ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   20 years ago today ......... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/407690-20-years-ago-today.html)

moses 03 March 2005 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
The Tories brought a once proud industry to its knees, the miners strike ended this day, 20 years ago.

Some of you won't remember it, but it wiped out whole towns - split families and a whole proud workforce were humiliated.

Maggies finest hour - the Tories at their best! :rolleyes:

NEVER let those dark days return to this nation!

Pete

u talking about f***ing bringing them down to the knee's they destroyed scotland closed ravenscraig, and factories in greenock and port glasgow

the w@nkers

Jye 03 March 2005 08:08 PM

No, they *tried* to destroy Scotland m8 ;)

Feck em all :D

moses 03 March 2005 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jye
No, they *tried* to destroy Scotland m8 ;)

Feck em all :D

lol :D true we still here but they messed our economy up bud, i was a wee boy then, lot of families got destroyed financially mate

pslewis 03 March 2005 10:12 PM

As long as more people remember the **** that was the UK under the Tories the longer we will keep the scum out of power .............. never may a Tory shadow be cast across this country again!

Pete

hedgehog 03 March 2005 11:43 PM

I thought it interesting how you drew the parallel between that bitch Thatcher's use of the police to destroy the way of life of the miners and that lying Blair's use of the police to destroy the way of life of those involved in, and making a living from, country sports.

On reflection neither of these were decisions driven by logic but decisions driven by personal views and opinions and in each case massive levels of control over citizens of this country are necessary. Technology has moved on a little since Thatcher gave the police a pay rise to beat the crap out of the miners and so some of the measures Tony wants to force on us are a bit more subtle. However, you usefully made the point Pete that there isn't much difference between Labour and the Tories when it comes to wanting to control the lives of the people through the use of force and technology. To be honest I think your faith is fading fast and you will soon be over standing on my side of the fence. Well done old man.

By the way, do you post all your messages yourself or do several people use your login? I've noticed some differences in the style of your postings. You want to be a little more careful about that, perhaps it is just the drugs.

Leslie 04 March 2005 11:41 AM

Don't worry Jye, I am well ahead of him, but I like to remind him about it.:)

I do agree that our coal reserves are extremely valuable and well may become very important in the future. They should not be lost for sure.

Les

Chip 04 March 2005 01:51 PM

Move with the times guys. Most people have got those funny metal things and a big burner in their houses these days. Oh yeah it's called central heating. Powered by gas, a nice clean, environmentally friendly, energy efficient fuel.

Do you really want to go back to burning such a horribly dirty, inneficient fossil fuel dug out from 1 mile under the ground.

Chip

Jye 04 March 2005 02:08 PM

That doesnt help when I'm trying to cook my dinner in the dark though Chip :)

logiclee 04 March 2005 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chip
Move with the times guys. Most people have got those funny metal things and a big burner in their houses these days. Oh yeah it's called central heating. Powered by gas, a nice clean, environmentally friendly, energy efficient fuel.

Do you really want to go back to burning such a horribly dirty, inneficient fossil fuel dug out from 1 mile under the ground.

Chip

So then Mr Chip do you also have a gas TV/Microwave/DVD/PC/Lighting?

Depending on demand 33-46% of Electricity in the UK is generated by coal burn. It can be done cleanly and is the most cost effective way of generating electricity other than renewables.
Renewables produce around 5% of todays electricity generation and even if all the planned future projects get the investment and planning permission they wont even keep up with the expected increase in demand.

Cheers
Lee

kingofturds 04 March 2005 05:21 PM

Chip

but didnt labour sell of most of our north sea gas reserves on to pay for the millions on the ole back in the 70s:thumb:

Chip 04 March 2005 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jye
That doesnt help when I'm trying to cook my dinner in the dark though Chip :)

Jye,

You still using coal fired cookers Oop north are you:D

Chip

ajm 04 March 2005 05:54 PM

Jye,

You still using coal fired cookers Oop north are you:D

Chip

Bucket 'o porridge hanging over the fire! :D

Jye 04 March 2005 06:06 PM

LOL, porridge is yummy :D

Get back to me when you taffs get rid oh yer gas powered lamps ;)

Chip 04 March 2005 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jye
LOL, porridge is yummy :D

Get back to me when you taffs get rid oh yer gas powered lamps ;)

Saw some gas powered streetlamps in Malvern,England not long ago.

None in Wales though as we are obviously so much more advanced than the English.

Chip

Jap2Scrap 04 March 2005 06:36 PM

My current gf's dad was a miner, he'd have been in his mid 40's during the strikes.

I have to say, he's done ok for himself. Retired early, nice pension to top up the pitiful NL offerings. Free coal and a nice house, once supplied by the mining co, now owned by him.

Not bad really.

Chip 04 March 2005 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by logiclee
So then Mr Chip do you also have a gas TV/Microwave/DVD/PC/Lighting?

Cheers
Lee

Well actually YES. A lot of our electricity in South Wales is generated in gas fired power stations.

