ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Top Gear been run out of Argentina (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1012906-top-gear-been-run-out-of-argentina.html)

dpb 30 December 2014 06:08 PM

Why didnt he rent it to them

and then get them to put it back to same order it was before they had it

Matteeboy 30 December 2014 06:14 PM

A mate has worked on several (producer); he did the Bentley rally one and TWO were used. Both were scrapped afterwards.

It's some weird rule they have.

joz8968 30 December 2014 06:22 PM

Anyone notice the Esprit's wheels were changed from the V8's original 5-spoke ones to the vanilla model's type. Just before the ferry crossing section.

Wonder why?

joz8968 30 December 2014 06:23 PM

I guess the originals got buckled and they had to fit a spare set...?

gpssti4 30 December 2014 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11592359)
Why didnt he rent it to them

and then get them to put it back to same order it was before they had it

It wasn't an option that he was given. Anyway, I think it's comon knowledge that the cars are generally quite fubar'd once they've finished with them so he didn't want it back. Apparently the Mustang forums are not too happy about him selling the car to them.

stevebt 30 December 2014 07:41 PM

It's a car, why should the Mustang forums be bothered as I bet their own users have trashed more this year :)

hodgy0_2 30 December 2014 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by gpssti4 (Post 11592436)
It wasn't an option that he was given. Anyway, I think it's comon knowledge that the cars are generally quite fubar'd once they've finished with them so he didn't want it back. Apparently the Mustang forums are not too happy about him selling the car to them.

I can sort of see their point

there can be only so many Mach 1's around

How much did he get for it

gpssti4 30 December 2014 09:16 PM

I'm not sure how much they paid him. When I speak to him I'll ask.

Tidgy 31 December 2014 01:10 PM

Finaly got roudnd to seeing it last night.

Wow what a bunch of thugs? What a great advert for the people if argentina. i bet 99% of the thuggish mob wern't even born at the time of the war.

P1Fanatic 04 January 2015 02:04 PM

I take it from JC's commentary of events that the 3 amigos were not part of the convoy that was attacked and were it safe and sound elsewhere?

Tidgy 04 January 2015 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic (Post 11595365)
I take it from JC's commentary of events that the 3 amigos were not part of the convoy that was attacked and were it safe and sound elsewhere?

no they stayed back and went another route out when mob went after the other convoy

f1_fan 04 January 2015 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11592843)
Finaly got roudnd to seeing it last night.

Wow what a bunch of thugs? What a great advert for the people if argentina. i bet 99% of the thuggish mob wern't even born at the time of the war.

Yeah it's not like we sank one of their ships in cold blood and killed hundreds of Argentinians is it now? :Whatever_

It was a deliberately provocative ploy that badly backfired on TG! Serves them right frankly!

neil-h 04 January 2015 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11595411)
Yeah it's not like we sank one of their ships in cold blood and killed hundreds of Argentinians is it now? :Whatever_

It was a deliberately provocative ploy that badly backfired on TG! Serves them right frankly!

It's not like they weren't warned.

The Trooper 1815 04 January 2015 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11592372)
A mate has worked on several (producer); he did the Bentley rally one and TWO were used. Both were scrapped afterwards.

Bollocks. I was at that Rally GB as a FIA film crew member at that Stage and only one Bentley was used.

f1_fan 04 January 2015 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11595423)
It's not like they weren't warned.

WHich is presumably why it was sailing away from the Falklands :Whatever_

neil-h 04 January 2015 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11595433)
WHich is presumably why it was sailing away from the Falklands :Whatever_

A fact which appears to be dependant on whose version if event you chose to believe and true ti firm you've chosen to believe the other side. ;)

f1_fan 04 January 2015 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11595443)
A fact which appears to be dependant on whose version if event you chose to believe and true ti firm you've chosen to believe the other side. ;)

Yes you can either believe the Argentinians, all the neutral observers, the Royal Navy itself and the entire assembled corps of war journalists as well as the radar traces all of which show it leaving the area or the 'secret government papers' discovered recently that showed it was heading to the Falklands :lol1:

dpb 04 January 2015 04:24 PM

The rest of the world inc Africa, cant believe we should lay claim to Falklands STILL

andy97 04 January 2015 04:24 PM

In times of war which the Falklands conflict was. All legitimate targets are fair game. Which is why the Argentina saw fit to launch exocet missiles at ships in Falkland sound.

Matteeboy 04 January 2015 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11595426)
Bollocks. I was at that Rally GB as a FIA film crew member at that Stage and only one Bentley was used.

Tell me the name of the Producer then...

WRXrowdy 04 January 2015 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11592372)

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11595426)

It has been said that when they film various races (car v boat etc) they go back and re film stuff after the race, so it is possible that they went back after the rally and re recorded some action footage using a second car.

I do find it a bit strange that they would scrap them afterwards. In fact I am sure I have seen a picture on the net somewhere of the Bentley being cleaned after being ragged around the stage, not sure they would bother if scrapping it.

neil-h 04 January 2015 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11595502)
I do find it a bit strange that they would scrap them afterwards. In fact I am sure I have seen a picture on the net somewhere of the Bentley being cleaned after being ragged around the stage, not sure they would bother if scrapping it.

They tend to be development mules which from memory, have to be scrapped by law. Hence why Top Gear end up with some of them, nice bit of free advertising for the manufacturers and saves them having to scrap the cars themselves.

WRXrowdy 04 January 2015 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11595507)
They tend to be development mules which from memory, have to be scrapped by law. Hence why Top Gear end up with some of them, nice bit of free advertising for the manufacturers and saves them having to scrap the cars themselves.

Correct. No mention of a second car though.
http://www.carsuk.net/what-happened-...took-rallying/

dpb 04 January 2015 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby (Post 11591840)
Is part 1 being repeated, I missed it:mad:

Here it comes again ,clogging up the airwaves :rolleyes:

Dirk Diggler 75 04 January 2015 06:39 PM

Clarkson's just a prize pr1ck don't watch the 5hite anymore ......

CrisPDuk 04 January 2015 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11592452)
I can sort of see their point

there can be only so many Mach 1's around

How much did he get for it

No great loss, the Mach 1 was a piece of sh!te :nono:

Yes it was the last of the non-emissions control cars, but it was also hideously ugly and massively overweight thanks to all the unnecessary additional steel used to make it look less tiny next to a Charger :rolleyes:

ALi-B 04 January 2015 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11595528)
Correct. No mention of a second car though.
http://www.carsuk.net/what-happened-...took-rallying/

Interesting that the article was written in 31st Jan 2013.

But the tax ran out July 2014.

Why would it still be taxed 18months after it was said to be scrapped? :wonder:

wrx300scooby 05 January 2015 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11595558)
Here it comes again ,clogging up the airwaves :rolleyes:

Got it this time, now on my planner, just need some time now to watch it:thumb:

ScoobyJawa 05 January 2015 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11595457)
The rest of the world inc Africa, cant believe we should lay claim to Falklands STILL

You are quite right, so by that logic please ensure that the US of A is given back to the Native Indians, Australia is given back to the Aborigine's etc etc etc etc

Lets not even start on the geography of Europe being returned to its "rightful" owners :rolleyes:

john1979 05 January 2015 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11595458)
In times of war which the Falklands conflict was. All legitimate targets are fair game. Which is why the Argentina saw fit to launch exocet missiles at ships in Falkland sound.

Bang on, regardless of which way it was heading it was a machine of war sunk during a war.

I have no idea what f1 fans point is. :freak3: