ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Winter Tyres ....... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/962626-winter-tyres.html)

BoozyDave 18 October 2015 10:43 PM

I ran toyo T1R's for 1 winter and they were dangerous at times, even with a damp road they would slip and slide with acceleration.

I have used vredestein ultrac ssesantas for years (just fitted a new set to my summer wheels) and they were loads better than the toyos in the winter, but still not as good as my winter tyres

I was a doubter and only decided to try winter tyres 3 years ago. I was (and still am) surprised by how much better they are at low temps, even when it's not raining/snow.

I had a good set of tyres on my work van, but when I found out the difference first hand I even bought some winter tyres for that too :thumb:

c_maguire 18 October 2015 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by madscoob (Post 11750702)
tony i converted about 4 years ago the difference is mental, i will take my winters over toyo t1rs all day long snow or no snow, they grip miles better in the cold/wet :thumb:

Maybe you can explain what your videos prove.
In the first one the Summer tyre stopped 7 metres earlier than the Winter in the wet anyway. The Summer tyre was nowt special either, whereas their Winter was top of the range and the test was skewed in favour of the Winter anyway as it was on Mira's artificially low grip surface and totally drenched.
In your second video we've no idea what the tyres were anyway, and that joker just jammed the anchors on and let the ABS stop the car.

The Winters were better in the snow. Wow.

c_maguire 18 October 2015 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave (Post 11750728)
I ran toyo T1R's for 1 winter and they were dangerous at times, even with a damp road they would slip and slide with acceleration.

I have used vredestein ultrac ssesantas for years (just fitted a new set to my summer wheels) and they were loads better than the toyos in the winter, but still not as good as my winter tyres

I was a doubter and only decided to try winter tyres 3 years ago. I was (and still am) surprised by how much better they are at low temps, even when it's not raining/snow.

I had a good set of tyres on my work van, but when I found out the difference first hand I even bought some winter tyres for that too :thumb:

T1Rs are lethal in the Summer, let alone the Winter.

I would love magic tyres that allowed me to whizz about in the Winter like I can in the Summer but they don't exist.
And overall, between November and March in good ol' Blighty, a set of Eagle F1s will give me far more performance overall than a set of Winter tyres.

madscoob 18 October 2015 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by c_maguire (Post 11750730)
Maybe you can explain what your videos prove.
In the first one the Summer tyre stopped 7 metres earlier than the Winter in the wet anyway. The Summer tyre was nowt special either, whereas their Winter was top of the range and the test was skewed in favour of the Winter anyway as it was on Mira's artificially low grip surface and totally drenched.
In your second video we've no idea what the tyres were anyway, and that joker just jammed the anchors on and let the ABS stop the car.

The Winters were better in the snow. Wow.

the tyres in the second test where continental tested at continental test center in germany if you watched the whole vid you would of noticed the presenter standing in front on continentals test center :thumb:

c_maguire 18 October 2015 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by madscoob (Post 11750736)
the tyres in the second test where continental tested at continental test center in germany if you watched the whole vid you would of noticed the presenter standing in front on continentals test center :thumb:

You do realise Continental do make more than one tyre of each type?

If I asked someone what tyres they had on their car and they said Continentals that would tell me nearly nothing apart from being better than Road Winners or some such.

stilover 22 October 2015 12:43 PM

Well, I've tried getting winter tyres for my Twingo RS Run-around.

They don't make 195/40 R17 in winter tyres !!

So it's either slip and slide around (If we get this apparent bad winter) or buy a set of 16" wheels, which I'm reluctant to do.

GWJ 22 October 2015 01:01 PM

That's an odd size.

