ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   M and S food (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/578694-m-and-s-food.html)

pslewis 31 January 2007 12:48 PM

Not read the whole thread - but you may wish to know that LIDLs do M&S Quality Food at a cheaper price than TESCO!!!

:thumb:

J4CKO 31 January 2007 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555 (Post 6610336)
Just been over to France and the quality of food they have in their supermarkets put the crap we have on offer to shame. Cheaper too.

Agreed, proper cheese for a start.

j4ckos mate 31 January 2007 12:59 PM

i have confession i go to netto and lidl , the netto is a bity trampy,

my wifes only works part time so we do shop there from time to time.

anticipating all the thread calling me a "paraffin lamp"

i have a lot of experience in food (not eating j4cko) but in exporting
take cornflakes for an example

tesco, nabiso, waitorse, morrisons, netto , lidl, sansburys and all the other supermartkets, do you think they each have their own factory ? the country would be littered with factories. although i except fully the cheaper ones use cheaper ingredients

Matteeboy 31 January 2007 12:59 PM

French supermarkets are MUCH better at sourcing locally.

Down here in Cornwall, stuff gets dug up, sent to distribution centres in Bristol THEN SENT BACK DOWN AGAIN!!!!

The French just seem to realise that a tomato does not need to be glowing red and perfectly round to be good.

In fact UK supermarkets often have spec sheets and for some stuff flavour isn't even on them!

If anyone shops in certain places to look good (clearly some here do) then I find them even less interesting than watching an oak tree grow from an acorn.

TelBoy 31 January 2007 01:04 PM

Which people "clearly" do that, Matteeboy? List them please. :)

TelBoy 31 January 2007 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 6610903)
Agreed, proper cheese for a start.

And for an end, too. Am i missing something? We ARE comparing to M&S aren't we, not Netto?? :Suspiciou

davyboy 31 January 2007 01:05 PM

Yeah, I need to get some medallion steaks for tomorrow.....where can I do this and look best :D

KiwiGTI 31 January 2007 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 6610922)
French supermarkets are MUCH better at sourcing locally.

Down here in Cornwall, stuff gets dug up, sent to distribution centres in Bristol THEN SENT BACK DOWN AGAIN!!!!

The French just seem to realise that a tomato does not need to be glowing red and perfectly round to be good.

In fact UK supermarkets often have spec sheets and for some stuff flavour isn't even on them!

If anyone shops in certain places to look good (clearly some here do) then I find them even less interesting than watching an oak tree grow from an acorn.

It's a pity that Calais is a bit too far for weekly trips - the big Carrefour in there is much better than English supermarkets. A lot more emphasis on quality food and less processed stuff.

Drunken Bungle Whore 31 January 2007 01:37 PM

M&S tastes fine - but I find the range a bit limited. Don't really go in there all that often. I'm afraid I'm a Waitrose girl if I have to go to a supermarket - but I my local farm shop does all the fresh stuff I need - plus loads of different ready meals. :thumb:

davyboy 31 January 2007 01:45 PM

Don't get me started on farm shops!

Thats beyond pretentous (sp)!

Chip 31 January 2007 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 6610358)
better than ANYTHING i've ever experienced on the continent

Tel,
I agree both Marks and Waitrose are very good compared to Chavsda, Tesco etc but you cannot be serious that they are both better than a good french supermarket where nearly all the produce is sourced locally, is fresh, and better value.

Very few ready meals,frozen or processed foods either, unless of course it is these that you are comparing.

Chip

Matteeboy 31 January 2007 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 6610940)
Which people "clearly" do that, Matteeboy? List them please. :)

About a third of the posts on here - Chavsda for a start.

J4CKO 31 January 2007 06:08 PM

Mate, I have shopped at Aldi, Lidl and Netto, ok some things are ok but for a Friday night treat, M and S is the one, not the aforementioned, did it for years when skint, f*ckin Iceland and Aldi in Stretford, the kids didnt see an English labelled product until they were five, honest they used to ask for a glass of Apfelsaft !

Also, the shopping experience at the Stretford Aldi wasnt the most pleasant, the Handforth Dean M and S isnt either, but for completely different reasons.

TopBanana 31 January 2007 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 6611068)
Don't get me started on farm shops!

Thats beyond pretentous (sp)!

I don't get it. Why?

