ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   No Lights - it's dark at night! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/992657-no-lights-its-dark-at-night.html)

corradoboy 24 December 2013 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11300192)
Faulty brake light switches on VW/Audis is very common...

Faulty bloody everything on VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda is extremely bloody common, as I well know :mad:

corradoboy 24 December 2013 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11299454)
Because sidelights should only be used when the car is stationary. Not when driving.

Originally Posted by Highway Code
You MUST

• ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
•use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).

Laws RVLR regs 3, 24, & 25, (In Scotland - RTRA 1984 sect 82 (as amended by NRSWA, para 59 of sched 8))

Surely you must agree that sidelights with rears are better than dazzling DRL's with no rear lights whatsoever !

ALi-B 26 December 2013 12:21 AM

• use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting.
Yes - headlights are considered as full beam

On lit roads you use DIPPED beam.

Of course I'm not condoning the use of DRLS instead of them.

corradoboy 31 December 2013 10:29 AM

Actually, the use of 'headlights' refers to 'dipped', with 'main' covered elsewhere.

The use of headlights in built up areas is advised, but not a legal requirement, hence the wording 'should', no 'must' in article 115....

Originally Posted by Highway Code
You should also

• use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

skoobidude 31 December 2013 10:45 AM

Bloody hell this is getting rather anal. Just use common sense.

richs2891 31 December 2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by skoobidude (Post 11308037)

Ha Ha common sense and the average motorist. Dont make me laugh. For many its just get in turn key and brain in neutral. Get to destination and be blissfully aware of any details of the journey.

I guess it why more and more car manufacturers fit auto wipers / auto lights, going for the lowest common denominator and taking more decisions away from the driver.

Ok on a 20 mins journey this am at 7am I counted 3 people with no lights on and 2 with side lights only on

Richard

skoobidude 31 December 2013 11:49 AM

I was referring to all the anal references to the Highway Code.
All drivers should use their lights when appropriate but sadly many don't as they just want to get from A to B without pressing too many buttons or turning too many switches whilst going about it.

ALi-B 31 December 2013 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by skoobidude (Post 11308037)

Aye, arguing whether something thats says should instead of must, as meaning its ok to drive round with only sidelights on in the dark is stretching it somewhat.

Common sense says you should do what it says, regardless of it saying should or must.

:D

ALi-B 31 December 2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by skoobidude (Post 11308121)
I was referring to all the anal references to the Highway Code.
All drivers should use their lights when appropriate but sadly many don't as they just want to get from A to B without pressing too many buttons or turning too many switches whilst going about it.

That includes the heater; set on full heat, fan either turned on full speed or turned off, set on recirculate and on windscreen.

And they wonder why the windows steam up all the time (usually from the wet carpets, that never dry out as the heater isn't used to dry them out)

mrburtonsir 31 December 2013 03:23 PM

Headlights on every trip whether it's dark or not, blazing sunshine, raining or any other non-descript weather condition!

Why would you not? It's easier to be seen! I'd sooner have to change my bulbs a little more often than have some chopper cut me up or drive into me because they didn't go to Specsavers!

And if it's lobbing it down and I'm on say a motorway I will use front and rear foglights. I refuse not to be seen! ( Rule 226 allows me to do this!)

Gotta be seen to be safe right?!

Ozne 31 December 2013 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by mrburtonsir (Post 11308315)
Headlights on every trip whether it's dark or not, blazing sunshine, raining or any other non-descript weather condition!

Why would you not? It's easier to be seen! I'd sooner have to change my bulbs a little more often than have some chopper cut me up or drive into me because they didn't go to Specsavers!

And if it's lobbing it down and I'm on say a motorway I will use front and rear foglights. I refuse not to be seen! ( Rule 226 allows me to do this!)

This! Being in the Military it's a standing orders offence not to have your lights on in any military vehicle. It's drilled in my head now and it's second nature, so I do it with my scoob too at all times :)

nik52wrx 31 December 2013 06:50 PM

There's nothing worse than driving behind someone with rear fogs on when it's raining, far too much glare and as per rule 236 break lights can be obscured.

