ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Is it time for the Death Penalty ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/649182-is-it-time-for-the-death-penalty.html)

Nido 23 November 2007 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes (Post 7432661)
It wouldn't. Plenty of states in the US have the death penalty for murder, I don't think their homicide stats are anything to envy.

A country where everybody has the right to arms is always going to have a high murder rate!

Prasius 23 November 2007 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nido (Post 7432702)
A country where everybody has the right to arms is always going to have a high murder rate!

Not strictly true - there are countries with far higher firearms per head of population than the US, but have far lower gun crime rates. The Swiss, Finland, Canada just to name three.

If your a psycho killer, your going to be a psycho killer with whatever you can lay your hands on. Your not going to say.."oooh, I want to kill someone but I can't buy a gun.. so.. maybe I'll take up knitting instead.."

Nido 23 November 2007 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Prasius (Post 7432711)
Not strictly true - there are countries with far higher firearms per head of population than the US, but have far lower gun crime rates. The Swiss, Finland, Canada just to name three.

Yes, I just didn't want to bring the "average IQ" vs "firearms per head" of population into the equation as well, for fear of muddying the debate ;) :D

davegtt 23 November 2007 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by SetoN
Death penalty VS Life in prison (25 years min)

7 years at $76,000 = $532,000 / 25 years at $36,000 = $900,000

Death penalty wins.

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7429476)
If you assume "life" means 25 years. - Which it doesn't. It usually means around 15 years, if that. Hence death row is more expensive.

I dont know who taught you Math Pete but 15 or 25 years, Death Penalty still wins..... OK not by much but I suggest you invest in a calculator ;)

New_scooby_04 23 November 2007 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dracoro (Post 7432633)
I think the argument would disappear if life imprisonment really did mean life imprisonment, not a pathetic 15 years or whatever.

Agreed, I think the perception that prisons are like holiday camps is a bit OTT, but we do need an urgent review of sentencing for violent crime, particularly Murder, in this country.

At the moment, IMHO the criminal justice system in the UK leans too far in the direction of the offender.

Ns04

New_scooby_04 23 November 2007 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7432732)
I dont know who taught you Math Pete but 15 or 25 years, Death Penalty still wins..... OK not by much but I suggest you invest in a calculator ;)

He forgot to "carry the one"!! ;) :D

Abdabz 23 November 2007 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^ (Post 7429289)
A good example of why not: Stefan Kiszko

Exactly, there endeth the lesson :smug:

Luminous 23 November 2007 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 7429276)
How can any sane person want the death penalty, when the police, CPS the judges, and the whole government are as incompetent, and untrustworthy as they are now?

If you're inside, and it turns out they fitted you up, you get out with an apology and compo.

If you're hanged.............:(

Alcazar

Nope, not always. There were several cases where mothers had been found guilty of murdering their children. One of the reasons they were found guilty was the weight of an expert's opinion. Even though this expert was being employed by the crown, the crown was not liable for that expert's failed testimony.

Therefore, when these people were set free, no compo.

VanJesin 24 November 2007 01:01 AM

I think hard labour, chain gang style. Get serious offenders working, breaking rocks or something equally grim.

If they refuse to work dish them a couple of shots of tazer and off to "The Hole" for 72 hours in pitch black, no food, no toilet, no bed.

In my opinion these people give up their human rights when they commit the crimes discussed above.

scarey 24 November 2007 01:43 AM

didnt most of the country get all uppity a couple of weeks ago when the Saudis were here and their human rights record was ripped apart because they execute criminals?

so if we start executing criminals what is the difference?

and although they execute for crimes that we preceive as more minor an execution is still an execution.

Prasius 24 November 2007 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by scarey (Post 7434020)
didnt most of the country get all uppity a couple of weeks ago when the Saudis were here and their human rights record was ripped apart because they execute criminals?

Most of the country? The BBC, Channel 4, a few of the more left leaning newspapers prehaps....

Leslie 24 November 2007 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 7432420)
The death penalty is IMMORAL, and those in favour should question their own humanity!

How immoral is murder then?

The State has the right of the sword.

Les