Flatcapdriver 31 January 2007 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 6611611)
Tel,
I agree both Marks and Waitrose are very good compared to Chavsda, Tesco etc but you cannot be serious that they are both better than a good french supermarket where nearly all the produce is sourced locally, is fresh, and better value.

Very few ready meals,frozen or processed foods either, unless of course it is these that you are comparing.

Chip

Where's this idea that French supermarkets source their produce locally? Is this another Scoobyism?

davyboy 31 January 2007 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 6611792)
I don't get it. Why?

Obviously I'm joking but if M&S shoppers are pretentous, what does that make farm shop people.

"Oh dearest, we must puts ones green hunter wellys on if you are going down to the farm shop.....you don't want to stand out."

j4ckos mate 31 January 2007 07:04 PM

i try not to go to the biggest supoermarket if i can help it , they have far too much power in my opinion

Chip 31 January 2007 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver (Post 6611811)
Where's this idea that French supermarkets source their produce locally? Is this another Scoobyism?

Fresh local food is the reason people prefer to live in FRANCE. French hyper-markets include local produce and vast arrays of delicacies. British supermarkets are a complete joke with tinned cans everywhere and a sparse selection of Bread Wine and Cheese. Try eating a tomato in the south of France...an experience re-awakening disused taste buds!

Chip

scoobynutta555 01 February 2007 09:33 AM

I went to the Carrefour in Calais too, loads of quality food to choose from, really was an eye opener. There was masses of different cheeses. Cheapest wine I could find for a laugh was 71 cents I think, haven't opened it yet but expect it to be very poor.

Went a bit wild and brought back a quiche lorraine :D, was delicious, just like a decent home cooked one. Think I spent more on food than I did on booze, the pastries were excellent.

Only thing I didn't like about the place was the checkouts. We queued for about 15 mins then were told we had to have a loyalty card and had to join a common queue, another 20 min wait.

TopBanana 01 February 2007 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555 (Post 6613405)
Cheapest wine I could find for a laugh was 71 cents I think, haven't opened it yet but expect it to be very poor.

It'll be fine for coq au vin though.

Haw he haw http://www.intercot.com/discussion/i...lies/shrug.gif <<< gallic shrug

petey 01 February 2007 11:00 AM

M&S food is the best! i'd love to be able to afford to go there for my weekly shop!...
i only really get the odd sandwhich there and stuff....

i did have the other day a milkshake that was allbeit fat'ning as hell but omg!!! it was a clotted cream thingy divine!..

Flatcapdriver 01 February 2007 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 6611901)
Fresh local food is the reason people prefer to live in FRANCE. French hyper-markets include local produce and vast arrays of delicacies. British supermarkets are a complete joke with tinned cans everywhere and a sparse selection of Bread Wine and Cheese. Try eating a tomato in the south of France...an experience re-awakening disused taste buds!

Chip

Chip, with respect, I haven't seen any reference to hypermarkets in France pursuing a policy of sourcing locally grown produce and I suspect they are just as keen to base their stocking along similar lines to the UK, logistically speaking.

However, I do agree that produce such as tomatoes tastes that much better but you have to remember that the majority of fruit such as that is grown either there or in Spain where its far more cost effective to produce given the weather. For comparable product in the UK, the growing costs are three times more expensive and people don't like paying that much which is why we are losing so many glasshouses in the UK because they all have to be heated, adding considerably to costs.

Try going into Waitrose for wine, bread and cheese which although considerably smaller than most UK/French supermarkets has an excellent selection of these products on a pro-rata basis.

The thing is, you can't have it both ways. On one hand, you've got people daft enough to slate those who use farm shops, thus supporting local farmers and getting higher quality produce and then they complain because the likes of Tesco are encouraged (by their footfall/sales) to screw their supply chain into the ground supplying homogenised fruit/vegetables that look good but taste awful.

To coin a pun, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Drunken Bungle Whore 01 February 2007 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 6611889)
Obviously I'm joking but if M&S shoppers are pretentous, what does that make farm shop people.

"Oh dearest, we must puts ones green hunter wellys on if you are going down to the farm shop.....you don't want to stand out."

Oi! My wellies are pink with purple spots! :D

TBH I go there because the food tastes so much better than any high street store - even M&S!

And anyone who know's me would vouch for the fact that I really couldn't give a bugger about what other people may think about my shopping habits :D

TopBanana 02 February 2007 08:19 PM

M & S food?
YouTube - This isn't just any food advert...