ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   £1500 to fix head gasket (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/863332-1500-to-fix-head-gasket.html)

ALi-B 12 December 2010 10:10 AM

OK enough is enough: One whole page of silly bitching removed - This happening in one thread maybe enough to let slide, but when someone decides to take it onto another totally seperate thread in attempt to degenerate that as well, its obvious someone has an axe to grind, well, they ain't grinding it here anymore.....SO.....

Lets get back to the OP's huge quote for a clutch replacment, shall we? :)

Butty 12 December 2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9761365)
Lets get back to the OP's huge quote for a clutch replacment, shall we? :)

Pay attention at the back there :lol1:

prodriverules 12 December 2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Butty (Post 9761606)
Pay attention at the back there :lol1:

:lol1: I noticed that to

ALi-B 12 December 2010 07:44 PM

Oops :D The other thread this spilled onto was a clutch thread ( honest) :o

Pink_Floyd 12 December 2010 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Gaffer (Post 9758665)
Hi,

just found this thread. :confused:

To do headgaskets correctly its an engine out job, not something you really want to do outside on your nicely block paved drive. Its not worth doing just the one, always do both and we always advise whilst its out, split the block and check out the crank bearings especially if the engine has covered a fair few miles. :thumb:

From 22 years of experience we have found at least an 80% chance that the engine will rattle out its big ends shortly after a top end re-fresh, so whilst its in bits you may as well at least take a look at the bottom end. :D

We charge £700.00 + vat including a skim and new gasket per side, a bottom end, peace of mind re-fresh at this point would only set you back an extra £300.00. + vat

I have to agree with Dave, its very hard being in business these days, although its never been easy, we have HM revenue & customs to consider, business rates, insurance, try 18K per year with 3 monthly checks on all 7 ramps and compressors, add health and safety, risk assessment, planning restrictions and warranties its a wonder we bother at all,

Someone moonlighting on your drive doesnt have to worry about any of the above which is why they can do it cheaper, is it value for money though ? especially when they have no workshop address or land line, cheap is not always best.

Waits for fallout :shtf:

Cheers :D

Kev

So Kev, to clarify, how much in total would it be to replace the head gaskets and do the bottom end refresh including VAT?

Sorry to hijack......

dj219957 12 December 2010 09:08 PM

1000 + vat looking at his reply

stedee 13 December 2010 02:05 AM

lol i know alex a bit, he does work out his van which is pretty well stocked for what he does, hes always busy and obviously being mobile is convenient for customers, first time i met him he was doing work for the local porsche garage.

he is very good btw to the op.