ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   smartphone battery life question (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/869070-smartphone-battery-life-question.html)

Scooby Soon! 28 March 2011 01:23 PM

I really can't see any reason to upgrade from the Desire, I put launcher PRO on it a few months back and its excellent, the camera is good and the HD recording is good the only thing that could possibly make me upgrade is an amazing camera (Desire camera is ok but not amazing) apart from that it has everything you would ever need....

GazTheHat 29 March 2011 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9958372)
I really can't see any reason to upgrade from the Desire, I put launcher PRO on it a few months back and its excellent, the camera is good and the HD recording is good the only thing that could possibly make me upgrade is an amazing camera (Desire camera is ok but not amazing) apart from that it has everything you would ever need....

Apart from internal storage space. Even if you force Apps2SD like i have, i still get Low storage space warnings. Something they dropped a ball with. I've had my Desire a year now and it's been an awesome phone, there's still nothing i'd change it for. But...my partners contract is up the end of April, she quite fancies my Desire, so i'm looking for a replacement. :D

Gear Head 29 March 2011 12:36 PM

Just ordered my desire! :D
Phone4u offered:
500 mins
3000 txts
500mb
Free HTC Desire
£150 cash back (to pay off old contract

For £30 a month.

Now the countdown begins!

What should I do with the standard orange software when I get the phone?

Scooby Soon! 29 March 2011 02:17 PM

not sure how bad the orange software is but I would make sure you try launcher pro (they have a free version but its only $3 for the full version) it will transform the phone!

NAF 29 March 2011 09:52 PM

Root and stick a custom rom on instead ;)

GazTheHat 30 March 2011 01:40 AM

Welcome to the obsession. I've just left ADW launcher and gone with Go again. Had Launcher Pro for ages, tried Go, then ADW, then back to Go. It's like a viscious circle of phone abuse. Orange are pretty bad for bloatware. So i'd probably root your phone and go custom. Removes the sh!te and also improves battery life. I've yet to do it, i've held out so long, i don't see the point now, and the official 2.3 is on the horizon.

I still can't believe my deal over a year ago, i didn't even know what the phone was, just seemed a good deal and my contract was ending.

300 mins, U/L text, U/L (3gb) data, £90 Desire and £15 p/m. Bless HotUKDeals :D

bigsinky 30 March 2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mslorach (Post 9832369)
Well, after reading some of the battery life threads about the Desire HD I think I might just go for the older Desire.

it's not any better let me tell you. my desire gets about 8 hours out of a charge. it's off after 11pm to 7am and it get charged in the cars on the way home as well. as Ant says if you "root" the phone you might get a rom image that gives you better battery life but it wont be by that much.

NAF 30 March 2011 01:44 PM

My battery life was AWFUL when I first got my phone like you around 8hrs max
Its now rooted and flashed with Gingervillain and a new kernel ( evollet HAVS axi 2.6.35)
Its underclocked also with setCPU to 128 mhz when the screen is off , only draws about 3ma then
Best I've seen after doing all that was just over 2 1/2 days with moderate use
Makes a hell of a difference believe me :)

GazTheHat 30 March 2011 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 9961500)
if you "root" the phone you might get a rom image that gives you better battery life but it wont be by that much.

Apparently it does make a massive difference.

Scooby Soon! 30 March 2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 9961500)
it's not any better let me tell you. my desire gets about 8 hours out of a charge. it's off after 11pm to 7am and it get charged in the cars on the way home as well. as Ant says if you "root" the phone you might get a rom image that gives you better battery life but it wont be by that much.

:o Somethings not right with your phone it will be a crap/rogue program or a setting that is wrong. Mine is unplugged at about 7.30 and plugged in at about 11 and I can not remember the last time it ran flat before I got home.

scoobyverysoon 31 March 2011 10:12 AM

Ive had my galaxy s for 2 weeks now and something I was wondering is why does it use less battery when using your own wifi then using the phones own data (3g)

in when at home over night I just leave it on silent but still connected to my wifi and it hardly goes down but when not on wifi it seems to eat the battery weird

If you turn all data and wifi off it uses like 1% overnight.

ALi-B 31 March 2011 10:42 AM

weak 3G signal?

What doesn't help is many phone tell porkies on signal strength; 50% in reality is usually something like 20%.

bigsinky 31 March 2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by NAF (Post 9961993)
My battery life was AWFUL when I first got my phone like you around 8hrs max
Its now rooted and flashed with Gingervillain and a new kernel ( evollet HAVS axi 2.6.35)
Its underclocked also with setCPU to 128 mhz when the screen is off , only draws about 3ma then
Best I've seen after doing all that was just over 2 1/2 days with moderate use
Makes a hell of a difference believe me :)

is this available for HTC Desire. An easy way to do it please. no faffing about with goldcards and esoteric linux CLI

GazTheHat 31 March 2011 02:58 PM

Unrevoked.

There's plenty of info here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/

NAF 31 March 2011 09:26 PM

Yea I used unrevoked to root mine too

It wasnt sim locked so I didnt have to go down the goldcard route

XDA is the forum I find best for info :)

heres a link Bigsinky and its all available for the Desire

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=628

scoobyverysoon 31 March 2011 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9963580)
weak 3G signal?

What doesn't help is many phone tell porkies on signal strength; 50% in reality is usually something like 20%.

Ah maybe it is a bit naff at my house

WRXBOB 06 April 2011 10:08 AM

Wifey got a Desire HD the other month, and now I've got one through Orange upgrages. Brilliant phone, battery lasts me between 1 and 2 days depending on how long I'm playing angry birds. To be honest, after reading all the threads on battery life, I was expecting it to be far worse than it actually is.
All in, its a cracking phone!