ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Do you agree with the introduction of Road Charging? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/433327-do-you-agree-with-the-introduction-of-road-charging.html)

Geezer 10 June 2005 09:53 AM

I'm sure the govt can probably track your whereabouts now without implementing this system. Anyone who carries a mobile phone round effectivelt braodcasts their position anyway.

The thing that really annoys me is that it is such an obvious money spinner, and it is going to be so unpopular and they anouce it just after they have won the election. They have obviously been looking into it for a while, it really stinks.

Oh why are the Tories so fcuking useless??!?!?! If they gave us a viable alternative, this wouldn't have happened!!!!

Geezer

OllyK 10 June 2005 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Geezer
I'm sure the govt can probably track your whereabouts now without implementing this system. Anyone who carries a mobile phone round effectivelt braodcasts their position anyway.

Sure but it needs to be authorised (I suspect through a judge) to do so. This is essentially you being compelled to voluntarily pass the information over as to where you are and at what speed you are travelling every time you get in the car.

unclebuck 10 June 2005 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Geezer

The thing that really annoys me is that it is such an obvious money spinner, and it is going to be so unpopular and they anouce it just after they have won the election. They have obviously been looking into it for a while, it really stinks.

Oh why are the Tories so fcuking useless??!?!?! If they gave us a viable alternative, this wouldn't have happened!!!!

Geezer

There *was* plenty of discussion and dire warnings given on here as to what would happen if Labour got a third term. It's worth noting that this is only one proposal in whole raft of new legislation that the enviromentals have in store for the rest of us.

It's the 35% of the population that kept them in power are to blame for this and all the other stuff in the pipeline.

Jap2Scrap 10 June 2005 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by OllyK
Sure but it needs to be authorised (I suspect through a judge) to do so. This is essentially you being compelled to voluntarily pass the information over as to where you are and at what speed you are travelling every time you get in the car.

Unless you sign up for the free trial of 'Find It Now' on Vodafone live. It's like a mini gps personal satnav (actually it's pretty cool) but once you sign up you're able to be tracked from that point on without a court order - and it's irreversible short of ditching the contract.

boomer 10 June 2005 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'd love to see where the government got their BS statistics from, and shoot the person who made them up :mad:

Ali,

the company that commissioned the Mori poll, Detica do seem to be able to make a few quid in consulting fees should the government go ahead with this disgusting scheme.

When Darling quotes things such as "seven out of ten drivers would be happy to fit a GPS spybox in their car", he fails to explain that the original question was "would you be happy to fit a spybox to your car (at your own cost) if it meant that you wouldn't have to stop and pay a manual toll on every single stretch of road that you drive on?".

Thank God (sic) that the proposed laws against stirring racial hatred don't stop me from saying that Tony Blair and the rest of his cabinet should be assassinated!!!! :mad:

mb

hedgehog 11 June 2005 05:42 AM

That's not quite the question, though it is close. It was a bit more "which one of these benefits would encourage you to fit a box?"

The full text can be seen at the bottom of this page:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=433301&page=2

Other surveys which came out and asked the simple "Would you fit one of these" type question are coming out with 80%+ opposed.

The "only 16%" don't want one is a bit of spin put on some data from a survey which didn't actually ask that question.

Leslie 11 June 2005 06:44 AM

If you did the average of 12,000 miles per year and all on the cheapest roads, it would cost £240! So they are out for a financial killing, especially as they will not say there would be a complete lift of tax and VED.

As it is they only spend 1/5th of the VED on mending or inproving the road system.

Les

boomer 11 June 2005 06:58 AM

Feck,

i just noticed the following...

"None of these/Nothing would make me have an in-car device - 16"
and
"I do not have a vehicle - 17"

So the survey even allowed people who don't have a car to vote for others get spied on and to pay a charge. And the clever twisting of the questions means that these lentil munchers actually outnumber people who dont' want 1984 to become a reality.

When hedgehog says that we should speak out - make sure you DO so, otherwise prepare to become a compulsary bus passenger :(

mb

Mk2_heaven 11 June 2005 01:10 PM

well i didnt vote the to55ers in :(

why was this not mentioned before the election, just another indication of the real tony B liar and his cronies.

they can feck off if they think ill be having a box in any of my vehicles you cant do owt these days without somebody knowing where you are

Rip off bloody britain at its best!

Patriot 11 June 2005 01:45 PM

I think the tax disc should be scrapped and the cost added to petrol, my car is parked up for 6 months of the year but I have to pay the same as someone who is using theirs every day. At least all drivers will be caught in the net including the ones who drive around with no road tax, methinks it is the old trick of frighten the masses with some really bad news and then introduce another system which will still take money out of their pockets but isn't as bad, gets everyone breathing a sigh of relief...tax disc scrapped is my bet.

Suresh 12 June 2005 02:46 PM

There is a great article about road pricing in this week's 'Britain' section of the Economist, a magazine which I would describe as leaning towards the Tories, despite being generally pragmatic and eventually ackowledging Tony as the logical choice in this year's election contest.

The starting argument for change is that Britains trunk raods are more bunged up that those in Europe. % of trunk roads congested for more than an hour a day is about 25% in the UK compared to 15% in the Netherlands and under 5% in France. Is doing nothing really the right choice?

