbine wheel needed for higher airflow.

I did this back in 2005 with Turbo Dynamics & Litchfields when testing TS.

Shaun 14 May 2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 10622385)
Your torque figure is very impressive Shaun.
I have now gathered all the bits to convert H13 from a GT30 to an SC50 twin scroll so testing on that should not be too long away. This should have been long finished by now but was unfortunately interrupted by my enforced absence.
I have gathered oil sump, pickup, headers, uppipe and downpipe as well as the SC50 sent by Kev.

Thanks Harvey. Look forward to your findings for sure.

Bicco 14 May 2012 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10622057)
Bicco,
5th gear run will potentially give you an enhanced curve upto peak torque.

mmm, I think thoses results maybe should be take with a pinch of salt, there were other issues with the rollers on that day too. I`ve ran one delta dash power run, power was very similar but torque was actually higher and peaked earlier, need to find some time to do some proper runs I can average out. Either way I have a nice printout. :)

Shaun 14 May 2012 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bicco (Post 10622657)
mmm, I think thoses results maybe should be take with a pinch of salt, there were other issues with the rollers on that day too. I`ve ran one delta dash power run, power was very similar but torque was actually higher and peaked earlier, need to find some time to do some proper runs I can average out. Either way I have a nice printout. :)

I really wouldn't bother mate.... the graph is "representative" and looks nice and strong. :)

apac 14 May 2012 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10622401)
Easy answer to that one....

The oem housing is machined out to accept the bigger turbine wheel needed for higher airflow.

I did this back in 2005 with Turbo Dynamics & Litchfields when testing TS.

Does that weaken the exhaust housing in any way? Or is this an accepted way to modify OEM twinscrolls? Or even make completely new turbocharger models?

Shaun 15 May 2012 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by gussy (Post 10622111)
And as rare as rocking horse ****e/hens back teeth when your after a set :( how you keeping Shaun :)

Sorry Gus... missed this.

Everything is good mate... you? You sorted that car yet!? ;)

apac,
I would have thought logically, yes. Integrity must be compromised but I'm not in a position to state that as fact.

Exhaust housings on a number of turbos are renowned to crack.... at least with the ni-resist iron casting process of the LM's, this should be reduced imo.

You pays your money and takes your chances.

apac 15 May 2012 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matt R (Post 10620245)
I have just had an LM420 fitted, PE 800cc injectors, and a Simtek.

Will be mapped on Tuesday!

Any news on this one??? :norty:

M2RTXhawkeye 14 November 2015 01:12 PM

Bumping this one up then start a new thread :D

After reading which one came out on top the lm450 or the sc?

Martin

chris_wrx 14 November 2015 04:50 PM

after buying shaun's car i can say the lm450 does a awesome job so would get my my vote

M2RTXhawkeye 14 November 2015 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by chris_wrx (Post 11760500)
after buying shaun's car i can say the lm450 does a awesome job so would get my my vote

I did speak to Shaun and he was happy with his although I don't want to go fmic so maybe a lm400'would best suit my needs?

May have to see if anyone comes on who's running one of those.. Thanks for your reply mate, how do you find it? Spoool etc perform well?

Martin

chris_wrx 14 November 2015 06:26 PM

spools really fast though its not running meth now. holds boost really strong. did really well round cadwell. im leaving the engine tuning now and concentrating on chassis and brakes and making it look like i want.

not that shaun had done a bad job but making it more ready for track after speaking to him shaun even offered his advice on where he would of gone next

**jay** 14 November 2015 06:30 PM

Lm450 billet on my jdm, fantastic turbo no lag perfect road set up 446bhp with fmic and 800cc injectors mapped on syvecs, even on the original ecu was very happy with the way it drove.

chris_wrx 14 November 2015 06:37 PM

yeah mine is still on standard ecu to how do you find syvecs as a dd waiting for alcatek to launch dbw hopefully soon but if not may have to bite the bullet

**jay** 14 November 2015 06:45 PM

Syvecs made quite a difference ,simon squeezed a bit more power from it due to having better control over boost and fuelling.
Was still very nice before i had the syvecs installed.

chris_wrx 14 November 2015 06:56 PM

how do you guys find the gear ratios on the jdm coming from a uk hatch i do find 6th a pain on cruise on the mway.

**jay** 14 November 2015 07:01 PM

It is a close box but then i come from an ra lol then fitted a jdm 6 speed to that then sold it and bought a jdm blob so im used to it, i quite like the gearing on them.

M2RTXhawkeye 14 November 2015 07:34 PM

Do you guys think the lm450 would be ok without going fmic with maybe an injector change and sticking with the standard ecu? I ask this as I'm not looking for big numbers just want a fast standard looking road car :D

It's quick as it is on the twinscroll set up but more would be fun

Martin

**jay** 14 November 2015 08:04 PM

I had a few maps on mine one being around 380bhp so its a very capable turbo,running a high boost map its about maxed out at 446bhp but could maybe run meth and be around 470bhp but happy with it the way it is.
Martin id still fit one with a tmic and get it mapped and see what the mapper thinks, you will still get a lot out of the lm450 as the newage top mount is fine at over 400bhp

chris_wrx 14 November 2015 11:59 PM

if your worried do they still make the lm420? if you read some of shauns post the spool difference between the lm400 and 450 is negligable in terms of driving only shows on a dyno graph

M2RTXhawkeye 15 November 2015 07:24 AM

Cheers jay, I make take the punt and buy one, it's seems the best way to go and if things need changing down the line I'll adjust to suit.. The main objective would be to keep the fast spool that the 37 gives but more of a punch top end...

Chris I think they do, I checked the website last night the prices arnt cheap but then I suppose I won't find a second hand unit anyway

Martin

crazyspeedfreakz 15 November 2015 10:49 AM

Decent twinscroll aftermarket used turbos seem to be so hard to find don't get me wrong I would like new but prices are steeeep....

What are you going to do martin are u go lm420 or lm400.... I take it u have ruled out a SC turbo ?