ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   95 ron ok to use in 99 ron mapped car? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/931011-95-ron-ok-to-use-in-99-ron-mapped-car.html)

ScoobySteve69 04 April 2012 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by chopperman (Post 10563375)
Are you serious?

Normal unleaded =95ron
Super-unleaded or premium = 97ron
BP ultimate =98 i believe.
Shell v-power and Tesco momentum = 99ron

just about everywhere sells premium unleaded 97ron. Shell probably don't because they sell 99ron.

Ahhh, that`s why then...never go anywhere other than Shell :lol1:

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 10563480)
id hate to be pigeon holed to shell 99, obviously people who do that dont really use it as a DD.
/

Mine is a daily driver and I do hate being "pigeon holed" to v power especially after this recent fcuk up! If this Tesco stuff does the job then like I said, fcuk Shell :thumb:

chocolate_o_brian 04 April 2012 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 10563480)
id hate to be pigeon holed to shell 99, obviously people who do that dont really use it as a DD.

I use 99 in mine and it's my daily driver :)

Talk about being pigeon holed ;)

#68 rb5 04 April 2012 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 10563849)
I use 99 in mine and it's my daily driver :)

Talk about being pigeon holed ;)

Yep. DD for me too and use 99 shell.

addi monster 04 April 2012 08:31 PM

twin maps for me:norty:

Cd09 05 April 2012 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by #68 rb5 (Post 10563905)
Yep. DD for me too and use 99 shell.

3rd That. Me too. Although long trips are planned around Shell garages, but thats not too difficult with google and tom tom's

craigo 05 April 2012 02:05 AM

twin maps for me also... :D

kgt 05 April 2012 01:32 PM

You can just picture the in car conversation during mapping sessions from now on.

"I want massive boost, unreal torque, anti lag, flat foot shift and pops and bangs.....oh, and can I have a duel fuel map please too just in case things get squeaky again, I need to get better mpg ?"

ScoobySteve69 05 April 2012 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by kgt (Post 10564694)
You can just picture the in car conversation during mapping sessions from now on.

"I want massive boost, unreal torque, anti lag, flat foot shift and pops and bangs.....oh, and can I have a duel fuel map please too just in case things get squeaky again, I need to get better mpg ?"

The perfect map :luxhello: :lol1:

yabbadoo4 05 April 2012 04:02 PM

was speaking to a tanker driver who is from the sidc up at RA motorsport yesterday when we were getting mapped and he said that tesco momentum and shell v power come from the same gantry at the refinery the only difference is the additives they put in them.

Cd09 08 April 2012 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 10564821)
was speaking to a tanker driver who is from the sidc up at RA motorsport yesterday when we were getting mapped and he said that tesco momentum and shell v power come from the same gantry at the refinery the only difference is the additives they put in them.

This is true, the refinery will only make the basic fuel spec. En228 is just normal unleaded and I don't remember the Spec number for super unleaded, but that just has a bit more higher octane components in it. More aromatic molecules. The finished product in the case of V power and tesco momentum will no doubt be taken else where for additive mixing. But normal unleaded and super unleaded can come straight out of the refinery.

ALi-B 09 April 2012 12:57 AM

That could be right, its quite probable that Vpower's ingredients has changed in over the years...I've seen some MSDS saying it contains ethanol, when beforehand it didn't.

Momentum has always been 5% Ethanol. (its main octane boosting ingredient). Whereas original Vpower was a blend of Toluene, Xylene and Trimethylbenzene (NO ethanol).

So if Vpower is now Ethanol blended, technically anyone specifically mapped soley to run on "old" vpower should really have another remap to take into account the different oxygenates.

This is why i say map for 97Ron...shell keep faffing about with their fuel blends (first Optimax, then Vpower, now V-power with Ethanol), and there is always an issue with supply (or lack of) when you can't find a nearby Shell petrol station with stock. So IMO its better to map the car so its not so picky.

joz8968 09 April 2012 04:25 PM

Ali, what month/year did Shell start selling V-P with the methanol in?

Was it before September 2011? If so, I'm alright then (as then was when my last V-P remap took place). :D