ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Doesn't handle in the snow! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/805718-doesnt-handle-in-the-snow.html)

mr_D 21 December 2009 02:23 PM

NICE MATE. :thumb:

jonny_693 21 December 2009 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555 (Post 9107454)
Just remove the ABS fuse like i have and say goodbye to it's over sensitivity. The worst thing about removing the ABS fuse is having the ABS and brake warning light permanently on. Small price to pay to keep you from not stopping until you're in the middle of a busy road.

I tried this last year but found it very counter productive, the back end was constantly trying to over take the front. This year with better tyres I'm finding the abs much better. This is my third winter now in the scoob and it still never fails to impress me, I have pissed all over people in land rovers and off roaders who clearly have no idea what they are driving. Anyone who says a scooby is sh*te in the snow cant drive for toffee IMO.

ScoobyNoobie 21 December 2009 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by JONNY_693 (Post 9111483)
I tried this last year but found it very counter productive, the back end was constantly trying to over take the front. This year with better tyres I'm finding the abs much better. This is my third winter now in the scoob and it still never fails to impress me, I have pissed all over people in land rovers and off roaders who clearly have no idea what they are driving. Anyone who says a scooby is sh*te in the snow cant drive for toffee IMO.

I was thinking about trying this myself, but wouldn't risk it on the open road.
The abs makes it very difficult to hold the car sideways on the brakes mid Scandinavian flick :lol1:

However next time on track, field or wherever i'll give it a go for sure :D

Cockney Wideboy 21 December 2009 04:07 PM

Anyone who says a scooby is sh*te in the snow cant drive for toffee IMO.

certainly wouldn't say they are ****e...quite the opposite but at the same time they can't defy physics.

Some people (even those that have never driven an impreza) have this impression that you can drive in exactly the same manner as you can in warm dry conditions.

I have had a few people say to me "i wish i drove your car into work this morning as at least i wouldn't be sliding all over the road and would still be able to carry the speed through the corners etc"

My response "what gives you that idea and what about braking distances"

their response "because its got 4WD" :Whatever_

So on the flip side of your comment anyone that thinks 4WD makes their car 100% safe and drivable in the snow can't drive either:p

This isn't directed at anybody on here as i'm sure most of us have owned Impreza's long enough to know how they behave in all weather conditions:)

cavender 21 December 2009 08:51 PM

This time last year I owned a Ford Puma - and it was seeing a hawkeye Impreza driven by a tiny woman in the snow that I decided it was time to own one (the car, not the woman).

Drove past lots of stranded cars, and a stranded bus today in my WRX; greatest car in the world; but I take the point about AWD aking no difference with braking! It does give a sense of over confidence, so take it easy with braking distances.

scoobiewrx555 21 December 2009 10:05 PM

That's half the fun in the snow and ice, keeping it straight on the brakes with no ABS, but i can still stop in a shorter distance than with ABS switched on.

The slightest hint of a slip and the ABS kicks in and keeps going till you eventually stop...or you hit something!! ABS can be counter productive. I know chaps that sprint Subaru's and in the wet they switch off their ABS via the fuse or remove the ABS altogether because it's such a pain. :D

the_big_1 21 December 2009 10:29 PM

lol by the sounds of it, I am in the only part of the UK that hasnt had any snow, not a drop lol

ScoobTypeR 21 December 2009 10:43 PM

Lol...

Everythings just ice now :O

the_big_1 21 December 2009 10:45 PM

lol got none of that either, its like the twilight zone here lol

barnes_2k7 21 December 2009 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555 (Post 9107454)
Just remove the ABS fuse like i have and say goodbye to it's over sensitivity. The worst thing about removing the ABS fuse is having the ABS and brake warning light permanently on. Small price to pay to keep you from not stopping until you're in the middle of a busy road.

i like this alot, will have to do it to my bmw. HATE HATE HATE abs.

gurdas 21 December 2009 11:33 PM

On a MY05 STi what is the best position to have the DCCD?

his-n-her-scoobs 21 December 2009 11:45 PM

Ken Block doesn't seem to have any trouble with his Scooby in the snow!!!!!

YouTube - Subaru Impreza in the snow

Wonder if he removed the ABS fuse LOL

:)

Cd09 22 December 2009 02:07 AM

We havnt had any snow here in west wales yet.. there is ice however, and i havnt driven my car in any of these conditions yet. Im a bit worried. So from what ive gatherd just take it easy on the controls? Any other tips for a AWD ice/snow newbie?

bmfcrash 22 December 2009 06:27 AM

Take it steady, and Enjoy yourself :)

ScoobyNoobie 22 December 2009 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by gurdas (Post 9112429)
On a MY05 STi what is the best position to have the DCCD?

This is the car i have, and i just did 140miles from east to west ireland at 5am this monday morning on roads with 2-3 inches of snow across the width of the road in places and had the diff in auto the whole way.

I tried playing with it a bit, but ended up putting it straight back into auto.
If your trying a hill climb i would lock it manually though.

Must say though, i much rathered being in the scooby this year than the 120d beemer last year! lol

arumdevil 22 December 2009 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hellbound (Post 9111411)
How do the AWD set ups in the Legacy Outback and Forester compare to the one in the Impreza?

As far as I understand it, all subarus with AWD have a centre LSD. The Foresters, Outbacks and turbo subarus all have a rear LSD in addition but the non turbo models of impreza/legacy have open rear diff.

