ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   8 weeks off for school teachers!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1027149-8-weeks-off-for-school-teachers.html)

zip106 19 July 2015 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11712953)
:lol1: It may have had something to do with the fact I spent most of my time in the corridors or outside my head of years office waiting to get the cane. :lol1:

But yeah it was a bit Grange Hill.

I only messed around in French - in the hope I'd get detention with Miss Linguard..... :norty:

JohnSmith 19 July 2015 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11712804)
Most inside the profession agree too.

Yet EVERY time the politicos want some change, or something headline grabbing, they don't ask teachers, they ask the media and stupid think-tanks. Worse, they EXCLUDE teachers from the discussions, then, when it all goes wrong, it somehow becomes the school's fault for not implementing it properly.

This latest round of SAT's: what mastermind came up with the idea that 65% of the population should be above average? Do they not understand average?

And what's this crap about "coasting" schools? You get good results and a good OFSTED, you don't improve AGAIN the next year, suddenly you are no good?

Bull****.

Is it true SATS are being abolished ?

Dingdongler 20 July 2015 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11712804)
Most inside the profession agree too.

Yet EVERY time the politicos want some change, or something headline grabbing, they don't ask teachers, they ask the media and stupid think-tanks. Worse, they EXCLUDE teachers from the discussions, then, when it all goes wrong, it somehow becomes the school's fault for not implementing it properly.

This latest round of SAT's: what mastermind came up with the idea that 65% of the population should be above average? Do they not understand average?

And what's this crap about "coasting" schools? You get good results and a good OFSTED, you don't improve AGAIN the next year, suddenly you are no good?

Bull****.

Al, is this definitely true? My younger son just got his results and I thought it was something like 'above or below national expectations', no mention of an average as such. I'll dig out the piece of paper later and confirm.

I don't pay to much attention to SATs but I'd still be interested to know more details if you have them.

Matteeboy 20 July 2015 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11712526)
What are your thoughts about bringing back Grammer Schools?

I went to the selective Royal Grammar School, Guildford and look how I turned out. :lol1:

alcazar 20 July 2015 08:56 AM

John: there is no move to abandon SATS as far as I know. Scotland and Wales have got rid of league tables, and I THINK have got rid of some SATS.

Key Stage 3 went about five to ten years ago, those were the ones at 14. They were meaningless, but Maggie faithfully copied the American system**, and they change school from Junior high to high at 14.

As far as averages are concerned, yes, they are using "national expectations", but what else does it mean

So much so that our year one is actually the second year in school:rolleyes:, the first year having to be called reception.
And why not copy the Americans? Their results were so far ahead of ours, weren't they? Oh, wait.......... when I was at school, a British "A" level in Physics was equivalent to an American degree.:mad:

Not any more............

Felix. 20 July 2015 03:48 PM

My youngest is at primary school and they are starting to not 'grade' pupils as such in the end of year reports.

For example, in previous years, she would get a score from 0-7 with 7 being well above the average, 5 being average and 0 not so good. Now, all the reports are just saying "she is preforming to the national expectation"

Its ruffled a few feathers with the pushy parents who are always expecting their darling child to have all 7's lol

neil-h 20 July 2015 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 11713332)
My youngest is at primary school and they are starting to not 'grade' pupils as such in the end of year reports.

For example, in previous years, she would get a score from 0-7 with 7 being well above the average, 5 being average and 0 not so good. Now, all the reports are just saying "she is preforming to the national expectation"

Its ruffled a few feathers with the pushy parents who are always expecting their darling child to have all 7's lol

:lol1: All because telling little Jimmy he's thick has been deemed to be mean.

Felix. 20 July 2015 04:44 PM

Exactly - and we don't want little Johnny thinking he's better than anyone (even though he is)

Now - lets us get out our safety crayon and a circle of paper

JohnSmith 20 July 2015 05:33 PM

And let us give everyone a medal for taking part in sports day

alcazar 20 July 2015 06:02 PM

So, on a scale of 0-7, 5 is average? How's that work? Five numbers below, two above?

Sounds like Tory Tosser thinking to me.

Felix. 20 July 2015 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11713382)
So, on a scale of 0-7, 5 is average? How's that work? Five numbers below, two above?

Sounds like Tory Tosser thinking to me.

It went along the lines that someone who is 'average' looks as though they are getting 5 out of 7 which seems good.

4 will have been almost average
3 slightly below average
2 just under average
1 below average
0 always room for improvement

neil-h 20 July 2015 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 11713395)
It went along the lines that someone who is 'average' looks as though they are getting 5 out of 7 which seems good.

4 will have been almost average
3 slightly below average
2 just under average
1 below average
0 always room for improvement

Sounds about right, plenty of space to quantify the mediocre but very little for the genuinely good.

zip106 20 July 2015 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by JohnSmith (Post 11713371)
And let us give everyone a medal for taking part in sports day

Thankfully, my sons school don't seem to partake in that bull$hit.
At sports day today, only the first three over the line got the appropriately coloured stickers.

Uncle Creepy 21 July 2015 03:09 AM

Matteeboy 21 July 2015 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy (Post 11713607)
I walk past RGS most days, Mattee. It's got a great reputation. Fairly reasonable fees compared to others in the area. As you say, very selective, so there must be plenty of boys wanting to enrol each year. You from Guildford?

Nearby; New Haw (until 3) Cobham until 6, West Horseley until 14 then moved down here. I used to get the train to school. At the time the local comp was dire so failing the entrance exam simply wasn't an option. A lot of pressure aged 10! No tuition though; just took it. Some parents spent a fortune on extra tuition.

It was (and still is) a good school but being "double selective" (you need to bright and have parents with a few quid) does warp your sense of normality aged 11.

Are you in Guildford? Most of my relatives still live that way.

Uncle Creepy 21 July 2015 07:21 PM