ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   400hp is it worth it? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/846866-400hp-is-it-worth-it.html)

Anger 19 August 2010 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by stealthy55 (Post 9554017)
you need a bigger turbo;)

I have one sat in my garage :D

stealthy55 19 August 2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 9555736)
I have one sat in my garage :D

let us know how it goes:thumb:

andythejock01wrx 19 August 2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 9555350)
Nail. Head. Hit! :thumb:

Corresponds exactly to my 6 years experience with a classic Impreza.

It's really not just a case of getting a car to a certain power level; it has to work as a package (suspension, brakes drivetrain etc) It's that bit that often costs the most money.

As an example, my 340bhp classic overwhelmed the std 4pots easily and felt too baggy on the std suspension.

2.1k for AP 6 pots and about 1k for Eibach Coilovers sorted it, but that's 3k before we even start talking about the costs entailed in upgrading the power reliably.

My advice these days is if you want a 400bhp car (and you don't want to fall out with your bank manager), make sure you start with an STi and even then expect to be bent over! If you're starting from a UK Turbo or WRX, expect to be bent over repeatedly, with no lube!! ;) :D

You play, you pay (sooner or later) as the old saying goes.

Ns04

PS IMHO For a road car, 400bhp is plenty! Forget all boyish notions of having the fastest car around; never gonna happen- there will always be someone quicker; just a question of how much you spend before you realise it! :D

Good day to you P. Hope you are well.

I was looking at getting about 360/390 from an 06 STi (which I haven't bought yet, lol).

Any thoughts as to whether that will be significantly quicker than my 01 WRX with 301/290, bearing in mind the 100kg weight difference, 6 spd & 5 spd boxes, etc?

Andy

johnfelstead 19 August 2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Steve001 (Post 9554775)
just a little reminder of what the 'stock' sti is capable of, just 15 seconds in it at the end and a difference of £200K ish :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnBxKcJV7Wc

if the sti driver had a co-driver he would have been a little quicker ;)

SCOOBY'S........dont you just luv em? :lol1:

A 2008 WRC car driven by Prodrive's test driver was only 3.5s faster than my standard other than an remap MY05 JDM STi over a 55s run, and that's with me on 5 year old road tyres and the WRC on decent fresh rubber. Thats progress for you. ;)

adamjw2 19 August 2010 09:01 PM

:luxhello:I have a Hawkeye 06 which was running 320bhp, now after an extensive
rebuild with everything,
forged pistons the lot,
full hayward-scott decat
paddle clutch and
Andy Forrest remap 450 BHP
and the cost so far is in excess of £8.500 and its still no finnished,
but wow what a difference very:luxhello::luxhello:

Ian 19 August 2010 09:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0-Pa3_7RqI

matt-c 19 August 2010 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by DaOne (Post 9556066)

Hmmm, i like it when speedo's move like rev counters do on normal cars :cool:

jd5217 20 August 2010 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by stealthy55 (Post 9554483)
down south?

yeah, but how far? :Suspiciou

Littleted 20 August 2010 01:27 PM

rent a 90bhp Ford focus for a day then get back in ya scoob, itll feel awsome hehe

harvey 20 August 2010 04:43 PM

I have no wish to dispute anything with anyone but here are some observations.
400 bhp reliably can be achieved on many Subarus but not 2.5s without changing pistons.
STi M/Y 97> forward are better starting points.
STi "550" pink injectors are unlikely to support a genuine 400 bhp but 550cc side feeds in Classics will...just.
Even on an STi 8 TMIC there is a case for moving to an efficient FMIC around 400 bhp, not just for ACT reasons but also pressure drop across the core.
If asked how much one of my TD05 20Gs will do, the answer is 380-390 bhp with all mods done. Several customers come back and report 400+ bhp.
Also remember the TD05-0620G. Around 430-440 bhp like for like.
The air box and pannel filter becomes a constriction at varying power levels. 97-00 probably around 350 bhp. Earlier cars prior to that and later cars seem happy to 400 bhp or beyond.
If you want to go for 400 bhp or whatever, it is not the specific figure that is important and the modifications have to be looked at as a whole to get a joined up result in line with your expectations.
It is amazing how some guys are over the moon with their cars until they go on a rolling road somewhere. Similarly others report 450 bhp from a set of modifications that will not make that figure but it would be cruel to burst their baloon, particularly if you are not directly involved.