Chip

ajm 04 March 2005 06:38 PM

Well actually YES. A lot of our electricity in South Wales is generated in gas fired power stations.

Chip

It was the English that gave you the gift of fire.... and more recently electricity! :D

Chip 04 March 2005 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ajm
It was the English that gave you the gift of fire.... and more recently electricity! :D

And where does your water come from boyo. Wales most probably. Pure, clear
mountain filtered water.

Chip

ajm 04 March 2005 06:45 PM

And where does your water come from boyo. Wales most probably. Pure, clear
mountain filtered water.

Chip

Blagdon and Cheddar actually, and I bet we had water before you guys did too! ;)

logiclee 04 March 2005 06:50 PM

Chip

That's not how the grid works.

Without coal burn you would be sat in the dark. :)

Lee

Chip 04 March 2005 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ajm
Blagdon and Cheddar actually, and I bet we had water before you guys did too! ;)

Nope,the stuff you get is just the excess that runs off the Welsh mountains:D

Chip

Chip 04 March 2005 06:55 PM

That's not how the grid works.

Without coal burn you would be sat in the dark. :)

Lee

Like in the winter of discontent then.

Chip

ajm 04 March 2005 06:59 PM

Nope,the stuff you get is just the excess that runs off the Welsh mountains:D

Chip

LOL! I suppose it runs down into the Bristol Channel and then back up the other side then does it?? :D

logiclee 04 March 2005 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
My current gf's dad was a miner, he'd have been in his mid 40's during the strikes.

I have to say, he's done ok for himself. Retired early, nice pension to top up the pitiful NL offerings. Free coal and a nice house, once supplied by the mining co, now owned by him.

Not bad really.

If he gets free coal and a good pension he must have been in his 50's when he was made redundant.

Most of the younger miners suffered years of unemployment and some villages like Manton turned into crime ridden drug centres.

You GF's Dad's pension would also be far greater if the Government hadn't taken 50% of the profits since privatisation an amount totaling nearly £1000Million.

Both Tory and Labour governments have robbed the miners of thier pensions while having no clear energy policy for the UK. We are still looking at being 80% reliant on Eastern European countries for our energy within the next ten years.

Cheers
Lee

logiclee 04 March 2005 07:05 PM

Like in the winter of discontent then.

Chip

Yep,

My post haven't been Anti Tory or for NL, I work in and see what's happening to the security of supply of the UK's future energy requirements and it's frankly frightening.

We are heading for massive energy bills and blackouts that's for sure.
We will soon be bidding against the like's of China for Coal and Gas.

Lee

Leslie 05 March 2005 08:17 AM

I live well in the South and we have an open fire which burns wood/coal. It works well at keeping us warm and we like the look of it too.

Gas is fine but it will not last for ever, I believe the N Sea supplies are running low already. LPG is far too expensive to use for central heating.

Coal is a rich source of all kinds of important compounds and one can also make a form of petrol out of it. It was used for producing gas as well of course in the past.

Les

Chip 05 March 2005 09:30 AM

Yep,

My post haven't been Anti Tory or for NL, I work in and see what's happening to the security of supply of the UK's future energy requirements and it's frankly frightening.

We are heading for massive energy bills and blackouts that's for sure.
We will soon be bidding against the like's of China for Coal and Gas.

Lee

Lee,
As i'm sure you know gas will be brought into the UK via the new LNG terminal being constructed in Pembroke. This will supply a large part of the UKs gas demand in the future.106 billion cf to be exact.

LNG has been imported into the UK for years via Canvey Island so this is not just a recent thing either.

As for blackout's if they happen it will be through equipment failure rather than a lack of supply via the grid.

Who do you work for?

Chip

logiclee 05 March 2005 10:39 AM

Lee,
As i'm sure you know gas will be brought into the UK via the new LNG terminal being constructed in Pembroke. This will supply a large part of the UKs gas demand in the future.106 billion cf to be exact.

LNG has been imported into the UK for years via Canvey Island so this is not just a recent thing either.

As for blackout's if they happen it will be through equipment failure rather than a lack of supply via the grid.

Who do you work for?

Chip

Chip,

I'd rather not post who I work for on here but I'm an Eletrical Engineer involved in one part of the generating chain.

The UK does not have the generating capacity to offset coal burn, Worldwide coal burn is expanding by 10% a year and the coal for sale on the world market is becoming less and more expensive every year. Over the last two years world coal price has doubled.

Without the 80 Million tonnes of coal we import every year we would have 30% less capacity than demand.

I'm aware of the advances towards importing gas, our natural gas reserves have been wasted in electricity generation over the last 20 years meaning the UK is now subject to expensive imported gas from unstable foreign countries.
The world spot price of Gas and Coal will continue to rocket as developing economies like China continue to import more and more energy.

I just can't see how the UK can have security of supply when 80% of our energy will be imported from mainly unstable eastern block countries.

Whoever ends up in Government needs to wake up and provide a realistic energy policy for the next 20 years.

Cheers
Lee