Nik.

boomer 31 December 2013 10:09 PM

...And if it's lobbing it down and I'm on say a motorway I will use front and rear foglights. I refuse not to be seen! ( Rule 226 allows me to do this!)

You obviously don't have a clue what front foglights are for!! :rolleyes:

mb

tony de wonderful 31 December 2013 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow (Post 11295960)
its front and rear fogs on, on a clear stary night that c0cks my swede...

Why oh why :cuckoo::cuckoo:

Some people seem to treat their fogs as DRL's. It bloody annoying!:lol1:

tony de wonderful 31 December 2013 10:26 PM

I drive with dipped beams on night or day, but it has to be an extremely heavy downpour to warrant putting fogs on, like the sort you get in the tropics, in the UK 99.99% of the time your main beam is fine for the heaviest rain.

corradoboy 02 January 2014 08:32 PM

Beam length 3m.....

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....es/570wide.png

...now consider....

http://www.drivingtestsuccess.com/wp...gDistances.png

....so, apart from illuminating something you are about to DEFINITELY hit, what use are front fogs, apart from when driving slowly in extreme fog where they will illuminate the white line and kerb.

As for rear fogs, when this car brakes, it will be barely noticeable due to the fog lights being the same brightness as the brake lights....

http://myi4u.me/wp-content/uploads/2..._fog_light.jpg

JUST DON'T !!!!!

mrburtonsir 02 January 2014 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 11310507)
Beam length 3m..... ...now consider.... ....so, apart from illuminating something you are about to DEFINITELY hit, what use are front fogs, apart from when driving slowly in extreme fog where they will illuminate the white line and kerb. As for rear fogs, when this car brakes, it will be barely noticeable due to the fog lights being the same brightness as the brake lights.... JUST DON'T !!!!!

Front fogs are useless, agreed! Even in fog people don't use them as intended ( i.e switching off dipped beam and using just sidelights and fogs....yes that's correct!)

The reason to use them is so that others who may or may not decide to concentrate whilst driving see me! The same reason I drive with lights on all the time.

And I think you may need your eyes testing if you can't see brake lights over rear fogs, especially the centre ones fitted to most cars!

Why don't people understand that lights of any kind fitted to a car really are not to make sure you can see it's for others to see you!

BLU 02 January 2014 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mrburtonsir (Post 11310529)
And I think you may need your eyes testing if you can't see brake lights over rear fogs, especially the centre ones fitted to most cars!

Hmm, not whats recommended

Originally Posted by GOV.UK
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

You must drive in some really bad downpours if your visibility is reduced to less than 100m in rain! Can't say I've ever need fogs in the rain.....

Originally Posted by GOV.UK
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves

mrburtonsir 03 January 2014 02:12 PM

And they still don't get the point! Unsubscribed!

trails 03 January 2014 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 11310576)
Hmm, not whats recommended

You must drive in some really bad downpours if your visibility is reduced to less than 100m in rain! Can't say I've ever need fogs in the rain.....

you made him unsubscribe Trev...you clearly don't understand :lol1::lol1:

mostly see this when people are pulling out of large shopping complexes at night; they don't notice they haven't switched their lights on because the car park and surrounding infrastructure is so well lit. :brickwall

BLU 03 January 2014 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrburtonsir (Post 11311134)

Huh? I drive with my headlights lights on all the time in my work van, except when its sunny, that I do get.

I don't drive with my fogs on in the rain, thats just retarded :brickwall

BLU 03 January 2014 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 11311157)
you made him unsubscribe Trev...you clearly don't understand :lol1::lol1:

Oh dear what a terrible shame :lol1:

nik52wrx 03 January 2014 05:29 PM

I get your point.......

Never drive behind you during a rain shower :lol1:

Nik.

Originally Posted by mrburtonsir (Post 11311134)

ALi-B 03 January 2014 06:20 PM

The only time I've used rear fogs on a regulalr basis is driving through the low cloud in the Aragon mountains. Visibility is just a few metres.

I do front fogs, but they make zero difference during the daytime...just means the driver in front could see you in their mirrors - which the dipped beams were sufficient enough to do.

Very rare do I drive in the UK where visbility is poor enough to warrant using them...if you can see normal tail lamps at a distance (the braking distance as corradoboy points out), they aren't needed.