Ste RB5138 20 August 2010 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Steve001 (Post 9554775)

Thats a great video!

F1 CJE UK 20 August 2010 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 9557411)
I have no wish to dispute anything with anyone but here are some observations.
400 bhp reliably can be achieved on many Subarus but not 2.5s without changing pistons.
STi M/Y 97> forward are better starting points.
STi "550" pink injectors are unlikely to support a genuine 400 bhp but 550cc side feeds in Classics will...just.
Even on an STi 8 TMIC there is a case for moving to an efficient FMIC around 400 bhp, not just for ACT reasons but also pressure drop across the core.
If asked how much one of my TD05 20Gs will do, the answer is 380-390 bhp with all mods done. Several customers come back and report 400+ bhp.
Also remember the TD05-0620G. Around 430-440 bhp like for like.
The air box and pannel filter becomes a constriction at varying power levels. 97-00 probably around 350 bhp. Earlier cars prior to that and later cars seem happy to 400 bhp or beyond.
If you want to go for 400 bhp or whatever, it is not the specific figure that is important and the modifications have to be looked at as a whole to get a joined up result in line with your expectations.
It is amazing how some guys are over the moon with their cars until they go on a rolling road somewhere. Similarly others report 450 bhp from a set of modifications that will not make that figure but it would be cruel to burst their baloon, particularly if you are not directly involved.

Sounds like some bloody good advice. :thumb:

j999jmp 03 October 2010 08:43 PM

At what point in the power chase should we be thinking of uprating the clutch? I have a 2006 wrx wagon sl ppp 2.5 would you suggest I sell this and get an STI if I plan on going for more power?

alp27 03 October 2010 09:12 PM

A guy by me owns 2 veyrons (one blue one red) so I'm gonna give up trying to get the fastest car in town

Moley 03 October 2010 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by alp27 (Post 9633960)
A guy by me owns 2 veyrons (one blue one red) so I'm gonna give up trying to get the fastest car in town

Random

alp27 03 October 2010 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 9633980)
Random

Lol hey Gary, it was in response to the point that there is always someone with a faster car, no matter how many horses you can get out of it :D

typeRv4 03 October 2010 11:22 PM

Im running a 1997 Sti slightly modified airbox and std filter to approx 440hp with an MD321.

Don't write off the classic airbox...

Moley 04 October 2010 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by alp27 (Post 9634063)
Lol hey Gary, it was in response to the point that there is always someone with a faster car, no matter how many horses you can get out of it :D

Lol, i know exactly what you mean.

I always thought my car was quick, but i had a little play with a 911 turbo a few weeks ago, and he left me for dead.

Bear in min you can get one for £30k (or less) and it makes you wonder why we bother sometimes.

:thumb:

alp27 04 October 2010 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 9634282)
Lol, i know exactly what you mean.

I always thought my car was quick, but i had a little play with a 911 turbo a few weeks ago, and he left me for dead.

Bear in min you can get one for £30k (or less) and it makes you wonder why we bother sometimes.

:thumb:

to be fair i paid 7k for my sti and its the qucikest thing i have ever driven (apart from a 360 at a track day). TBH its more power than i will ever need on a daily basis.. and the awd grip means Im quicker than most when the road gets twisty :D

Moley 04 October 2010 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by alp27 (Post 9634288)
to be fair i paid 7k for my sti and its the qucikest thing i have ever driven (apart from a 360 at a track day). TBH its more power than i will ever need on a daily basis.. and the awd grip means Im quicker than most when the road gets twisty :D

Sorry to go off topic.... but what did you think of the 360?

I went out as a passenger in a 360 CS and wasn't impressed. Expected more.

alp27 04 October 2010 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 9634292)
Sorry to go off topic.... but what did you think of the 360?