According to the article, the issue of road pricing is not about increasing the overall revenue, but making those who travel at the busiest times and cause congestion actually pay more and those who don't pay less. When you think about it simple supply and demand pricing makes sense, doesn't it?

Suresh,
(who usually avoids the rush and is sitting at his desk before 0730)

ALi-B 12 June 2005 03:27 PM

After our recent inspection, it has also occured to me the Inland revenue will love to have this type of system on every company owned vehicle. They know full well many people, given the opertunity fiddle their mileages and fuel allowance for personal use. If they had proof of these activities, then it won't be just road use charges the government will make a killing on :(

The starting argument for change is that Britains trunk raods are more bunged up that those in Europe. % of trunk roads congested for more than an hour a day is about 25% in the UK compared to 15% in the Netherlands and under 5% in France. Is doing nothing really the right choice?
What a stupid and poorly thought out argument...which country has one of Europe's highest population densities? Which country has the oldest and most poorly invested road and transport infrastructure? Which country has the narrowest main trunk roads? Which country has road layouts that restrict traffic flow instead of easing it? (such as lane reducing, lack of graded junctions, no left hand filters lanes to allow right turns without blocking traffic flow, No left turns on red traffic lights, the list goes on...).

It is a very poor and pathetic excuse to use and justify these road charging plans. Any fool can see its adressing the effects of the problem and not the cause.

unclebuck 12 June 2005 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Suresh
ackowledging Tony as the logical choice in this year's election contest.

That's crap too, as we can now (and for the next four years) clearly see.

Suresh 12 June 2005 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by unclebuck
That's crap too, as we can now (and for the next four years) clearly see.

:cuckoo:
I suggest you are looking out of your brown eye as well as talking out of it. :o
The Economist is traditionally a Tory paper, but doesn't see the Tories as being the best choice at the moment.

AndyC_772 12 June 2005 06:11 PM

Suresh, I think you're both lucky and unusual in having the option to travel off peak and avoid the jams. The mandatory provision of flexible working hours to a wider spectrum of employees is one of the key suggestions I make in my letter described here. I also explain how the fact that many people do not have such an option is what gives us a congested rush hour in the first place, and why it's therefore pointless to tax people for sitting in jams over which they have no choice.

If anyone else feels strongly that road pricing is a bad idea, or even isn't quite sure what all the fuss is over, please drop me a PM - see http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=433952

unclebuck 12 June 2005 06:30 PM

:cuckoo:
I suggest you are looking out of your brown eye as well as talking out of it. :o

Suresh - you are a complete w*nker. You don't even live in this country and yet seem to think you have the right to preach your crap to us like you know something important. Why don't you take your insults and piss off somewhere else, because from where I sit you know jack-****.

Suresh 12 June 2005 10:40 PM

What a tool

Suresh - you are a complete w*nker. You don't even live in this country and yet seem to think you have the right to preach your crap to us like you know something important. Why don't you take your insults and piss off somewhere else, because from where I sit you know jack-****.

Erm thanks for that.
Unfortunately for you, I have a vote in the UK and used it wisely. Luckily people like you with their low-brow arguments can't do anything about it!! :hjtwofing Get over it, loser.

AndyC_772 : I travel so early because the missus needs to start work at that time. Otherwise I would sleep in and start after the rushhour is over. You have a good point that the uk needs more flexible working practices if road pricing is to become a reality. Good luck with your campaign. :thumb:

Suresh

AndyC_772 12 June 2005 10:43 PM

Thanks. In fact I'd like to think that, with more flexible working practices in place, further intervention would in fact not be necessary at all.

22BUK 13 June 2005 12:46 AM

Seems to me we should all club together and buy a small property in some other country and all register our cars there...

jasey 13 June 2005 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 22BUK
Seems to me we should all club together and buy a small property in some other country and all register our cars there...

Maybe we should all club together and buy a big property and go live there - A big farm in France near a train station servicing the Channel Tunnel rail link is probably the wisest choice ;)

Jap2Scrap 13 June 2005 08:49 AM

Anyone see the smug tw4t on the news Sunday lunchtime? He was being interviewed about the poll mentioned above.

Reporter: "The poll seems to suggest not everyone is happy with the plans as you see them."
Smug NL Tw4t: "The majority of those polled were happy to allow a gps unit to be fitted."
Reporter: "What about the 16% who said that there was no way they'd have these units fitted?"
SNLT: "Well that 16% won't have cars anymore then will they."

The interviewer went on to ask about the Big Brother implications of 24hr tracking. The tw4t countered by saying that only the payment details would be uploaded and as yet they're undecided as to whether to record travel information on a central database with police access.

unclebuck 13 June 2005 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
SNLT: "Well that 16% won't have cars anymore then will they."

Democracy New Labour (new lewis) style. That'll be 50% of voters on here then. No more scoobs on the road - just what pslewis wants!!

unclebuck 13 June 2005 09:20 AM

Erm thanks for that.
Unfortunately for you, I have a vote in the UK and used it wisely. Luckily people like you with their low-brow arguments can't do anything about it!! Get over it, loser.

Suresh

fVck off you Lib Dem PC faggot :mad:

OllyK 13 June 2005 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 22BUK

That's already in my plan - and has been for some time, just need to finish rennovating the current property first :D

Suresh 13 June 2005 11:51 AM

lul

fVck off you Lib Dem PC faggot :mad:

Quite a little keyboard hero aren't we? :Whatever_