I would advocate a 2nd set of rims though, going down to the smallest size permissible for the car.
It gives you a number of advantages.
1 The tyres are cheaper
2 less wear and tear of the rims swapping rubber every 6 months (and expense)
3 easier to swap when you want to
4 more flexibility when choosing new tyres as your not pressured into buying there and then you can wait and pick up the bargains
5 having tyres fitted to loose rims rather than the knuckle dragging tyre fitters jacking up in the wrong place and damaging the car and whacking up the nuts with the airguns so you cant change a puncture.
6 the nice summer rims are tucked up in the garage not getting salt damage

I'm sure there are more, but you get the idea

SiPie 22 October 2015 03:27 PM

Well after 5 years of winter tyres (nokians) on 2 Foresters, I've taken the plunge and am running Michelin cross climates all year round. We'll see how they deal with their first Scottish winter!

bioforger 22 October 2015 06:06 PM

But it's the same every year, they always say its going to be snowmageddon and we always end up with, if we're lucky a couple of inches, pathetic.

GWJ 22 October 2015 06:25 PM

Ah but it still gets cold, icy and slippery, which winter tyres are very good for as well.

Those cross climates look good, the recent all seasons tyres, Michelin, Nokian and Goodyear really have moved the goal posts. There is less of an argument for the summer/winter combo now

bioforger 22 October 2015 06:47 PM

meh, never had an issue in this country on any summer tyres in a scoob, you just have to adjust your driving to the conditions.

GWJ 22 October 2015 07:34 PM

Yep, stock response from the 'cant see the point of winter tyres' brigade who have never tried them

bioforger 22 October 2015 07:57 PM

lol shows how little you know, i have used them before in Germany where it's illegal not to run them during winter months. Here is it necessary? not really.

SiPie 22 October 2015 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 11752248)
lol shows how little you know, i have used them before in Germany where it's illegal not to run them during winter months. Here is it necessary? not really.

Depends on which part of our little island you live on really

ditchmyster 23 October 2015 12:21 AM

Personally never bothered with winter tyres in the UK, had a gazillion company cars and never had them as far as I'm aware, considering my driving style, which for the purposes of comparison is worse than most would treat a rental, as the vast majority were essentially rentals, need I say more.

But on my own cars both here ( croatia ) and in the UK I know fit winters, that said it was 18 in the shade at 10am ish this morning.

TonyBurns 15 November 2015 05:09 PM

Another vid for those who think summer tyres are great in winter, they also have one showing the difference between summer/winter tyres which will shock the summer tyre brigade ;)
At the end you can look at fwd v awd on snow (winter tyres v summer)

ditchmyster 15 November 2015 06:05 PM

Well Tony it's finally getting a bit cold out here in Croatia 16 degrees where I am but down in the valley it was 10 degrees yesterday, so almost time for the zero sottos that you kindly shelled out for on your Spec C and I bought the tyres and wheels included for £300 off jake, and damed fine they are too. :D

TonyBurns 15 November 2015 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11761005)
Well Tony it's finally getting a bit cold out here in Croatia 16 degrees where I am but down in the valley it was 10 degrees yesterday, so almost time for the zero sottos that you kindly shelled out for on your Spec C and I bought the tyres and wheels included for £300 off jake, and damed fine they are too. :D

They are an excellent tyre :D and good on the white stuff too ;):thumb: enjoy! :D

ALi-B 15 November 2015 08:09 PM

Hmm, Tony: FYi your embeded video compares wet performance. (And annoyingly the woman called Good-Year's bottom-end tyre, the "Efficient-Grip" a "performance tyre" - its not! :mad: )

But when clicked on it goes to the snow video:wonder:

Anyhoo...

I would still love to see direct comparisons on a 7degreeC wet road between budget winters (Wanli/Uniglory/Goodride/Triangle etc.). And top-end normal tyres that are good in the wet (Michelin Ps3/Primacy HP/Conti sportcontact4 etc.). All in controlled testing facilities (Mira etc.).

It'd make interesting comparison IMO. As currently we have a fair number of customers having their winter tyres fitted (mostly purchased online)....but swapping their PS3s and F1s for budgets like Goodride winters....and I'm thinking...why fit the cheapest budget brand at a time you'd want the most grip? :cuckoo:

GWJ 15 November 2015 08:12 PM

Because people are stupid?