I went out as a passenger in a 360 CS and wasn't impressed. Expected more.

the grip was astonishing, clutch was very heavy tho, gearbox wasnt great (less direct than the scoob).. but my main problem with supercars (ferraris, lambos, zondas, etc) is that they are so extreme that u could never really use one to its potential on anything other than a track... the sti on the other hand can be used to close to its potential every day

even on a track the 360 felt so far from the limit it wasnt very entertaining.. IMO... i hear te likes of the R8 are more invoving tho

Moley 04 October 2010 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by alp27 (Post 9634300)
the grip was astonishing, clutch was very heavy tho, gearbox wasnt great (less direct than the scoob).. but my main problem with supercars (ferraris, lambos, zondas, etc) is that they are so extreme that u could never really use one to its potential on anything other than a track... the sti on the other hand can be used to close to its potential every day

even on a track the 360 felt so far from the limit it wasnt very entertaining.. IMO... i hear te likes of the R8 are more invoving tho

I know what you mean about the handling and grip, couldn't fault the 360 CS for that at all, it just didn't have the kick in the back i expected.

I remember Clarkson saying that on normal twisty roads a Ferrari/Lambo wouldn't be able to keep up with an Impreza or Evo.

alp27 04 October 2010 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 9634302)
I know what you mean about the handling and grip, couldn't fault the 360 CS for that at all, it just didn't have the kick in the back i expected.

I remember Clarkson saying that on normal twisty roads a Ferrari/Lambo wouldn't be able to keep up with an Impreza or Evo.

thats my experince... take a motorway and we would get caned by most "supercars" after the first ton.... but in an everyday a or b road scenario I can't see a supercar having the edge....

plus I worry bout my scooby and its worth 7k... imagine how worrieed i would be if i had a 60k 360 or aston parked up outside lol...

p.s. any luck on insurance in an L postcode yet? i wanna get some mods but my insurance wanna add 1k just for a remap and exhaust lol... i live a mile from Steven Gerrard and John parrott for gods sake LOL... surely they dont have this trouble :D

Rob Day 04 October 2010 07:41 PM

Thread re-visited:

So on a 2002 STI Type UK Prodrive - £2k will see somewhere close to 400bhp?

Rob

addison 04 October 2010 08:10 PM

what do you want?
0 to 60?
quarter mile time?
or to get down the road as fast as possible?
6 speed or 5 speed?
i run 340/400 and the roads i drive to be faster i need better brakes/ not sure what would be better just looking now
so first you need to know what you want to achive

Rob Day 04 October 2010 09:34 PM

The car is a newage STI 2002, so its 6 speed. It would be nice to be able to compete in the Scoobyshootout, and with well choosen mods keep myself in the standard category.

How the car performs on the road isnt to much of a concern from me as it wouldnt be a daily runner.

Brembo's with some good pads would surely be up to the job for what i need it for?!!?

Rob Day 19 October 2010 10:06 PM

^^^^ Im sulking..... this never got answered^^^^^^

Gregsti01 19 October 2010 10:20 PM

[QUOTE=UK300 PRODRIVE;9635914]The car is a newage STI 2002, so its 6 speed. It would be nice to be able to compete in the Scoobyshootout, and with well choosen mods keep myself in the standard category.

How the car performs on the road isnt to much of a concern from me as it wouldnt be a daily runner.

Brembo's with some good pads would surely be up to the job for what i need it for?!!?]

Carbotech pads with Godspeed discs alloy hubs,good brakes will allow you higher circuit speeds,it is all about control.My old STI Wagon left everything behind on the straights but could not stop on the bends

AbbasSTI 19 October 2010 10:38 PM

Driving tuition for success at SSO :thumb:, look at John Felstead's(sp?) results.

With 2000 as you mentioned previously, maybe aTD05 18g, meth, 650 injectors, harveys up pipe, decat, 3port, fuel pump, lots of heat wrap and Dynamix re-map?

Rob Day 20 October 2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gregsti01 (Post 9665471)
Carbotech pads with Godspeed discs alloy hubs,good brakes will allow you higher circuit speeds,it is all about control.My old STI Wagon left everything behind on the straights but could not stop on the bends

So even for the Sprints under a minute the brakes discs would be best upgraded?

Ive never driven a car with Brembo's as yet. I purchased a STI 3 weeks ago and had it taken straight to the garage for engine work.

I bought some Brembo's (Discs, calipers, braided hoses, and two sets of pads) that were full recon'd by Godspeed earlier this year that I had intensions of fitting to my UK300, but I decided to sell the car prior to fitting. So I still havent had a scoob with better stopping potential that the standard Subaru 4 pots.