ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Is swimming compulsory in secondary school? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/542200-is-swimming-compulsory-in-secondary-school.html)

scoob_babe 08 September 2006 08:00 AM

If he is scared to swim and won't take his feet off the bottom of the pool I'd say it would probably be unsafe to him to take part in swimming at school. He's going to need one to one supervision - how many teachers / lifeguards are present? Swimming isn't like a maths lesson - you can't just leave them to get on with it!!!

DCI Gene Hunt 08 September 2006 08:05 AM

And why should a stroppy ginger get his own private lifeguard?

Bet he'd feckin start swimming if somebody dropped a stingray in the pool......;)

CrisPDuk 08 September 2006 08:06 AM

Trust me, give him another year or so and he'll be going to the local pool with his mates. The reason - Girls, in swimsuits:norty:

We had the same problem with my stepson, he could swim, just, but wasn't exactly a big fan of it.

This last summer we've hardly seen him because he's been off with his mates at every opportunity, mostly swimming. Peer pressure always succeeds in this sort of case:thumb:

We also have the Ginga problem with my stepson, but that's a whole different can of worms;)

scoob_babe 08 September 2006 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
And why should a stroppy ginger get his own private lifeguard?

Bet he'd feckin start swimming if somebody dropped a stingray in the pool......;)

I didn't say that he should be provided with 1 to 1 supervision, it would be an extra cost which Joan could point out to the school as it being too expensive to force him to swim ;)

I never had the misfortune of trying to teach a child to swim who didn't want to!

DCI Gene Hunt 08 September 2006 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
I didn't say that he should be provided with 1 to 1 supervision, it would be an extra cost which Joan could point out to the school as it being too expensive to force him to swim ;)

That's the problem.... parents are too quick to pull the plug and go into "oh my poor little lambchops... if you don't want to do it mummy will speak to the school" mode!

He needs forcing and sounds a complete mummy's boy.......

I never had the misfortune of trying to teach a child to swim who didn't want to!
It's like training a ginger puppy.... you don't stop toilet training because the pup doesn't like getting his face rubbed in p1ss....... :rolleyes:

Throw him in..... make him go..... and stop being so feckin useless.... ;)

Michaela 08 September 2006 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by JoanUK300
He's not a nerdy ginger....he is good at loads of other things...mountain biking, go-karting, tennis, cricket and skateboarding....he is quite sporty actually, compared to some others in our road.....he just hates the swimming or the water....

.....anything constructive would be good as we have tried most things that most have already mentioned....

Thanks...

Joan

Have you tried private lessons? 1 to 1 learning? Can be a great way for them to pick it up quickly and build there confidence in the water.

lpski1 08 September 2006 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Michaela
Have you tried private lessons? 1 to 1 learning? Can be a great way for them to pick it up quickly and build there confidence in the water.

Have you read all 4 pages :wonder:

Nido 08 September 2006 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by lpski1

Or even all three ;) :D

lpski1 08 September 2006 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nido
Or even all three ;) :D

Listen Newb, its 20 posts per page not 30 or any other factor :razz: :)

lightning101 08 September 2006 08:44 AM

20 per page you mong :mad:

Nido 08 September 2006 08:48 AM

Listen Newb, its 20 posts per page not 30 or any other factor :razz: :)

Eh? How come I have 30 then? Can you set that in personal options? Why would you want to :wonder:

PS I'm not really a newbie, I used to be on here many moons ago, but couldn't be arsed to try to dig up my old details so started afresh :p

lpski1 08 September 2006 08:50 AM

Youre a Newb all right or you would know how to change the amount of posts per page and you would also know that the default is 20 and always has been. So dont come it :razz:

Nido 08 September 2006 08:55 AM

Youre a Newb all right or you would know how to change the amount of posts per page and you would also know that the default is 20 and always has been. So dont come it :razz:

Nope, mine has definitely always been 30, and I haven't changed it :razz:

PS: When I was on here last the webby was mostly Simon, with the occasional post from Shaun. Yet now they all seem to be from Shaun, what happened to Simon? Don't mean to go of topic but just wondered :confused:

lpski1 08 September 2006 08:57 AM

You'll have to go to Policy for that, they both post under Webmaster now :)

DCI Gene Hunt 08 September 2006 08:57 AM

His mum wrote a note saying he was too ginger and nerdy to continue with Scoobynet so Shaun had to excuse him............... :D

SJ_Skyline 08 September 2006 10:25 AM

All this pent-up frustration...

I reckon Gene's ginger. :D

DCI Gene Hunt 08 September 2006 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
All this pent-up frustration...

I reckon Gene's ginger. :D

But rapidly going feckin grey......... :D

Michaela 08 September 2006 03:09 PM

Don't be silly! :p

Jay m A 08 September 2006 04:31 PM

It seems like its more a fear of water in the face / eyes / ears etc rather than swimming.

As said earlier what about in the showers after PE? is he going to throw a fit then when mummy isn't around? Who's going to provide the cotton wool then?

Jesus your boy is going to hate his new school if you don't address this.

Stick him in the shower and spray him with the shower head - but first tell him how bullied, picked on he will be if he doesn't go in the shower, swim.

Make him shower and wash his hair every day, if you can't manage it then find someone with more backbone who he looks up to, to do it.

TBH your opening post should be 'how can I get him to go swimming?' rather than 'how can I get him off swimming'

Not only should you address your sons attitude to water, you should address your flimsy backbone!

Sorry if it comes across a bit harsh

JoanUK300 08 September 2006 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by carl
Which school does he go to? You should have thought about things and sent him to one without a swimming pool (like Boys High). I know that you live round my way, and I suspect you've sent him to a school with a ****ing great swimming pool next door... ;)

Yeah...you got the one.......
PM me, perhaps pop round for a cuppa?????