TonyBurns 15 November 2015 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11761074)
Hmm, Tony: FYi your embeded video compares wet performance. (And annoyingly the woman called Good-Year's bottom-end tyre, the "Efficient-Grip" a "performance tyre" - its not! :mad: )

But when clicked on it goes to the snow video:wonder:

Anyhoo...

I would still love to see direct comparisons on a 7degreeC wet road between budget winters (Wanli/Uniglory/Goodride/Triangle etc.). And top-end normal tyres that are good in the wet (Michelin Ps3/Primacy HP/Conti sportcontact4 etc.). All in controlled testing facilities (Mira etc.).

It'd make interesting comparison IMO. As currently we have a fair number of customers having their winter tyres fitted (mostly purchased online)....but swapping their PS3s and F1s for budgets like Goodride winters....and I'm thinking...why fit the cheapest budget brand at a time you'd want the most grip? :cuckoo:

And I agree with you Ali, there is no point having top quality summer tyres and then putting on budget winter tyres hoping they will be great, they may as well just put budget summer tyres on their cars as well, ok there is a cost involved in buying a new set of tyres for winter and yes it may not seem necessary but they are far superior in those cold conditions (as long as you get decent ones and not budget) over premium summer tyres.

At the end of last year I went up to Scotland, right in the middle of nowhere for New Year, right into the Highlands in my Peugeot 208 1.6 diesel and my winter tyres (conti TS850's). 2 other cars there were an Audi A6 allroad also with Conti winter tyres (TS830's) and a porsche cayenne turbo on premium summer tyres.
We both left the Porsche, took him some time to catch us up, road conditions were light snow and icy patches.
I could have put wanli's on mine and I would have been better on my premium summer tyres, both would have been fairly deadly on those roads.

This year I need to buy some new winter tyres as my Conti's are a little bit small for my new 308 Feline, again I won't be skimping on the cost of the tyres as I do quite a few miles to get to work and living on a hill also does not help if I want to get to the shops :o

Backout05 10 December 2015 01:41 PM

All Season Tyres

Hello
just joined forum having recently acquired a 2005 outback 2.5i, which is currently shod with 3 different brands of summer tyre, two of which will need replacing very soon. Looking at option of replacing all 4 with all season type.

My annual mileage isn't high - 7-8k. trying limit budget to £65 per corner if poss.

Have been suggested either Nexen N'Priz 4S or Nangkang N607 within that price bracket.

Would be most grateful for any feedback on experience with either tyre.

Thanks

dpb 10 December 2015 01:53 PM

Surrey !

youre having a larf right ?

BlkKnight 10 December 2015 02:03 PM

My missus runs bridgestone A001 on her cmax - similar miles not bad wear

Backout05 10 December 2015 02:03 PM

No. What's funny?

Backout05 10 December 2015 02:26 PM

Thanks - will have a look at these

BoozyDave 10 December 2015 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11770207)
Surrey !

youre having a larf right ?

Doesn't it get below 7 deg in Surrey? :cuckoo:

scunnered 11 December 2015 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by SiPie (Post 11752113)
Well after 5 years of winter tyres (nokians) on 2 Foresters, I've taken the plunge and am running Michelin cross climates all year round. We'll see how they deal with their first Scottish winter!

What's your verdict of them so far?
I put a set on a week ago, and I was immediately impressed with them.
The grip and traction is incredible.

Backout05 04 January 2016 02:25 PM

Went for Nexen N'Prz 4S in the end. Good traction, cornering, stopping, etc. VERY quiet
Thanks all for advice

legacy_gtb 04 January 2016 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by SiPie (Post 11752397)
Depends on which part of our little island you live on really

Completely agree!

Snow on the flat doesn't make the difference wothwhile!

Up in the hills with the narrow lanes, wet leaves, standing water, (not going to add snow as we haven't seen any decent amount of that in years) ..... im glad of winter tyres regularly.