So the foresters, outbacks and turbo imps/leggys will be the best in snow.

mr_D 22 December 2009 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cd09 (Post 9112491)
We havnt had any snow here in west wales yet.. there is ice however, and i havnt driven my car in any of these conditions yet. Im a bit worried. So from what ive gatherd just take it easy on the controls? Any other tips for a AWD ice/snow newbie?

its easy mate. just take your time and dont open it up. just put your sensible head on and the helium right foot. :thumb:

motorola222 22 December 2009 10:32 AM

All awd will do is improve grip and allow u to club hills whenthe 2wd cars can't. And even then the tyres make the difference it doesn't matter what system u have if ur tyres can grip it don't matter. Awd will giv u an advantage but it won't make it a tank and it won't make u invincible. Like now slow and stealthy keeps u healthy.

motorola222 22 December 2009 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by arumdevil (Post 9112650)
As far as I understand it, all subarus with AWD have a centre LSD. The Foresters, Outbacks and turbo subarus all have a rear LSD in addition but the non turbo models of impreza/legacy have open rear diff.

This is for the newage right. not the classics. I always believed us classic turbo owners had open front and rear diffs and LSD centres.

scoobiewrx555 22 December 2009 11:56 AM

A RWD car with an LSD will always be much better than one without. What makes the real difference in the snow is the LSD. Even if you have the knobbliest tyres in town an open diff won't be much use.

My WRX has an open diff up front so it's no better there than a normal FWD car. It's the rears that are making all the traction due to the LSD. I know a chap that had an old Mk1 1600 Ford Capri. He lived on a farm. He lock welded the rear diff and stuck a couple of great big knobbly tyres on the back. You should have seen this thing plug mud, snow, allsorts of different terrain and never get stuck.

Those with the biggest advantage are the newage STi owners with an LSD back and front. They have the best traction in this ****ty weather hence why the STi in that vid could pull that lorry off the ice. On a WRX the front end gives some assitance and i'd rather have it than not but an STi is the way to go there.

arumdevil 22 December 2009 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by motorola222 (Post 9112765)
This is for the newage right. not the classics. I always believed us classic turbo owners had open front and rear diffs and LSD centres.

No I'm talking classics too, buy my knowledge is biased toward the legacy so the classic imprezas may be slightly different, but the turbo legacys have had LSDs centre & rear since '92 with only the front diff open.

motorola222 22 December 2009 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by arumdevil (Post 9112650)

Originally Posted by arumdevil (Post 9113501)
No I'm talking classics too, buy my knowledge is biased toward the legacy so the classic imprezas may be slightly different, but the turbo legacys have had LSDs centre & rear since '92 with only the front diff open.

Ah be intressting to have it confirmed tho.

scooby546 22 December 2009 09:20 PM

Just had a lot of fun in the snow up my way (Ayrshire) - mostly 2-3 inches of snow with a fair bit of ice around as well. Had to do a few house calls tonight, and it was really good fun driving round other stuck cars :) Saw a couple of abandoned porsche caymens (well, either abandoned or parked really carelessly!), traffic in town centre was gridlocked though, so took ages to get from A to B but traction wasn't an issue :thumb:

As said above though, its still slippery, and AWD does nothing for braking distances. I'm taking it really easy, that smug feeling you get driving up a hill past everyone soon goes away if you slide off the road at the bottom of the next hill! Don't want to remove ABS fuse either, as it might invalidate insurance, not sure.

Now, on the LSD issue... mine's a V4 sti so as far as I know, it has the usual centre viscous LSD, and also has open front and probably viscous LSD rear, would that be right?

Also, worth sticking a few bits n pieces in the boot this weather - tow rope, blankets, water etc. and take it easy out there. Handy tip if you do get stuck - you can use your floor mats for some extra grip to get you out of a rut :thumb:

MaDaSS 22 December 2009 09:26 PM

Well i've had my 03 WRX since it was new and i admit, i am sh1te in the snow. LOL.
I went out the bottom of my road into the main road at around 10 mph the first morning after the snow. Luckily i misses the transit van as it went passed and got a 'grip' once i hit the cleared main road. My biggest annoyance was the fu**ing ABS that did nothing to stop my car. Of course it was my fault and i accept my crapness!

motorola222 24 December 2009 06:54 PM

Well I've just been in a little chef car park that hasn't been gritted it's a slab of ice no Tarmac anywhere and I was the only one that didn't need help climbing the hill to get out I'm on summer Tyres too veedistien altrac sessanta seem to be brilliant on snow.

arumdevil 24 December 2009 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by motorola222 (Post 9116705)
Well I've just been in a little chef car park that hasn't been gritted it's a slab of ice no Tarmac anywhere and I was the only one that didn't need help climbing the hill to get out I'm on summer Tyres too veedistien altrac sessanta seem to be brilliant on snow.

. , . .

motorola222 24 December 2009 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by arumdevil (Post 9116716)
. , . .

Cat got tongue

Richy P1984 25 December 2009 12:30 AM

Guys,

New Scooby owner here, had the car for just over a week now and loving it. Havent been able to really see what its like due to the weather.

Quick question, just how sharp should the breaks be, and does the abs work well in the dry?

TonyBurns 25 December 2009 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Richy P1984 (Post 9117113)
Guys,

New Scooby owner here, had the car for just over a week now and loving it. Havent been able to really see what its like due to the weather.

Quick question, just how sharp should the breaks be, and does the abs work well in the dry?

Depends on what brakes your car has, 2 pots suck, 4 pots suck, brembos aint bad but need a different pad.
ABS can be a little over sensitive sometimes though :(

Tony:)