ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Is barter taxable? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1019463-is-barter-taxable.html)

Carnut 03 February 2015 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11619719)
No offence Chris, but you've no idea what anyone on here pays in tax so it's not really on to accuse people of being economical with the truth as regards their tax arrangements.

Oh come on, maybe not on but id put a lot of money on it, just say the amount.

daveyj 03 February 2015 07:25 PM

It's made me way more responsible with money, paperwork, etc. Through force more than anything else. Granted it isn't for everyone and in some cases it just isn't practical but I'd recommend it to anyone in my job role. Some people, like myself, don't like getting bogged down with the BS political game you always end up playing when tied to one place of work. You can get to know folk just long enough to see the working day out, which suits my Meldrew-like persona. I'm also in a fortunate position to be knocking out bacon butties in a field in the pissing rain one week then cook for a family overseas the week after that. I've never been able to do that prior to going it alone. I structure my year with enough work just to cover the outgoings and pick work up, no matter how **** it is (the rate's the same) if I find something I want to buy and can't afford without the work. It averages out as a 3.5 day working week over the year but it's clustered predominantly between Mar-Oct. I down tools in February entirely save for helping the missus at The Kennels. Quite a simple life really but very glad for it. Every day is different and I rarely have to deal with that typically borish Friday afternoon question about my weekend plans.....and subsequent Monday AM one about how those two days went. Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat. Bit past that now......

zip106 03 February 2015 07:27 PM

When and where did I say it's harder being self employed?

See my post re having the day off tomorrow...

Carnut 03 February 2015 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11619736)
When and where did I say it's harder being self employed?

See my post re having the day off tomorrow...

I said that it wasn't you.

zip106 03 February 2015 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by daveyj (Post 11619732)
It's made me way more responsible with money, paperwork, etc. Through force more than anything else. Granted it isn't for everyone and in some cases it just isn't practical but I'd recommend it to anyone in my job role. Some people, like myself, don't like getting bogged down with the BS political game you always end up playing when tied to one place of work. You can get to know folk just long enough to see the working day out, which suits my Meldrew-like persona. I'm also in a fortunate position to be knocking out bacon butties in a field in the pissing rain one week then cook for a family overseas the week after that. I've never been able to do that prior to going it alone. I structure my year with enough work just to cover the outgoings and pick work up, no matter how **** it is (the rate's the same) if I find something I want to buy and can't afford without the work. It averages out as a 3.5 day working week over the year but it's clustered predominantly between Mar-Oct. I down tools in February entirely save for helping the missus at The Kennels. Quite a simple life really but very glad for it. Every day is different and I rarely have to deal with that typically borish Friday afternoon question about my weekend plans.....and subsequent Monday AM one about how those two days went. Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat. Bit past that now......

And best of all ..... no Christmas party you have to go to! :luxhello: :lol1:

daveyj 03 February 2015 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Carnut (Post 11619726)
People that are self employed preaching about how hard it is gets on my tits. Im not saying this is what you or anyone else is doing but when I went self employed it was one of the best things to ever happen to me.

You pay a much smaller percentage of what you earn than PAYE and are your own boss. Its great, get a few ins to play it safe and you are laughing.

I agree it is much better from my point of view. However, I can't get cover for income protection though as I have ADHD and no one would touch me. It's still a risk worth taking from my point of view though. Having your Saturday on a Tuesday is better for the non work-related stuff. Less people around.

I also agree that people do take the P with expenses. I'm not one for that.

On my 2013-14 return I paid £2113 on £10565 taxable income (the usual 20%). Expenses were £1500ish and I paid around £1565 in NI in the old PAYE part of the income and £240ish on my Self-Employed part. £20k income gross is a normal year. £30k plus is a very good one and about the limit for work/life balance.

This year is different as I am solely a sole trader.

daveyj 03 February 2015 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11619738)
And best of all ..... no Christmas party you have to go to! :luxhello: :lol1:

Or your pick depending on the impression you leave......

I'll pop along to the one for main client as they are good eggs. Given the time I spend there in the summer I'm practically one of the gang just not on paper.

Devildog 04 February 2015 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Carnut (Post 11619726)
People that are self employed preaching about how hard it is gets on my tits. Im not saying this is what you or anyone else is doing but when I went self employed it was one of the best things to ever happen to me.

You pay a much smaller percentage of what you earn than PAYE and are your own boss. Its great, get a few ins to play it safe and you are laughing.

Chris, you're not Matteboy's alter ego are you? :lol1:

Of course you pay less tax on your gross earnings than you would on PAYE - you're taxed on profit after deductable expenditure, not gross earnings.

The other side to that being your business related expenditure will be significantly higher than someone on PAYE who will in fact be reimbursed for that.

Yes you can take advantage of the rules (my wife has just gone self employed and we'll be deducting as much as we can) and yes many people bend them, but in reality its not the holy grail of tax avoidance you seem to be suggesting.

Carnut 05 February 2015 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 11620078)
Chris, you're not Matteboy's alter ego are you? :lol1:

Of course you pay less tax on your gross earnings than you would on PAYE - you're taxed on profit after deductable expenditure, not gross earnings.

The other side to that being your business related expenditure will be significantly higher than someone on PAYE who will in fact be reimbursed for that.

Yes you can take advantage of the rules (my wife has just gone self employed and we'll be deducting as much as we can) and yes many people bend them, but in reality its not the holy grail of tax avoidance you seem to be suggesting.

Im not saying anything about holy grail.

But thank you, this is all l wanted.

People on PAYE pay for all their own clothing that they use for work and pay for fuel etc to get there and so on etc etc.
But I suspect that what you may see is me being a cock when in fact I probably feel a bit guilty. On a typical year l would pay myself about 30k but not before putting lots of MY money in to the business, and after paying myself only 30k l only would pay about 1500 tax/NI on that and I in no way broken any laws, it's a pìss take but it's the system and l put myself and family first.

I believe some people think that because they are operating within the law that makes them a good human being, l also require my moral compass to be right before feeling comfortable with what I'm doing.

john banks 05 February 2015 10:20 AM

I pay out £32k in tax but actually see £27k. No piss taking here. Plus I have the fun of employees :rolleyes: