ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Road charge = £1.45 per mile (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/343585-road-charge-1-45-per-mile.html)

Faire D'Income 12 July 2004 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by milo
if you re-read the article, you will see this:

how is this not a benefit?

i suspect that since the haulage industry does NOT cause major congestion and as the vast majority of the mileage is not in urban areas, you will actually be SAVING money from this approach.

ive NEVER said diesel for the haulage industry should be heavily taxed btw, if you honestly think im on here to try to ruin your job.. im not.

First of all, the haulage industry is a significant contributor to congestion which you can experience by travelling along your average motorway with convoys of trucks lined along it.

Secondly, presumably you're aware that trunk roads include motorways and A roads, so not only will you drastically increase the tax burden to UK Plc you will also be hit in your own wallet as these costs are passed on to the consumer.

Bravo2zero_sps 12 July 2004 12:18 PM

LOL the system would never work, would kill off transport in this country. For example on the basis of £1.45 a mile my trip to see a mate that was 300 miles would have cost me £435 in charges :rolleyes: That was driving mostly m25 and a1 which I assume would be party to the charges. Add on the £60 in petrol I spent and i'm looking at £500. How would the transport industry survive? Prices would escalate so high that industry in this country would collapse due to imports being massively cheaper.

Any Government that tried to impose such a system would be laughed out of Parliament imho.

r32 12 July 2004 12:20 PM

On Radio four this very morning (taken from Govt statistics), there are 500 new civil service posts every week under this Government. Thats why we are paying the highest taxes ever. The money promised to education and health never gets there, its swallowed up in red tape. Another fact, the NHS is the largest user of Company cars in the Country, since they changed the running of hospitals there are more Admin people than health related employees.

The proposed change to charge per mile may be done under the guise of cutting green house gases etc but in reality its another way of obtaining the ever increased taxation that this Govt needs.

Freak 12 July 2004 01:35 PM

hmm
im self employed- petrol etc all comes out of my own pocket- im not paid for expenses or a mileage rate either
50k miles a year i do to and from work. I work all over the country, so it is impossible to live nearby. It is 99% motorway miles, also done late at night when it is quiet.
That comes to in excess of 72000 pounds per year if it were 1.45 per mile, which is more than i earn.

Plus private miles....
This would all be in addition to paying astranomical fuel tax, road tax, and insurance tax,etc

The only good point would be that i could knock it off my tax as a business expense, but after paying all that i wouldnt have any money left in the first place to eat, let alone drive. :rolleyes:

If this happens i will emigrate.

Vote the retards out.

PPPMAT 12 July 2004 03:09 PM

Hmmm satellite tagging - also giving info on where you are at any time and what speed you're travelling at. Looks like typical labour spin - get everyone all worked up and the reality will be far less onerous but still a pain.

Also this only effects law abiding citizens - much like car tax and speeding/parking fines today. Where's the incentive to tow the line?

OllyK 12 July 2004 03:53 PM

Mmm - Sat Tagging. Suspect it would be much like "tracker" and such like, which require a half decent view of the sky to work. End result, shouldn't be too hard to locate the offending article and for it to have a rather nasty, but un-observed acciedent with a blow torch while carrying out some other minor mods.

hedgehog 12 July 2004 04:04 PM

The tags will also be embedded chips in your number plate. These will be read by devices at the roadside which will determine your movements. Some sort of induction loop type thing I'd guess.

I am not at all sure, as yet, as to how the GPS system will interface with these number plate tags, or even if it will. I think the purpose of the number plate tags is to determine your position and how much you owe in road use tax and the purpose of the GPS system is to control your car so it can't exceed the speed limit, will slow down for corners etc. etc.

Ultimately I suspect there are two types of control going on here: one to get money off you for everything you do and one to stop you doing anything big brother doesn't agree with.

OllyK 12 July 2004 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by hedgehog
The tags will also be embedded chips in your number plate. These will be read by devices at the roadside which will determine your movements. Some sort of induction loop type thing I'd guess.

Yeah read about those - suspect they would not respond well to a heavy knock such a bumping in to a bollard, which could be simulated with a large hammer!! :D

hedgehog 12 July 2004 04:30 PM

As this scheme will raise £10 billion and will offer government control over your personal mobility, at the behest of the Greens and PC mob, I suspect you will find that enforcement will be efficient and summary.

People fighting speeding tickets have been convicted despite witness statements that they were at a wedding many hundreds of miles away, and photos showing their car was different from the clone in the camera picture. I think you will find that this is the enforcement model upon which the number plate tags will be based. In effect speed cameras are nothing but a test bed for the government to take total control of your personal mobility.

I would doubt if the average law abiding citizen will get more than a mile with a broken number plate tag before meeting with the full force of the law. Remember this will be linked to a GPS system, a licensing system, your reg number, the DVLA, a nationwide system of detectors and a national ID card system.

The only way to hit the tags with a hammer will be to stop them before they get introduced. Wait until afterwards and you will spend the rest of your life with big brother looking over your shoulder.

Wurzel 12 July 2004 04:47 PM

Just wait for the spate of thefts as teh local hoodlums start to steal car number plates.

Will the new system recognise that yesterday that plate was on a green car in Reading and is now on a red car in Newcastle?????

The simplest thing to do will be to get a foreign car with foreign plates like me! what will happen if I bring my car over to the UK I get to drive round for free.

Also over here in Germany we don't have a health service we all have to pay for medical insurance, which is fecking expensive and gets abused no end. Go tot the doctor claiming stress he will sign you off for 2 weeks and send you to a health farm all of which is paid for by your health insurance.

not long after I moved here I was taken to hospital by ambulance we travelled 7 km and I was charged 480 DM I then spent 10 nights in hospital and had to pay 17dm a day out of my own pocket also the cost of setting my broken ankle was over 5500 DM so not only is the health insurance system abused by the insured, the doctors rip you off aswell.

They have just introduced a charge here aswell to be a patient it is €40 a year, ontop of that if you everytime you go to teh doctor you get charged, then you have to pay for the drugs.

We have one of the highest taxations in europe aswell I get about 49% deductions from my salary every month and I am not an overly high earner. This can go upto about 52% if you earn over certain amount, if we get a bonus or any thing that is not normal to our salary I get taxed at 77% on the entire months salery not just the bonus.

So if your planning on leaving the UK to see if the grass is indead greener then don't come to Germany.

We have a tax which is purely to pay for the reunification ie to build up the infrastructure of the old East

r32 13 July 2004 07:15 AM

If this happens, then I'll take early retirement and move to Spain...