ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone up for a three minute power nap at noon today? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/392034-anyone-up-for-a-three-minute-power-nap-at-noon-today.html)

Daz34 05 January 2005 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vipa
Daz... please tell me (from the quotation you have highlighted) where you feel I am "talking out of my arse?"

Originally Posted by Vipa
DEATH AND DESTRUCTION HASN'T BEEN SEEN ON THIS SCALE SINCE THE LAST WORLD WAR BUT THE LAST WORLD WAR WAS A RESULT OF MANKIND'S WARPED SENSE OF SELF PRESERVATION (I.E. OO-ER WE WANT TO LIVE IN PEACE AND PRESERVE OUR WAY OF LIFE.... I KNOW LETS DESTROY THOSE WHO THINK DIFFERENTLY.........ETC.ETC....)

The China Earthquake of 1976
No other earthquake in this century has been as catastrophic or has claimed as many lives as the great earthquake that struck the city of Tangshan, in Northern China, on July 28, 1976.

Tangshan, a thriving industrial city with one million inhabitants, is located only about 95 miles east, and slightly south, of Beijing. Although the region had experienced moderate seismic activity in the past, the city of Tangshan has been built on unstable, alluvial soil. To make matters worse, The city is located in the center of an area with major crustal faults on four sides. Furthermore, a 25-mile long fault passes through Tangshan, where only few of its structures are earthquake-resistant.

In the early morning hours of July 28, while the city was asleep, the magnitude 8.0 earthquake with its epicenter right on the city broke a five-mile section of the fault. Along the west side of the fault the land moved five feet northward in relation to the land on the east side. The east block tipped downward at the northern end of the break, and upward toward the south end. Over a four-by-five mile area the devastation of the city was nearly total. The force of the quake motions were so strong that people reported being thrown in the air. Within seconds, thousands died. Property destruction was unbelievable. Bridges, railroads, homes, factories were completely leveled.

In the harbor city of Tientsin, 60 miles to the southwest, and in Beijing to the west, the quake jolts forced thousands of frightened people into the streets seeking refuge from aftershocks.

The extent of the destruction and number of deaths in Tangshan and elsewhere in China was never disclosed officially. However, based on the density of population, it was fairly accurately estimated that there were at least 655,000 people dead, and 780,000 injured.
Think that covers it. I guess 24hr news waters down the quality.

scoob_babe 05 January 2005 01:32 PM

We live in a live by / trial by media society where we are expected to toe the line. What next, informants to the society-adherance police....

Vipa 05 January 2005 01:35 PM

Daz

I stand corrected

Paul

King RA 05 January 2005 02:11 PM

Highest Earthquake Death Toll Of Modern Times

The highest earthquake death toll in modern times was caused by one that hit Tangshan, China, on July 28, 1976. The official figure of 655,237 deaths was first adjusted to 750,000 and then to 242,000.

From Guinness book of records

john_s 05 January 2005 04:25 PM

Don't get me wrong, it's been a terrible tragedy. However, it was a natural disaster. These things happen. It could (and no doubt will at some point) happen again... tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, etc. It might be us next time. The epicentre may be in the Irish Sea, the North Sea, etc.

Grief is a personal thing, not a trend, or something to be coerced by the media.

When a solider goes into battle he or she knows the risks.
Because a group of people have died facing a risk they knew, does it make their death less significant?

Or does that make it all the more admirable that they still did it? People knowingly (though I accept not necessarily willingly in the case of conscripts) doing something that could lead to them making the ultimate sacrifice in my eyes deserves more respect, not less.

We are fortunate that because of (or despite) events in the past we are free to choose which charities we donate to; when, where, and how we show respect for and remember those who (for whatever reason) are no longer with us. It's not something that needs to be forced on us.

John.

Petem95 05 January 2005 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by john_s
These things happen. It could (and no doubt will at some point) happen again... tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, etc. It might be us next time. The epicentre may be in the Irish Sea, the North Sea, etc.

The epicentre couldnt be the Irish sea because earthquakes happen alone plate boundaries when the plates move (the worlds surface is made up of a number of large tectonic plates). There are no plate boundaries in the Irish sea, all of Europe inc the UK is on the 'Eurasian' plate.

The nearest plate boundaries to us are in the middle of the atlantic, however this isnt likely to ever cause a Tsunami because of the way they move.

Nexuas 05 January 2005 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Petem95
The epicentre couldnt be the Irish sea because earthquakes happen alone plate boundaries when the plates move (the worlds surface is made up of a number of large tectonic plates). There are no plate boundaries in the Irish sea, all of Europe inc the UK is on the 'Eurasian' plate.

The nearest plate boundaries to us are in the middle of the atlantic, however this isnt likely to ever cause a Tsunami because of the way they move.

So explain the dudley earthquake a few years ago, or the Manchester one about 10 years ago or the two in Shropshire about 15 years ago... I know they happened as i felt them both? They were on a much smaller scale but still the earth moved for me!!!

rr_ww 05 January 2005 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by astraboy
Let me make one thing clear. I am not ignorant of the loss of life, nor the human suffering that has taken place.
Neither do I "not care" about what happened. My aunt was on a third floor balcony when the wave came in. If she had decided to get up instead of having a lay in then I would probably be out there, flying her body home.
Neither am I "Younger Scum" who thinks "What the fcuk do I care?"
What I do object to is the perpetual Silences that are suggested by the media and then enforced by the grief police.
The reason I object is that if this continues, the orginal concept of a minutes silence will be warped to a point when we are having 3 minutes silence everytime a Z list celebrity croaks. By this point, the "mere" minutes silence for those who died in two world wars will become meaningless.
This will bring us a step closer to forgetting their sacrifice for our freedom and THIS is the reason why I object to it.
I reserve my silence for November the 11th and at no other time. And its not because I am ignorant of what has happened, just that I refuse to be controlled by popular culture and the grief industry.
astraboy.

Agree

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Griefs a personal thing as is how you choose to deal with it - being bullied into repeated minutes of silence by the media / colleagues / folk on BBS's is absurd - I shall continue about my daily life at noon and pity help anyone who "Shh's" me....
P

Agree Again

Company I work for ENFORCED this "silence" They didnt give a fkuc about the November Armistice though. Boils my fkucing pith! :mad:

Luan Pra bang 05 January 2005 07:52 PM

Its all very well trying to get logical about this but people are always motivated more by emotions than logic. Across the 24/7 news channels there has been one heart braking story after another about the deaths out there and it gives people a bit of empathy for those that have lost a friend a family or a whole communtiy of friends out there. People would never have givin a **** either way without news coverage but there is loads of it now can you say that that is a bad thing. Empathy and understanding can only be a good thing for the world in general so why not report as much as possible. There is not enough hours in the day to mourn for every tragic story in the world so does that mean we shouldn't mourn any ? As for mentioning the wars that was a few years ago now and is still rememberd in a number of ways every year but should that not include every one who has ever faught for britan since 1066 ?
Its all very simple I think the idea of a minutes silence is to show that a tragic event has not gone unnoticed and un thought about and gives time to reflect on how lucky we are to be here alive and safe. People in this country have life so easy and yet still complain and moan and think they are so hard done by. How can someone complain about a silence is beyond me did someone make you shut up, was it the law was it enforced ,or was it just an arrangement created for those that wished to partake you don't like it fine but please shut the fcuk up untill you have something worth compaining about.

zoton 05 January 2005 08:01 PM

Tsunami sells

Read the whole thread...very impressed.
Long live free speech I say.

No-one in Sri Lanka benefited from that show of 'solidarity', if fact doing nothing (ie standing silently) seems pretty sick. How about using your three minutes to nip a quick few quid off to those it affected?

Anyone for another phone-in show or third rate celebrities opinion on the horror.

Scoobless 06 January 2005 11:13 AM

DESTRUCTION HASN'T BEEN SEEN ON THIS SCALE SINCE THE LAST WORLD WAR BUT THE LAST WORLD WAR WAS A RESULT OF MANKIND'S WARPED SENSE OF SELF PRESERVATION (I.E. OO-ER WE WANT TO LIVE IN PEACE AND PRESERVE OUR WAY OF LIFE.... I KNOW LETS DESTROY THOSE WHO THINK DIFFERENTLY.........ETC.ETC....) A NATURAL DISASTER ON THIS SCALE HAS NOT OCCURED FOR TENS OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS
Whats so warped about defending your country from an invading enemy

Leslie 06 January 2005 11:39 AM

gtr man,

It is difficult to know from your reply to me whether you are apologising for your own lack of knowledge of the English language, or whether it is a criticism of me. If you read your first post with an open mind you may understand what I said in my reply to it. You inferred that servicemen who lose their lives deserve less respect than those poor people who were caught up in the tsunamis because the servicemen know the score when they sign on. What about those in the world wars who were conscripted but still sacrificed themselves for our freedom? Maybe you should be a bit more careful how you write a post so that we all understand exactly what you mean. Or just use a sensible method of underlining your point.

If you address me, I'll thank you to use my name properly and not to attempt a cheap joke at my expense which does you no credit at all!

Les